The Education Forum

Is this something most researchers are aware of?

I just came across this from one of my local TV stations archive of news films.  I have not viewed the film yet, but it has a transcript attached.  I had never heard of this information before, so I don't know if it is well known in the research community or not..

http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/news/id:wsbn45769

In this series of WSB-TV newfilm clips of Elaine Glosson being interviewed by an unidentified male reporter on December 4, 1963, she is seen discussing Lee Harvey Oswald staying at the Atlanta-area hotel she worked at. Ms. Glosson is shown sitting in a chair in front of a black background as an unidentified male reporter asks her various questions about her interactions with Lee Harvey Oswald at the Northwest Holiday Inn in Atlanta. The interview is transcribed in full below.

The first clip begins in the middle of the interview.

Glosson: ... "The manner in which he was dressed and actually his mannerisms; they were sort of cocky. He was dressed sort of shabbily--he needed to shave--just sports clothes."

Reporter: "He stayed at the motel how many nights?"

Glosson: "The first time he stayed one night."

Reporter: "Oh, he came back?"

Glosson: "Yes, he came back again."

Reporter: "Well what happened after the first time?" [clip skips forward here] "...came from?" [It's probable he's asking about the gun Oswald left behind.]

Glosson: "I'm not certain. I think it was from Birmingham, Alabama."

Reporter: "And did he come back after the gun?"

Glosson: "Yes, he did. It was about three nights later. He came in the office and registered and asked for his gun and we took him back to my manager's office behind the front desk and he got the gun out of the safe for him, and he asked him for some identification and he produced the Texas driver's license with his name on it."

Reporter: "And what was the name on it?"

Glosson: "Lee H. Oswald."

[Here the clip zooms out and shows the reporter.]

Reporter: "What kind of gun was it?"

Glosson: "It was a revolver. It had a pearl handle and the barrel was, I think it was unusually long. Well, I don't know too much about guns but it looked so to me."

Reporter: "Did you question him or did anyone question him about what he was doing with a gun?"

Glosson: "No, he made no excuse whatsoever for having the gun."

[Here the clip zooms back in.]

Reporter: "He left the motel without incident, did he?"

Glosson: "Yes."

Reporter: "And when did you have next occasion to think about this man?"

Glosson: "Well actually he really made an impression on me that night; I thought about it several times. But the Friday the President was shot, I heard the name on the radio and then it sounded very familiar. He was about the same age man and from the description--I hadn't seen a picture of him--it sounded like the same man. But later on that afternoon I saw his picture on TV and I knew then that it was the same man."

Reporter: "Did the other employees at the motel see him?"

Glosson: "Yes. Mmhmm."

Reporter: "Do they think it's the same man?"

Glosson: "Yes, they do."

Supporting information was taken from the following source: The Harold Weisberg Archive, Digital Collection. Hood College. Web. 16 June 2015.

Clip no.: wsbn45769

Title supplied by cataloger.

When was the actual incident, that is when this Oswald lookalike  was there?

In Joan Mellen's book A Farewell to Justice, she discusses a rather provocative incident that took place in I think Lafeyette LA that is sort of like this one and was supposed to attract attention to Oswald.

Edited by James DiEugenio

The interview was on December 4, 1963, but it does not mention the date(s)  Oswald supposedly stayed at the hotel.  It does say the transcript begins in the middle of the interview.  I'll have to try watching the interview and see if it includes more info.

Additional Info added:  Couldn't edit, so I added it here.

WSB TV and radio originate out of Atlanta, GA and are currently part of Cox Media Group.  They saved a lot of raw footage from 1949-1981 for historical reference, unfortunately it is only of local coverage for the most part which deals with events or people in/around Atlanta.  There are a few films which deal with JFK and the assassination.  The others include various people reacting to the assassination or the Warren Commission Report (an elementary school principal/students creating an uproar about something to do with the assassination) and one with Mark Lane who was evidently in Atlanta (1967/1968).  There are (4) clips of Robert Welch (JBS) from 1957-1967 making comments on communism, the Warren Commission, etc.

