The Education Forum

Stunning Interview with Mort Sahl

This is incredibly revealing.  And I did not know it even existed.  David Giglio dug this out of the Pacifica Archives.

Sahl goes into detail about how his career on the broadcast air waves was ruined because he would not shut up about the JFK case.  Even though he had good ratings!  It also shows how he was blackballed from  making appearances on television.  

It was Sahl who got Garrison on The Tonight Show and his Playboy interview.  After the former, Carson told Sahl he would never be on his show again.  What chutzpah Mort Sahl had.

If you read this, along with my John Barbour interview, you will see from the inside how the corporate media did all they could to stifle the debate about the JFK case and censor Garrison.  What a nest of vipers.

https://kennedysandking.com/videos-and-interviews/mort-sahl-interview-with-elliot-mintz

Edited by James DiEugenio

"

"Look what you have here. FDR dies. What was the plan? To make Germany an occupied agricultural state. But what happens afterwards? Truman goes into office and he forms the Defense Department, the Marshall Plan, he aids the fascists in the hills of Greece to "stop communism". He founds the CIA in 1947. He gives J. Edgar Hoover a blank check, and they go ahead with the Un-American Activities Committee and they start the witch-hunts. And McCarthy comes on and bombs and the Japanese people, civilian areas, atomic bombs. And the Korean War, the bold stroke, anti-communism. We will not tolerate it anywhere. The Truman Doctrine outside the Western hemisphere. And Russia and Korea and China and Vietnam and Santa Domingo. You can see it step for step. 22 years of fascism. So that the country becomes a colonial power. Now, of course we're not made for that because that's not our tradition. So that's the conflict. That's why everybody's hung up. And they say, "Well, why do the kids look so weird?" Because you're driving their body in one direction, their head is going in another. They're being pulled apart."

Vintage Mort Sahl.

Mort Sahl should be a leading candidate for the "Profile In Courage" award in my opinion.  A truly remarkable man of courage who continued to ask for truth whatever the cost.  A very prescient, although somewhat rambling commentary, but "spot on" in so many ways.  It brings to mind Winston Churchill's quote,  "History is written by the victors" and also Adolph Hitler's, “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it".  I think Mort may have captured it best for our generation in summing it up as, ignoring unpleasant truths, because they require action and have consequences.  Most people do not see how the big picture includes them or how/what they can do to influence the outcome.  They just want to be extras in the background - get fed, get paid and go home.  I am very proud of every single "conspiracy theorist" out there who brings to light even a single thread of actual truth as opposed to the "alternative facts" presented as truth.  Off my soapbox now!  Fantastic find and thanks for posting it.

7 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

So much of this applicable to the behavior following 9/11.  Following?  On the same day.

" ... this group of neo-Nazis who have brought us fascism in the name of 'National Security'. The facts on who shot the President are in the archives because of national security. Everything is national security. The CIA's national security. The FBI is national security. And meanwhile you don't recognize your own country. " Indeed prescient.

Can you believe he was saying this stuff back in 1967, after losing a radio show, a TV show, and being blackballed by TV producers?

But he does not stop even then.  He gets Garrison on the Tonight Show, and then he get blackballed there.

That is courage.  

12 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

That is courage.

Indeed. Plus, as he chronicles in this account, he was shunted aside and frozen out by all his friends and colleagues in the entertainment business; yet he pushed on, undeterred. And counted on the true friendship of men such as Mark Lane. It makes you wonder how many of his colleagues were simply brainwashed by the media to think he was crazy, and how many were actually afraid to speak out for fear of similar treatment.

It’s positively eerie to think what transpired in one year after this nterview. The road to fascism paved with the bricks of liberals. Sorry it’s not an exact quote but he sure nailed that one.

That is something Sahl always used to say and which bothered him to no end.

Where were the liberals?  He especially had it in for George McGovern. Because he and Garrison went to the 1972 Democratic Convention and wanted to make it an issue there.

BTW, when he says he was making 600 bucks a week doing his TV show, that is about 18,000 per month today.

In other words, well over 200 K per year he blew.

He doesn't say what he was a making on his radio show.  But it was probably another 100 K inflation adjusted.

Not very many people would walk away from that kind of six figure bank roll.

"They didn't stand up to be counted when they were needed. I made the appeal. I stood up there and I said, "You know who you are and you know the fight I'm in. What's at stake is America."

This quote from the amazingly prescient Sahl, reminded me of a comment the great Italian director Sergio Leone made to Pete Hamill in an interview from 1984:

"... it made me understand that America is really the property of the world, and not only of the Americans, who, among other things, have the habit of diluting the wine of their mythical ideas with the water of the American Way of Life. America was something dreamed by philosophers, vagabonds, and the wretched of the earth way be­fore it was discovered by Spanish ships and populated by colonics from all over the world. The Americans have only rented it temporarily. If they don’t be­have well...we can always evict them. Or discover another Amer­ica."

Kudos for finding and sharing; Lane and Garrison wanted to keep the lease on America; not enough people shared their concern.

:

Leonard Bernstein was one liberal who was not in denial, and who put himself on the line regarding the assassination and other important issues. 

I did not know that Paul.

Where did you discover that info?