The Education Forum

Kennedy-Related Photos (From DVP's Collection)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice how Dan Rather is not in the photo of the Queen Mary driving toward Stemmons Freeway, despite

his claim that he was standing in that area and ran over the hill to see the commotion after

the shooting. (Rather has also claimed to have been in other locations at the time of the shooting. A colleague said Rather was actually at the Trade Mart.)

I have often wondered what it was like for the men on the running board to hold on all the way to Parkland. JFK's

limousine was going 70 mph -- "fast but safe" was the order. I have driven that route at 70 mph many times. It takes

four minutes to get to Parkland at that speed. The shooting took place at 12:30, so the limo probably arrived about

12:34, and estimates of a later arrival are probably wrong. The hospital was not ready for the arrival.

Edited by Joseph McBride

41 minutes ago, Joseph McBride said:

Notice how Dan Rather is not in the photo of the Queen Mary driving toward Stemmons Freeway, despite his claim that he was standing in that area...

But just because we can't see (or identify) Dan Rather in the two McIntire photos (including the more famous one below), that doesn't mean that he wasn't near that location west of the Triple Underpass at that time. (If he was going to lie about it afterwards, why wouldn't he have placed himself right IN the Plaza itself---i.e., east of the Underpass, where the shooting actually occurred?)

Let me ask Mr. McBride a related question....

Since I've never seen a photo or film showing Hugh Aynesworth in Dealey Plaza (or at the scene of the crime when Ruby shot Oswald at City Hall either), does that mean you think Mr. Aynesworth was telling tall tales about HIS whereabouts on those two occasions too?

November-22-1963-JFKs-Car-Is-Seen-West-O

Edited by David Von Pein

I haven't looked for Aynesworth in the photos, so I don't know if he can be seen or not. What do

you think? Thanks for making these photos (and your video collection) available. There is

a fascinating unpublished ms. called THE RATHER NARRATIVE that goes into Rather's behavior

in the case in detail. I also deal with it in my 50 REASONS . . . FOR 50 YEARS video for Len Osanic

(with videography by Jeff Carter), "Political Truth: The Media and the Assassination," currently available on Vimeo.

Edited by Joseph McBride

10 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

Since I've never seen a photo or film showing Hugh Aynesworth in Dealey Plaza (or at the scene of the crime when Ruby shot Oswald at City Hall either), does that mean you think Mr. Aynesworth was telling tall tales about HIS whereabouts on those two occasions too?

Post Script....

And the same "WHY ISN'T HE SEEN IN ANY OF THE PHOTOS OR FILMS?" question can really be asked about Lee Harvey Oswald as well (albeit for a much shorter period of time), because we know Oswald was leaving the TSBD Building within minutes of the assassination, and yet there's not a single photo (or film) showing LHO exiting the building and heading east on Elm Street, despite a flurry of photos (and films) being taken at just exactly that point in time.

Edited by David Von Pein

I guess Donald Rumsfeld may have had something of a point when he remarked that "the absence

of evidence is not evidence of absence." But in Rather's case, he gave specific (conflicting) locations for

his whereabouts at the time of the assassination, and there is no evidence of him being in those locations either, and though he did not admit to being at the Trade Mart, a colleague said he was there at the time. Eddie Barker was there doing the live hookup -- as I mention in my video, Rather

had arranged for CBS-TV to have five complete camera crews in Dallas that day (including the only

live coverage), when ABC and NBC each had the usual one. The photo of the station wagon leaving

Dealey Plaza at 12:40 p.m. comports with Roger Craig's precise description of Oswald leaving

in a station wagon at that time.

Edited by Joseph McBride

12 minutes ago, Joseph McBride said:

The photo of the station wagon leaving Dealey Plaza at 12:40 p.m. comports with Roger Craig's precise description of Oswald leaving in a station wagon at that time.

Huh? You suddenly decided to switch to Craig and the Rambler. ???? I don't get the connection. What's the Craig/Rambler story got to do with where Dan Rather was located? What did I miss? ~shrug~

Or were you responding to my post about Oswald above --- in that you are inferring that Roger Craig's story (with Lee Oswald as a passenger) is somehow the same thing as having a PHOTO or FILM of OSWALD leaving the Depository (and not just a picture of a station wagon)?

~additional shrug~

Edited by David Von Pein

1 hour ago, Joseph McBride said:

Thanks for making these photos (and your video collection) available.

:up

If you know of any other photos that you think would be good additions to my Kennedy Gallery, let me know.

Also --- If you ever run across some "Lost" TV or Radio coverage of JFK's assassination that you think I might not already have in my A/V archive, please drop me a line. I haven't been able to find any "new" coverage for a little while now. In 2013, for the 50th anniversary, I was able to acquire several new items that surfaced only that year (WTIC, WHBC, and others).

I still can't help but think that there is a vast ocean of untapped assassination footage out there in many radio and TV stations' vaults somewhere. The amount of stuff that is available can really only be a drop in the bucket when compared to all those hundreds of television and radio stations around the country that were surely also recording their 11/22/63 coverage as well. It's just never been unearthed. But I'll bet it's out there in some vault or attic---someplace.

EDIT --- David Lifton might also be a good (veteran) person to ask about "Lost" JFK TV/Radio coverage too. David? Any thoughts? (Or anybody else, for that matter?)

The-JFK-Assassination-As-It-Happened-100-Plus-Hours-Logo.png

Edited by David Von Pein

Off - topic, - not being photo - related , -- but just wanted to say that I enjoyed this one particularly, - being in good quality. Thanks for sharing that one. And for the photo - links of course.

-----------------------------

Let's hope there is still footage out there, in shoeboxes in dusty attics, or similar, -----which eventually will surface. There must be some. And that there is some in tv/radio - vaults as you say, - is even more certain I think. They can't just let them dust away forever. It is history.

Sidenote; As mentioned, - I found the CriticalPast - site interesting, - but if anything there is of interest, I wouldn't know. Perhaps, or perhaps not.

552 motion-picture - results on a search with a one year date - span for instance. (1963-11-22 -- 1964-11-22)

http://www.criticalpast.com/products/search/?newSearch=1&month1=&day1=&srch=1&temp=0&rtm=1526319620&sort_by=&sort_order=&q=&color=any&audiodata=any&edited=any&language=all&date=range&dateFrom=1963-11-22&datefromhidden=1877-04-01&dateTo=1964-11-22&datetohidden=1996-04-01&location_sel=any&location=&length=any

Edited by Trygve V. Jensen

Thanks, Trygve.

Yes, I've been to the "Critical Past" site before. There are some good things there too. But all of their videos are watermarked with their own logo (which probably means they guard their copyright with an iron fist), so I wouldn't want to use those videos on my YouTube channel anyway. Plus, there's always that ugly "Critical Past" watermark on the screen every second you're watching it, which is kind of annoying.

Edited by David Von Pein