The Education Forum

2 hours ago, David Josephs said:

Is there any way to get a Google Drive image to show as an image insert rather than a link?

On 4/21/2020 at 9:36 AM, Sandy Larsen said:

Good idea. I'm working on it.

LOL no I'm not!  Though I like the way you got me to volunteer.  :P

Actually, I did check a couple years ago to see if what you said could be done. After a bunch of reading I came to the conclusion that it could not be done. I did this research because I was looking a replacement for stupid Photobucket, which suddenly went from free to $400 a month. I thought I could use Google Drive, but no.

What it is that we want is called a "photo hosting site," and Google Drive is not a photo hosting site.

I never did find a good solution for this, short of a service that charges a monthly fee. But then DVP told me what he does, and it's a pretty good idea. Here's what you do:

Open a Google Blogger account. A free account gives you UNLIMITED space for storing photos. So store your photos there. Then display your photos on a (fake) blog page. Once it is there, just navigate to the photo with you browser, copy the URL, and then paste it wherever you want the photo to display, for example in this forum.

Upon doing this you will never run out of image space again. Unless Google goes belly up, which is unlikely to happen in our lifetimes.

20 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

LOL no I'm not!  Though I like the way you got me to volunteer.  :P

just grabbed a quote so you'd get the message...  didn't make the connection... :cheers

I find if you post them to the Drive/Photos and then do a search for that file's name it comes up a lot of the times...
Then you just open the image in its own window and you have an image link that produces and image from a URL

FWIW

DJ 

On 8/5/2020 at 7:29 AM, David Josephs said:

I find if you post them to the Drive/Photos and then do a search for that file's name it comes up a lot of the times...
Then you just open the image in its own window and you have an image link that produces and image from a URL

Okay, so you can get the URL that way. But if you paste it in the post editor, will it show up as a link or a photo?

I ask because on Tuesday you said, "Is there any way to get a Google Drive image to show as an image insert rather than a link?"