The Education Forum

FORUM TIPS & TRICKS

Is there any way to get a Google Drive image to show as an image insert rather than a link?

On 4/21/2020 at 8:36 AM, Sandy Larsen said:

Good idea. I'm working on it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/4/2020 at 7:33 AM, David Josephs said:

Is there any way to get a Google Drive image to show as an image insert rather than a link?

On 4/21/2020 at 9:36 AM, Sandy Larsen said:

Good idea. I'm working on it.

LOL no I'm not working on it!  Though I like the way you got me to volunteer.  :P  (My "good idea. I'm working on it" reply wasn't for David's request, but rather for Mike's request.)

Actually, I did check a couple years ago to see if what you said could be done. After a bunch of reading I came to the conclusion that it could not be done. I did this research because I was looking for a replacement for stupid Photobucket, which suddenly went from free to $400 a month!! I thought I could use Google Drive, but no, that doesn't work.

What it is that we want is called a "photo hosting site," and Google Drive is not a photo hosting site.

I never did find a good solution for this, short of a service that charges a monthly fee. But then DVP told me what he does, and it's a pretty good idea. Here's what you do:

Open a Google Blogger account. A free account gives you UNLIMITED space for storing photos. So store your photos there. Then display your photos on a (fake) blog page. Once it is there, just navigate to the photo with your browser, copy the URL, and then paste it wherever you want the photo to be displayed, for example in this forum.

Upon doing this you will never run out of image space again. Unless Google goes belly up, which is unlikely to happen in our lifetimes.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

20 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

LOL no I'm not!  Though I like the way you got me to volunteer.  :P

just grabbed a quote so you'd get the message...  didn't make the connection... :cheers

I find if you post them to the Drive/Photos and then do a search for that file's name it comes up a lot of the times...
Then you just open the image in its own window and you have an image link that produces and image from a URL

FWIW

DJ 

On 8/5/2020 at 7:29 AM, David Josephs said:

I find if you post them to the Drive/Photos and then do a search for that file's name it comes up a lot of the times...
Then you just open the image in its own window and you have an image link that produces and image from a URL

Okay, so you can get the URL that way. But if you paste it in the post editor, will it show up as a link or a photo?

I ask because on Tuesday you said, "Is there any way to get a Google Drive image to show as an image insert rather than a link?"

• 6 months later...

6 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

I don't see the trash can for deleting photos. 

Thanks Ben for notifying me of this issue. I have now updated the procedure to work with the new version of the forum software.

Instead of there being a trash can icon, there is a little X on the thumbnail photo. Click that to delete the photo.

4 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Thanks Ben for notifying me of this issue. I have now updated the procedure to work with the new version of the forum software.

Instead of there being a trash can icon, there is a little X on the thumbnail photo. Click that to delete the photo.

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 4:47 AM, Sandy Larsen said:

For anyone struggling with embedding images on a MacBook ... 

I used google photos to save screenshots, then opened them in ' Blogger' as Sandy suggests, as though I was going to make a blog.... but DON'T touch anything after choosing the image, it is automatically highlighted, then press 'control' and the touch pad to ' right click' , then hit ' copy link' in the drop down. Then when you paste the link it will embed. The key is not to publish the blog or unhighlight the image after it automatically highlights. if you do that then you'll only be able to paste as a link. You don't even need to save or publish the blog. 

I'd been saving blogs and adding links previously that probably didn't even work but I can't tell as when I hit the blogger link it is automatically open on the laptop by google. 

Edited by Jake Hammond

• 4 months later...
On 4/21/2022 at 9:06 PM, Benjamin Cole said:

I can't get rid of my attachments. I have done cartwheels, and I still can't. 

Ben,

I've written instructions on how to get rid of attachments. If you can tell me where exactly you get stuck when following my instructions, I might be able to help you. Here is a copy of my instructions:

In the upper-right corner of the forum window is an icon made up of three parallel lines. Click this to open the forum menu. Then click on Account and then My Attachments.

You will now see a list of photos you've uploaded and to the right of each photo is the post you attached the photo to.

Find the photo you want to delete. Then click the name of the thread (on the right) where you attached the photo.

This will open a new window and, if you wait a few seconds, your browser should automatically go to the post where that photo is attached. (In my case, I often need to scroll down a little. That's because of a flaw in my version of FireFox.)

In the upper-right corner of the post is an icon made up of three dots. Click this to open the post menu. Then click on Edit. At the very bottom of the editor window you will see a thumbnail copy of the photo that is attached. In the corner of the thumbnail you will see a tiny X icon. Click this to remove the photo from your allotted attachment space. Click Save to save your change.

If this same photo has been attached to multiple posts, you will need to follow these instructions for each post before the attachment will be removed from your allotted space.

26 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Ben,

I've written instructions on how to get rid of attachments. If you can tell me where exactly you get stuck when following my instructions, I might be able to help you. Here is a copy of my instructions:

In the upper-right corner of the forum window is an icon made up of three parallel lines. Click this to open the forum menu. Then click on Account and then My Attachments.

You will now see a list of photos you've uploaded and to the right of each photo is the post you attached the photo to.

Find the photo you want to delete. Then click the name of the thread (on the right) where you attached the photo.

This will open a new window and, if you wait a few seconds, your browser should automatically go to the post where that photo is attached. (In my case, I often need to scroll down a little. That's because of a flaw in my version of FireFox.)

In the upper-right corner of the post is an icon made up of three dots. Click this to open the post menu. Then click on Edit. At the very bottom of the editor window you will see a thumbnail copy of the photo that is attached. In the corner of the thumbnail you will see a tiny X icon. Click this to remove the photo from your allotted attachment space. Click Save to save your change.

If this same photo has been attached to multiple posts, you will need to follow these instructions for each post before the attachment will be removed from your allotted space.

OK thanks for your reply

OK, for me I click on my face-icon (not three lines), and the attachments option drops down. 

OK, I click on attachments, and sure enough they show up as you indicate. 

OK, I click on the three dots, and the edit option shows up.

I click on edit, and then I delete photo-attachment. 

The photo is in fact deleted, but the system still thinks the attachment is in the system, and taking up attachment space. 

That's about the best I can explain it. 

Thanks again----Ben 

8 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

OK thanks for your reply

OK, for me I click on my face-icon (not three lines), and the attachments option drops down. 

OK, I click on attachments, and sure enough they show up as you indicate. 

OK, I click on the three dots, and the edit option shows up.

I click on edit, and then I delete photo-attachment. 

The photo is in fact deleted, but the system still thinks the attachment is in the system, and taking up attachment space. 

That's about the best I can explain it. 

Thanks again----Ben 

Ben,

If you go back into the list of attachments, the one that shows ALL your photos, are the ones you deleted gone?