The Education Forum

From latest files: FPCC Co-founder Turned CIA in ‘62

This is something that we lost when Helms removed Whitten.

BTW, did you know that Whitten was actually on to the whole TIppit at Top Ten Records Store just a few minutes before he got killed?

Bill S told me about that one.

SO here we have Whitten wanting to talk to Gibson about Oswald.  Boy would that have been interesting.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are quite a few files that mention GIBSON in the "Title" column of the index...

I had posted the links but lost it...   and when I filter, I don't get all 50,000 rows included for some reason...

But it's easy to find

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

This is something that we lost when Helms removed Whitten.

BTW, did you know that Whitten was actually on to the whole TIppit at Top Ten Records Store just a few minutes before he got killed?

Bill S told me about that one.

SO here we have Whitten wanting to talk to Gibson about Oswald.  Boy would that have been interesting.

That Whitten would've been something else. I can almost guarantee that he would've given us FAR more than the WC ever did from just his work alone if Helms didn't axe him from the investigation...Thats amazing that he was onto Tippit and Top Ten. He seems to have a knack for knowing what Blunt calls "choke points" lol. I mean his suggestion to begin at JM/WAVE/ now Top Ten, etc. 

Greg Parker wanted me to post this since the link to his previous piece on Gibson is defunct

JOHN HAY WHITNEY FOUNDATION
Whitney set up the foundation (aka the John Hay Whitney Trust for Charitable Purposes) in 1946 to provide fellowships to the racially and culturally deprived.[53] However, it emerged in 1967 that the CIA was using the fund.[54] Given the stated purpose of the fund, the CIA could only have been interested in using it to develop assets among minority groups. Indeed, the record shows that some [periodic] funding was provided, indicating it was targeted to selected individuals via a trustee of the Fund, Whitney's old friend, Walter N Thayer.[55] One recipient of a Whitney Fellowship was Richard Gibson. Gibson, though African-American, could hardly claim to have been culturally deprived, having come from a "distinguished" Philadelphian family which included renowned artist, Henry Tanner.[56] Gibson skipped out on a debt to Kenyon College when he was granted a years funding in 1951 to attend the American Academy in Rome.[57] The purpose had been to write a book, ultimately titled "A Mirror for Magistrates", but not published until 1958. In the interim, The Whitney Foundation came good with further largesse, allowing him to live the life of the ex-pat in Paris.[58] Here was the first inkling that Gibson was somehow working for the CIA in what became known as "the Gibson Affair". One of the conditions under which the ex-pat African-American colony lived was not to criticize French Foreign policy . However, in 1957, a letter was published in LIFE Magazine under the name of cartoonist, Ollie Harrington which condemned, in no uncertain terms, French policy in Algeria. The problem was that Harrington, an African-American ex-pat with communist sympathies, had not written the letter. Similar letters went to London publications. Facing deportation, Harrington initiated an investigation headed by criminal lawyer, Jacques Mercier. This in turn, led to police finding conclusive evidence showing Gibson had forged the signatures. Faced with the evidence, Gibson confessed. The net result of the affair was the disintegration of trust and morale among the ex-pats (some of whom had been critical of US foreign policy), and a job for Gibson at CBS in London.[59] By 1960 Gibson, still with CBS, was back in the US working on the late night shift alongside fellow newsmen Robert Taber and Ed Haddad. These three, together with Alan Sagner, Charles Santos-Buch, Waldo Frank and Carleton Beal became the convocation to form the Fair Play Cuba Committee. (FPCC)[60] The official version of how the FPCC was formed runs like this: Robert Taber wrote a defense of the Cuban revolution for The Nation in January, 1960. After reading the piece, Sagner decided something needed to be done to counter US propaganda, and contacted the author at CBS. They met, together with Charles Santos-Buch to discuss Sagner's idea to form a "Fair Play for Cuba Committee" with the support of "prominent names" to launch a counter-propaganda campaign and perhaps send a delegation to Cuba. Sagner further suggested that the announcement proclaiming the formation of the committee should be via an ad in the New York Times. The ad duly appeared in the April 6 edition.[61] If the "ad hoc" appearance of the formation of the FPCC seems to negate any suggestion that the FPCC was a CIA operation from the very outset, consider the following: Alan Sagner was a New Jersey Real Estate developer with close ties to the Democratic Party. From 1977 to 1985, he was Chairman of the New York and New Jersey Port Authority and from 1996 to 1998, he was a Clinton appointee to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting board of directors.[62]

In 1997 Sagner was general chairman of the New Jersey Campaign for a Nuclear Freeze, and saw no inconsistency when, that same year as Port Authority chairman, he lobbied hard to get the nuclear fleet "home-ported" in New York.[63]

He was a long time financial supporter of The Nation.[64]

Robert Taber worked for the Mockingbird connected CBS and wrote the Nation article which "inspired" Sagner. The Nation is long-suspected of "Left-gate-keeping" for the CIA.

Taber and Gibson were considered the real forces behind the FPCC. Gibson had been suspected of being a CIA asset while in France, and had received funding while in Europe through the Whitney Foundation. This Foundation was revealed in 1967 to be a conduit for CIA money - in this case targeted to individuals from minority groups who may prove valuable assets in future.