Edited by Richard Price

Thanks to Richard Price for pointing out this fascinating video.

How many times does a man have to be impersonated before you begin to wonder if there is a simpler explanation? Just to point out the obvious....

Sanders.gif

Frair%201.jpg

Frair%202.jpg

Lots of other people knew about one of the Lee Harvey Oswalds' valid Texas driver's license.  See....

THE MAN WHO COULD--AND COULDN'T--DRIVE

From the H&L website:

PEOPLE WHO HAD KNOWLEDGE THAT LEE COULD DRIVE

Cliff Shasteen

Joyce Bostic

Leonard Hutchison

Inez Laake

Fred Moore (saw driver's license)

Gayle Scott

Malcolm Price

Peggy Smith

Floyd Guy Davis

Mrs. Ernie Isaacs

Gertrude Hunter

Margaret Budreau

Edith Whitworth

Clifford Wormser

Red Pope

FBI Agent Bob Barrett (saw driver's license)

Leo Sepulveda

DPD Captain Westbrook (saw driver's license)

Sonny Stewart

Edward Brand

Robert Janca

Garland Slack

Robert Roy

William J. Chesher

Al Bogard

Howard Price

W.M. Hannie

Sterling Wood

Mrs. Lee Bozarth (handled Oswald's driver's license)

Dr. Homer Wood

Aletha Frair (held Oswald's driver's license)

Randy Sundy

Jim - you think this is evidence of two Oswalds? I’m not baiting you just checking. Interesting that Westbrook saw it. Also notable that none of the names are familiar (to me at least).

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Jim - you think this is evidence of two Oswalds? I’m not baiting you just checking. Interesting that Westbrook saw it. Also notable that none of the names are familiar (to me at least).

Paul,

From the chart above....

Cliff Shasteen was American-born LEE Oswald's barber in Texas, who cut his hair on numerous occasions in 1963 while Russian-speaking HARVEY Oswald and family were still living in New Orleans.  Shasteen testified at length to the Warren Commission, and if you know the official "Oswald" timeline, his testimony explains almost everything.

Shasteen told both the FBI and Warren Commission that Oswald drove Ruth Paine's station wagon to his barber shop and he watched him cross the street and enter Leonard Hutchison's grocery store. Shasteen said, "He (Lee Oswald) drove that there 1955, I think it's a 1955, I'm sure it's a 1955 Chevrolet station wagon. It's either blue and white or green and white--it's two toned--I know that."  Shasteen observed this remembering the summer of 1963, when HARVEY Oswald and family were still living in New Orleans.

Gertrude Hunter and Edith Whitworth were at the Furniture Mart in Irving, TX (near Dallas) when "Oswald" and his entire "family" approached them looking for gun parts in 1963. Whitworth sent him to Dial Ryder's gun shop.  Both Hunter and Whitworth testified to the Warren Commission, and the WC actually brought Hunter, Whitworth and Marina Oswald together to determine whether "Oswald" could drive a car.  In my opinion, it was the WC's boldest attempt to find the truth about Oswald in this whole sordid case.

FBI agent Bob Barrett saw the American-born Oswald's driver's license at 10th & Patton immediately after the Tippit murder. This info is widely available on the Internet. 

Leo Sepulveda is one of the many witnesses who said he saw LEE Oswald in Alice, Texas on October 4th, 1963.  His co-worker M.E. Pope remembered that the young man both of them saw gave his name as "Oswald" and listed his Marine Corps service on his employment application. Pope described Oswald as 30 years old, 5-foot-8, about 150 lbs, and recalled that his wife waited for him in an old Plymouth or Chevrolet sedan. After the assassination both Sepulveda and Pope said the man accused of assassinating President Kennedy was the same man they saw in Alice, Texas on October 4, 1963.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to discuss other people on the chart above who knew American-born LEE Oswald could drive a car. 

Edited by Jim Hargrove

15 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

If you're interested, I'd be happy to discuss other people on the chart above who knew American-born LEE Oswald could drive a car. 

