The Education Forum

Texas State Guard Reserve Corps

Agree 100%.  

All I am thinking is the BG star is quite the motivation to do whatever is necessary...

who got promotions from Col to BG in the 2 years afterward... 

who got their star first?

On 4/29/2018 at 9:24 AM, Steve Thomas said:

The State Guard did a lot of good work in times of crisis, like natural disasters, but the potential for a lot of mischief is also there.

Hoo boy,

"State militia soldiers may play big role in Kaufman County prosecutor-killings trial "

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2013/06/29/state-militia-soldiers-may-play-big-role-in-kaufman-county-prosecutor-killings-trial

"AT A GLANCE: Texas State Guard

The Texas State Guard’s mission is to “provide mission-ready military forces to assist state and local authorities in times of state emergencies; to conduct homeland security and community service activities” and to augment the Texas Army and Air National Guard. It is a “state defense force” only. State guard units, unlike National Guard units, are never activated to serve with federal military forces."

Steve Thomas

https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/taro/tslac/30026/tsl-30026.html

Texas Adjutant General's Department:

The Governor of Texas appointed a Commanding General for the Texas State Guard Reserve Corps, to be supervised by the Adjutant General of Texas. Initially the state was divided into twelve districts, each with a colonel as regimental commander.

Later in these records, the 10th District was identified as Battalions 19, 29, 35, 51 in Dallas County, and Battalion 40. (Battalion 40 was in Collin County, just to the northeast of Dallas).

Austin Sunday American Statesman Newspaper Archives

Sunday, June 04, 1950 - Page 19

Austin Guardsmen Organize Chapter - An Austin chapter of the Texas State Guard Association organized over the weekend by approximately 50 members of the state group had Dr. Charles W, Castner as temporary chairman, and Harry S. Pollard as adjutant Permanent officers were to be elected at the next meeting of the chapter, set for Tuesday night, July 18. An arrangements committee, including Joe K. Wells, chairman; Adoue Parker and John W. Laird, was named by Dr. Castner to make plans for the general meeting. Colonel William J. Lawson, commander of the 10th District and 10th Regiment, vice president of the Texas State Guard Association, outlined the activities the 300 Texas State Guardsmen of the Austin area will have in the statewide program of the internal security organization. Judge Charles O. Betts, former 10th District commander, told the group of the State Guard’s service during the war years, and of the legislation which continued the Texas State Guard Reserve Corps in permanent status subject to active service at any time the National Guard may be called into federal service.”

More on Charles O. Betts:

http://www.texastotheworld.com/the-lbj-murder-conference/

Regardless, the jury found (Mac) Wallace guilty of murder and eleven of the panelists wanted the death penalty while one suggested life in prison. The judge in the case, Charles O. Betts, issued a “jury verdict notwithstanding” and gave Wallace a five year suspended sentence.”

http://spartacus-educational.com/JFKjohnsonJ.htm

The jury found (Mac) Wallace guilty of "murder with malice afore-thought". Eleven of the jurors were for the death penalty. The twelfth argued for life imprisonment. Judge Charles O. Betts overruled the jury and announced a sentence of five years imprisonment. He suspended the sentence and Wallace was immediately freed. “

https://www.mystatesman.com/lifestyles/murder-the-butler-pitch-and-putt/5IShFhz7fdIE9lUp4m5zcL/

According to some sources, Kinser and (Mac) Wallace were both linked romantically with Josefa Johnson, sister of future president and then-U.S. Sen. Lyndon Baines Johnson.

Some later versions say that Wallace served as LBJ’s press secretary, but that is contradicted by newspaper articles from the time, which stated he worked as an economist for the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Wallace went free and later was given a security clearance to work for a defense contractor in Washington, D.C.

http://www.startribune.com/obituary-jack-puterbaugh-dfl-stalwart-and-advance-man-for-jfk-s-final-trip/297901471/

In 1961, Puterbaugh joined Freeman in Washington. The former Minnesota governor had been appointed secretary of agriculture by the new president.

