The Education Forum

Morley lawsuit back in court

3 minutes ago, Michael Clark said:

Thanks for sharing. A spy and an agency, spying on Americans and on Congress.

I think it needs to get to the U.S. Supreme Court, though I doubt it will.

Many people do not realize this but Garrison's actions against Clay Shaw actually did get up to the U.S. Supreme Court.  I wrote about it in my law school paper, "Separating Fact From Fiction:  The Ethical Dimensions of Jim Garrisons prosecution of Clay Shaw for Conspiracy in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy."

To think Morley's case has been ongoing for over 15 years.

Scary a case can take that long.

It needs to just be decided one way or the other so that it is done.

This is confusing. The judge ruled that there was "no public benefit" in the CIA releasing the Joannides records. Yet according to the article, Morley prevailed in 2008 and Joannides records were released. But obviously only some of them. So is the CIA now allowed to decide which records are of public benefit and which aren't?

Another question: If the CIA didn't assassinate JFK, why has it insisted and persisted for over half a century in acting like it did?

There are two aspects to this case.

The first is that the CIA is not giving Morley all it has on Joannides.

The second is this: if the CIA prevails here then it will discourage FOIA actions on all fronts.  Because in such actions, one of the qualifying standards is that of a public interest in the documents.  If there is, then the plaintiff does not have to pay legal fees.  The government does.

So if Morley loses, it very well  may set a standard.  This combined with what I hear is going on at the Archvies tells us about who is winning in the battle for openness on the JFK case.

14 hours ago, Cory Santos said:

I think it needs to get to the U.S. Supreme Court, though I doubt it will.

Many people do not realize this but Garrison's actions against Clay Shaw actually did get up to the U.S. Supreme Court.  I wrote about it in my law school paper, "Separating Fact From Fiction:  The Ethical Dimensions of Jim Garrisons prosecution of Clay Shaw for Conspiracy in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy."

To think Morley's case has been ongoing for over 15 years.

Scary a case can take that long.

It needs to just be decided one way or the other so that it is done.

I would love to see your paper.  I did two papers on this case while in college, but nothing in law school.  Did come up with an idea for this case in law school however, that I was prevented from pursuing due to the actions of an unethical researcher who shall remain nameless.

Kudos to Morley and especially his attorney who has been at his stuff for decades.

Dawn

I'm no attorney but as I understand it this weeks procedures are about the perceived "public benefit".  In relation to whether it justifies public remuneration for attorney fee's.  Mr. Lesear has been litigating the importance of the release of information to the public for 15 years pro bono because of his belief that We should know the Truth imo.  If They agree, We should pay him for the service of informing us because Our government won't.

A professional journalist, linked through Jeff's site can explain it better than I.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/03/19/jfk-files-15-year-lawsuit-over-mysterious-cia-agent-drags-final-files-await-release/435989002/ 

Edited by Ron Bulman

On 3/22/2018 at 5:08 AM, Dawn Meredith said:

I would love to see your paper.  I did two papers on this case while in college, but nothing in law school.  Did come up with an idea for this case in law school however, that I was prevented from pursuing due to the actions of an unethical researcher who shall remain nameless.

Kudos to Morley and especially his attorney who has been at his stuff for decades.

Dawn

Thank you, I might publish it online.  I am checking to see if any legal magazines would be interested. 

Again, thank you for the support.  If I publish it, I will let everyone know.