Whitney owned a string of radio and TV stations through his company, Corinthian Broadcasting Corp. These were all CBS affiliates.[65] Having at least some control over both sides of the propaganda war on Cuba would have had its advantages. And who knows what else that control may be turned to in other operations?

15 hours ago, Mike Kilroy said:

Whitten and Sprauge - the two honest investigators who would’ve got to the bottom of this whole charade if allowed to proceed.

Now I'm confused...

John Whitten was a high ranking CIA official... he's the author of the Scelso Deposition...  why would he be working to expose the CIA?

Is this the same person you mean ??

With regards to Hardaway and Lopez... I think all one need know is this:

5a99b3b957456_LopezreportstatementaboutOswaldtriptoMexico.jpg.769c4885e984bce12daa6981e0cf9ae6.jpg

:huh:

The assumption was that Oswald was actually there...  a very poor place from which to start....

http://jfkfacts.org/hardway-declaration-cia-stonewalled-jfk-investigation/

At the CIA, Angleton killed John Whitten’s efforts to investigate Oswald’s Cuban contacts.

I learned that David Atlee Phillips, contrary to his sworn testimony to the HSCA in his first Executive Session appearance, had not been in Mexico City at the time of LHO's alleged visit to that city. He had been on a temporary duty assignment at CIA Headquarters and at the CIA JMWAVE station in Miami.

Yes, yet as I show.. Phillips is promoted to the Cuban Desk in Mexico on Friday Sept 27....  while Oswald, Mugrado and "Leopoldo" are with Odio in Dallas...

I was able to establish that most of the sources of the stories (read: Alvarado & Duran) were, or had been, agents or assets used at one time or another by David Atlee Phillips

-----

It also delves into the DRE and the staged encounter in New Orleans...  yet Odio and the two other men spoke of JURE

And weren't those two groups at odds with each other?  1 man involved with both groups would be a big red flag... right?

26 minutes ago, David Josephs said:

Now I'm confused...

John Whitten was a high ranking CIA official... he's the author of the Scelso Deposition...  why would he be working to expose the CIA?

Is this the same person you mean ??

With regards to Hardaway and Lopez... I think all one need know is this:

5a99b3b957456_LopezreportstatementaboutOswaldtriptoMexico.jpg.769c4885e984bce12daa6981e0cf9ae6.jpg

:huh:

The assumption was that Oswald was actually there...  a very poor place from which to start....

http://jfkfacts.org/hardway-declaration-cia-stonewalled-jfk-investigation/

At the CIA, Angleton killed John Whitten’s efforts to investigate Oswald’s Cuban contacts.

I learned that David Atlee Phillips, contrary to his sworn testimony to the HSCA in his first Executive Session appearance, had not been in Mexico City at the time of LHO's alleged visit to that city. He had been on a temporary duty assignment at CIA Headquarters and at the CIA JMWAVE station in Miami.

Yes, yet as I show.. Phillips is promoted to the Cuban Desk in Mexico on Friday Sept 27....  while Oswald, Mugrado and "Leopoldo" are with Odio in Dallas...

I was able to establish that most of the sources of the stories (read: Alvarado & Duran) were, or had been, agents or assets used at one time or another by David Atlee Phillips

-----

It also delves into the DRE and the staged encounter in New Orleans...  yet Odio and the two other men spoke of JURE

And weren't those two groups at odds with each other?  1 man involved with both groups would be a big red flag... right?

As I understand it, Whiitten was removed from the internal investigation by Helms and replaced by Angleton when he felt they had lied to him about LHO and started exploring the Cuban/JMWAVE nexus. He was the only one of the bunch whose career didn’t rise after the assassination and eventually left the agency. So he has my vote as a patriot seeking the truth.

1 hour ago, Martin Blank said:

just a side note signifying nothing. he went to my alma mater kenyon college in ohio.

An Ohio appears to be where many of the defectors on that list came from....  the home of the RAND corp, among others

5 hours ago, David Josephs said:

Thanks Mike... 

A patriot in the CIA - who would have thought...   ;)

1 hour ago, David Josephs said:

An Ohio appears to be where many of the defectors on that list came from....  the home of the RAND corp, among others

can't seem to find list of ohio defectorr. can you point me. thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I can't help be wonder if Gibson played any part in Richard Wright's suspicious death on 28 November 1960, given what we know about Gibson today. Wright's work with Indonesian artists and intellectuals also takes on a new dimension given what we know about Allen Dulles's machinations in that country.

Edited by Rob Couteau

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Viewed through the lens of the strategy of tension, I wonder if the FPCC was the real intended patsy, with Lee Harvey Oswald as its public face.

Steve Thomas

If the intended patsy was going to be the FPCC, it would explain Oswald's New Orleans efforts in the Spring of 1963 to join and organize an FPCC presence there.

I think his alleged trip to Mexico City in an attempt to get to Cuba by flashing his FPCC credentials as bona fides, is a further example of this.

If there was a conspiracy to assassinate JFK, some people have asked when it was hatched. I used to think it was after JFK's speech at American University in June of 1963.

I now think it went back further than that, and believe that it was hatched after JFK's refusal to invade Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis in October, 1962.

This may also explain the missing two weeks in Oswald's chronology from October 19 to November 3, 1962. I think he was being trained or groomed to infiltrate the FPCC. He thought he was part of an effort to infiltrate and learn everything he could about that organization. In reality, he was being set up to take the fall when JFK was killed.

Steve Thomas