In October 1963, Puterbaugh advanced Kennedy’s trip to Duluth, where the president was the main speaker at a conference sponsored by the USDA. (U.S. Department of Agriculture)

The next month, he was sent to Texas to help find the best place for the Nov. 22 luncheon — the Trade Mart or a building on the State Fairgrounds. Along with a Secret Service agent, Puterbaugh drove both routes from Love Field, where Air Force One was going to land.... On that fateful Friday, Puterbaugh was in the pilot car — a Dallas police car — five or six blocks ahead of the presidential limousine.

(Along with George Whitmeyer, and George Lumpkin)

Two of the Dallas Police Detectives who rode in that car, either reported or testified that there was a secret service agent in the car. In his undated after-action report filed with Police Chief Jesse Curry, Detective B.L. Senkel, who rode in the car, wrote, “Deputy Chief Lumpkin told us there would be a Secret Service Agent riding with us from Love Field. We left Love Field ahead of the motorcade. Deputy Chief Lumpkin driving, Detective Turner in front right seat. I was sitting in the left rear seat, the army officer in the center, and the Secret Service agent in right rear seat.”7. In his undated after-action report, his fellow Detective F. M. Turner would write, “A Secret Service man met us at Love Field. He rode in Chief Lumpkin’s car with us out in front of the motorcade.”8. On April 3, 1964, F.M. Turner was called to testify before the Warren Commission. He was asked about the occupants of the pilot car, and responded that in addition to his partner, Detective B.L. Senkel, and an Army major whose name I do not remember, there was also was, “…also a Secret Service man, whose name I do not remember.”9.

In the Dallas Police Archives, there is an undated and unsigned report listing the positions assigned to the Homicide and Robbery Bureau officers for the security of the President. For B.L. Senkel and F.M. Turner, the report says that they were in a “Reconnaissance car with Chief G.L. Lumpkin of the City Police Department, Major Weiddemeyer of the U.S. Army, and Secret Service.”10. Also in the Archives, there is a rough draft of an unsigned and undated report listing the activities of the five men from Homicide and Robbery assigned to the President’s security (Fritz, Senkel, Turner, Boyd, and Sims). On the first page of that report is this paragraph, “At 9:50 AM Dets B.L. Senkel and F.M. Turner met Dept Chief George Lumpkin and Maj Weiddemeyer in the basement of the city hall and all proceeded to Love Field with Cheif Lumpkin driving, and arrived there at approx 10:30 AM. At approx 10:50 AM, they along with a Secret Service Agent left Love Field and proceded the presidential party by approx ½ mile and was in constant radio contact with Chief Curry.”11. (spelling and grammatical errors left intact).

7. Statement of B.L. Senkel, Detective re: President’s Assassination. Dallas Police Archives Box 3 Folder# 12, Item#1: as cited in the City of Dallas Archives – JFK Collection, http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box3.htm

8. Report on Officer’s Duties in Regards to the President’s Murder. F. M. Turner - #809. Dallas Police Archives Box 3 Folder# 13, Item#1: as cited in the City of Dallas Archives – JFK Collection, http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box3.htm

9. Testimony of F. M. Turner. Warren Commission Hearings and Exhibits, volume VII, p. 218, as cited in the History Matters Archive, http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk..._Vol7_0113b.htm

10. Report-typed, by an unknown author. Lists positions assigned Homicide and Robbery Bureau officers for the security of the President, Dallas Police Archives Box 15, Folder # 2, Item# 58 date unknown: as cited in the City of Dallas Archives – JFK Collection, http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box15.htm

11. Note - typed, by an unknown author. Rough draft of a report of the events of November 22, 1963, (Photocopy), date unknown. Dallas Police Archives Box 7, Folder# 5, Item# 23, page 1 as cited in City of Dallas Archives – JFK Collection, http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box7.htm

Steve Thomas

On 4/29/2018 at 9:24 AM, Steve Thomas said:

The State Guard did a lot of good work in times of crisis, like natural disasters, but the potential for a lot of mischief is also there.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/10/23/The-former-commander-of-a-defunct-Texas-State-Guard/2757467352000/

The former commander of a defunct Texas State Guard...

Oct. 23, 1984

FORT WORTH, Texas -- The former commander of a defunct Texas State Guard battalion says he will form a private armed militia in Tarrant County, a Dallas newspaper reported today.

Robert Holloway, former leader of the Texas State Guard's 105th Battalion, told the Dallas Morning News he would reorganize his 60-man unit into a private armed group called the National State Defense Force Association.