Jim,

One implication of John Armstrong's Harvey and Lee thesis I can't seem to find any distilled info on, like a chart,  and you're obliquely referring to with the incident of Lee being seen driving Ruth Paine's station wagon, is the existence  of a certain group of people who knowingly interacted with both Lee and Harvey and knew of their separate identities.     Discounting the lady at the Texas Employment Office, the list begins with Ruth Paine, Marina Oswald, Robert Oswald, John Pic(?), and Harvey's mother/caretaker.  But there must be others,  like uncle Charles and aunt Lillian Murret, Lee's blood relations,  and certain key players in the plot, like Ruby and Ferrie.  Anyway, if John Armstrong has addressed this issue of the select group who knew both Harvey and Lee and of their separate identities I'd like to know where I can read about  it.

This is a little off topic, but I have to say that Armstrong's speculative essay "Escape from the 6th Floor" which is on the Harvey and Lee website is one of my favorite reads.  Obviously he spent a lot of time sleuthing this out.  He also did one of the best analysis/reconstructions of the Tippit murder.  But all this is for another thread.

Dan

Dan,

John would agree with most of the names on your list, with the notable exception of Marina Oswald.  I suspect every effort was made to keep her unaware of the other LHO.  A couple of years ago, John replied directly to questions of who knew about the "Oswald plot," let's call it, and made it pretty clear who he thought knew about the two LHOs even if they were unaware of the assassination conspiracy. Here's a link to the list:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/23677-a-couple-of-real-gems-from-the-harvey-and-lee-website/?do=findComment&comment=361688

Also, back to the subject of this thread, DPD Detective Paul Bentley, who supposedly took the wallet from Oswald, gave a WFAA-TV interview the day after the assassination (while Harvey Oswald was still alive) and said that he thought there was a driver's license in Oswald's wallet.  He makes the assertion at the 9-minute mark of the video below:

On 6/7/2018 at 1:56 PM, Jim Hargrove said:

Dan,

John would agree with most of the names on your list, with the notable exception of Marina Oswald.  I suspect every effort was made to keep her unaware of the other LHO.  A couple of years ago, John replied directly to questions of who knew about the "Oswald plot," let's call it, and made it pretty clear who he thought knew about the two LHOs even if they were unaware of the assassination conspiracy. Here's a link to the list:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/23677-a-couple-of-real-gems-from-the-harvey-and-lee-website/?do=findComment&comment=361688

Also, back to the subject of this thread, DPD Detective Paul Bentley, who supposedly took the wallet from Oswald, gave a WFAA-TV interview the day after the assassination (while Harvey Oswald was still alive) and said that he thought there was a driver's license in Oswald's wallet.  He makes the assertion at the 9-minute mark of the video below:

Off thread I know, but at the end of the 2018 SF Newman presentation which you can access on the KGB thread, Peter Dale Scott asks Newman if he’s sure that the Oswald defector is the same Oswald as the one killed in Dallas, and Newman responds “no - I have an open mind about that”.

13 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Off thread I know, but at the end of the 2018 SF Newman presentation which you can access on the KGB thread, Peter Dale Scott asks Newman if he’s sure that the Oswald defector is the same Oswald as the one killed in Dallas, and Newman responds “no - I have an open mind about that”.

I saw that, but in this case the false defector and the man killed by Ruby were one and the same... Russian-speaking Harvey Oswald.  The difficulty in analyzing "Oswald" is that the summation can only come from hundreds or thousands of little details... hard to remember all at once.

At a JFK conference during which both John Newman and John Armstrong spoke in the late 1990s, I talked briefly with Dr. Newman about Armstrong's Harvey and Lee analysis, publicly first presented just a year or two earlier.  Dr. Newman only said that the official biography of "Oswald," especially his early years, had never been looked at critically before and that it was fascinating.

I suppose it is just one more minor detail, but I'm absolutely stunned that so few researchers find interesting the fact that just hours after he allegedly took LHO's wallet from him, DPD Det. Paul Bentley said on WFAA-TV that he thought the wallet contained a driver's license and credit cards!  Nothing to think about there, eh?