The Education Forum

Faulty "if/then" Logic

On 5/5/2018 at 9:29 AM, Mark Knight said:

There is an abundance of faulty "if/then" logic posted from time to time on this forum. Examples:

If Oswald shot at General Walker, then he's guilty of the Kennedy assassination.

If Oswald shot JFK, then he's also guilty of killing Tippit's.

If Oswald shot Tippit's, than he's guilty of the JFK murder.

There is PLENTY of sound logic in some "if/then" statements.

If security at the DPD had been adequate, Oswald wouldn't have been murdered in the basement.

Faulty logic also includes:

If you don't buy the Warren Commission conclusions, then you're a ___________ (fill in the blank) -did-it conspiracy theorist.

Few people here actually go to the lengths that James Gordon did in investigating Connally's wounds. "Tangential strike" on the rib; who else here has gone so far as to attempt to model exactly what that meant, using 3d human torso software?  

We all too often fall for faulty logic because we don't take the time to research on more than just a surface level. When someone DOES take the time and make the effort, often we fail to consider their work because we seem to be "married" to our own pet theories.

Unlike the Warren Commission, how many of us honestly start with the evidence, rather than starting with a conclusion and working backwards?

Just something to think about.

Non-sequitur’s are so quite common unfortunately in this case when trying to solve it but I’m with Dr. Newman and Simpich: “I’m willing to be wrong” (Simpich) and “It’s police work, not dogmatism” (Newman).

12 hours ago, Kathy Beckett said:

Tom,

It's water under the bridge at this time. You should have said something before. Please don't drag old stuff back up.

Kathy,

DiEugenio's calling for you do an "intervention" on me, followed shortly thereafter on the same thread by Josephs' insinuating that I take, or should be taking psychiatric medications is ... "water under the bridge" as far as you're concerned?

Laughing Out Loud

Do you really want me to start "ratting" people out, like ... every third day?

Really?

Okaaaaaayyyyy .............

--  T.G.

Edited by Thomas Graves

31 minutes ago, Kathy Beckett said:

We never saw it.  And if it bothered you, you should have reported it.  You have been told that before.

Kathy,

Really?

None of you ever saw those threats/insults starting on page 8 of the "The KGB and the JFK Case" thread?

Just curious:  How do you know that?

I mean, I mean, I mean ... Did you ask all of them? 

Isn't it probable that at least one moderator did see those threats / insults, but since it is politically-correct-on-this-forum to make comments like those against me, just kinda decided to "let it slide"?

I mean, you know, ... seein' as how I hadn't complained to y'all in PMs 'n everythang?

An' if you don't mind my askin', How many moderators are there, anyway?

Let's see ... You, James, Mark (?), ... anybody else? 

OMG, ...gasp ... Don Jeffries? 

--  T.G.

Edited by Thomas Graves