'We're not a pack of weirdoes or crazies. It's just a method of keeping the guys together,' Holloway said.

But he described the role of the association as 'to promote a well-trained militia capable of assuming any role, to include combat in defense of state or country.'

The all-volunteer Texas State Guard, an adjunct to the federally-supported Texas National Guard, was established to reinforce the National Guard in state emergencies.

State Guard officials ordered Holloway's unit disbanded recently because it had become too independent of the state organization under the leadership of the former Green Beret.

Holloway, 36, drew criticism from the state brass for making the unit too 'gung-ho' and was removed from the unit last spring. He allegedly led his group outside the perimeters of State Guard regulations by swapping standard green uniforms for camouflage fatigues.

David Cottom, spokesman for the Texas State Guard, said Holloway's new undertaking is no longer within the purview of the guard.

'This is totally a civilian venture,' Cottom said. 'Once he was dislodged, they're on their own.'

Steve Thomas

the other was the wrong guy... here's Lawson

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/358469799/

TAKES OATH William J. Lawson of Austin, former secretary of state, here takes his oath as a member of the board of directors of Texas A&M College, succeeding the late Herman Heep of Austin. The oath is being administered by Associate Justice Joe Greenhill of Texas Police

March 27, 1960

Edited by David Josephs

26 minutes ago, David Josephs said:

the other was the wrong guy... here's Lawson

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/358469799/

TAKES OATH William J. Lawson of Austin, former secretary of state, here takes his oath as a member of the board of directors of Texas A&M College, succeeding the late Herman Heep of Austin. The oath is being administered by Associate Justice Joe Greenhill of Texas Police

March 27, 1960

David,

Not necessarily the wrong guy.

The original 12 Districts were organized into 51 Battalions.I know who the Battalion Commanders were in the 1941-1947 time frame, but not who the District Commanders were, or even if the District Commanders were from the same area as the Battalion Commanders. The Dallas area was comprised of the 19th, 29th, 35th and 51st Battalions from Dallas Co. and the 40th from Collin Co.

I haven't written about it yet, but in 1948 the 51 Battalions were re-organized and re-constituted into 6 Defense Groups with 30 Battalions, called the Texas State Guard Reserve Corps.

This Texas State Guard Reserve Corps lasted from 1948 - 1965. In 1965, the Reserve Corps was abolished, and they went back to being the Texas State Guard.

Dallas was in the 1st Defense Group, and was comprised of the 102nd Battalion. The Records say that about half of those 30 Battalions were "Internal Security Battalions".

I do not know if the 102nd was one of those "Internal Security Battalions"

Steve Thomas

I read that the 488th Strategic Reserve Unit turned from foreign matters - oil - to domestic dissidents in the early 1960’s.

11 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

I read that the 488th Strategic Reserve Unit turned from foreign matters - oil - to domestic dissidents in the early 1960’s.

Paul,

If you read about  the Christopher Pyle revelations about the U.S. Army spying scandals in the 1960's, and the FBI's COINTEL programs, you can see the whole security apparatus of the U.S. Government shifting to quelling civil unrest.

Lately, I've been reading about the Cloverleaf, or Command Post Exercises that were held in the 1950's and 60's. To put it simply, these were annual war games held at the command level, rather than field level exercises. They were planning how to deal with a nuclear war. Part of that planning involved how to deal with civil unrest. (As in race riots and anti-war protests).

On page 121 of that Our Man in Acapulco book, the authors wrote:
p. 121. “While at the Presidio, Brandy had prepared a draft of a Domestic Emergency Plan, which he revised and submitted in 1954 as part of the Cloverleaf I exercise, to G-2 of the Fourth Army Command in Dallas, Colonel M.H. Truly.”

p. 120. Brandy wrote to Colonel J.P. Kaylor of the Fourth Army's G-2 section and “...suggested monthly or semi-monthly briefings in a private area “where classified material could be read and secured,” meetings with Civilian Defense Authorities for liaison in case of emergencies, and correspondence courses.”

From “Our Man in Acapulco”, pp. 127+ “after leaving Jamaica in early 1957, Brandy served as assistant troop commander and provost marshal of the Fourth U.S. Army Area Intelligence School for two weeks in August, 1957.

