The Education Forum

Oswald's Rifle Skills?

We could debate Oswald's skill with any sort of firearm, but the reality is that he was a Marine when great emphasis was on shooting skills AND He was trained on the M-1 Garand, a .30 caliber semiautomatic rifle that held 8 rounds without a reload. If his goal was to assassinate the president he could have stolen an M-1 Garand if he lacked the funds to buy one.Semi auto means he could launch 8 rounds quickly from a very accurate rifle. I have one and agree with George Patton that it was a superb battle rifle. Remember Oswald was not stupid or crazy.

2 hours ago, Evan Marshall said:

We could debate Oswald's skill with any sort of firearm, but the reality is that he was a Marine when great emphasis was on shooting skills AND He was trained on the M-1 Garand, a .30 caliber semiautomatic rifle that held 8 rounds without a reload. If his goal was to assassinate the president he could have stolen an M-1 Garand if he lacked the funds to buy one.Semi auto means he could launch 8 rounds quickly from a very accurate rifle. I have one and agree with George Patton that it was a superb battle rifle. Remember Oswald was not stupid or crazy.

Nope he was not.  Got his GED while in the Marines, became a radar operator for the USMC, learned the I've heard difficult language of Russian.  And he could have walked into any gun shop in Texas at the time and purchased a much better weapon than the Carcano with no record of it.  He was led and used.

Oh, I agree he was led and used, but which of us have never been?  Anyone who selected him for anything other than patsy would have demanded a refund. I was simply pointing out he had been trained on a superb battle rifle and would selected a better rifle if he had actually been playing to shoot anyone.

Evan,

I don't know about Oswald's shooting skills.  If he remained a Marine than I suppose he was adequate for an infantryman which means he could hit his man.  If the photo showing him firing the M-1 is anything indicative of his shooting skills then he would be amazing.  The photo of him shooting the M-1 is textbook perfect and could be used as an illustration of how to hold and fire a weapon.

My oldest grandson recently graduated from Boot Camp with the top score with the M16 with the Acog sight. Oswald's scores were not near as good as his positions.

Evan,

It is great to hear from an American Patriot.  Pass on to your grandson my thanks for this service.  Not everyone is willing to put themselves on the line.

We have 32 grandkids and he is the oldest. Served an LDS Mission in Bulgaria and then joined the USMC. Went to the Monterrey Language School were he graduated 1st. He is currently serving in counter intelligence and awaiting his first daughter, our 2nd great grand child!

Derek has always kept his own counsel.

Agreed, but those are those who insist was hired by others to murder JFK.