“These intelligence school sessions reviewed procedures and studies in a wide variety of areas for reserve intelligence officers including a review of a Central Index of Investigative and Domestic Subversive files.”

Steve Thomas

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2018 at 10:01 AM, Steve Thomas said:

I have asked for a copy of the following folder. I'll see what they have to say.

Texas Adjutant General's Department:

An Inventory of Texas State Guard/Texas Defense Guard/Texas State Guard Reserve Corps Records at the Texas State Archives, 1938-1983, undated (bulk 1941-1945)

Administrative records, 1940-1983, undated (bulk 1948-1983),

Conferences:

Box 1990/038-73

Folder# 13

Dallas Area Conference, 1963

Steve Thomas

Well,

This turned out to be a research bust.

The conference was held on December 1, 1963 and lasted for two hours.

Both the Texas State Adjutant General and the Commanding General for the Reserve Corps itself were there, but none of the people I was hoping to find signed in as conference participants: Logue, Castorr, Whitmeyer, Crichton, Brandstetter, etc.

I guess I need to keep looking to find out which branch of service these Colonels were part of.

I did find out how the Texas State Guard Reserve Corps was organized when it was first formed that I'll post just for curiosity's sake.

Steve Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

When I asked Larry Hancock if he had any 488th info he said no, and like you suggested looking into State Guard records, though he also said the Texas State Guard didn’t keep good records. 

Just want to ask you again about Brandstetter, who you first brought to my attention. His autobiography says that Colonel Rose at ACSI assigned him to that unit in 1959. Is that proof enough that the 488th existed? I think it is. I also read somewhere that Prouty referred to ASCI as being involved in black operations. I noticed something else - Brandstetter was Hungarian, as was Dorothe Matlack, who succeeded Colonel Rose at ACSI. She worked first with Hungarian emigres in 1956. I heard, I think on a Doug Campbell podcast linked by BA Copland on the Trejo thread on Walker, Dallas, and Oswald, that Matlack personally chaperoned DeMohrenschildt to his WC testimony hearing. According to Joan Mellen Matlack was the officer in charge of DeMohenschildts mysterious meetings in NYC and DC with Clemard Charles and CIA officials after DeM left Dallas and went to Haiti. As a possible aside, one of the attempts to kill DeGaulle by OAS included 3 Hungarians. This makes me think of CMC and Nagy. Random connections?

2 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

When I asked Larry Hancock if he had any 488th info he said no, and like you suggested looking into State Guard records, though he also said the Texas State Guard didn’t keep good records. 

Just want to ask you again about Brandstetter, who you first brought to my attention. His autobiography says that Colonel Rose at ACSI assigned him to that unit in 1959. Is that proof enough that the 488th existed? I think it is. I also read somewhere that Prouty referred to ASCI as being involved in black operations. I noticed something else - Brandstetter was Hungarian, as was Dorothe Matlack, who succeeded Colonel Rose at ACSI. She worked first with Hungarian emigres in 1956. I heard, I think on a Doug Campbell podcast linked by BA Copland on the Trejo thread on Walker, Dallas, and Oswald, that Matlack personally chaperoned DeMohrenschildt to his WC testimony hearing. According to Joan Mellen Matlack was the officer in charge of DeMohenschildts mysterious meetings in NYC and DC with Clemard Charles and CIA officials after DeM left Dallas and went to Haiti. As a possible aside, one of the attempts to kill DeGaulle by OAS included 3 Hungarians. This makes me think of CMC and Nagy. Random connections?

Paul,

I don't have Bradstetter's autobiogaphy. Can you give me the specific language he used vis a vis Rose and the 488th? Did Rose assign him to the 488th, or suggest that he join?

Do you think the 488th Detachment was part of one of those 36 "Internal Security Battalions"?

Here is a good beginning site on Matlack. It says she rose to become the Special Assistant to the Assistant Chief of Staff for Intelligence.

quote:    " In 1962, Mrs. Matlack initiated joint agency efforts which resulted in the refugee debriefings that first located Soviet missiles in Cuba."

https://www.army.mil/article/97889/this_week_in_history_dorothe_k_matlack_a_pioneer_and_champion_of_army_humint

Steve Thomas