The Education Forum

Very poor taste by the French.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm offended but amused.  Could it really draw attention to the silliness of the single bullet Theory? Or will people laugh off the execution of JFK? 

Edited by Ron Bulman

7 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

I think it’s funny 

Amusing...nothin' sacred in my book...speaks to the enduring place of the JFK assassination in pop culture.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

I imagine the French, like most foreigners, thought that the Warren Report was a joke back in 1964. You had to be an Ugly ("It couldn't happen here") American to believe it.

5 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

thought that the Warren Report was a joke

I'm afraid to disappoint those who think otherwise, but I agree with those who are not offended. Eventually, ideas that are unsustainable leave themselves open to satire and irony and mockery. I'm thinking of Marx's phrase that history repeats itself, first as tragedy and then as farce.

26 minutes ago, Robert Harper said:

I'm afraid to disappoint those who think otherwise, but I agree with those who are not offended. Eventually, ideas that are unsustainable leave themselves open to satire and irony and mockery. I'm thinking of Marx's phrase that history repeats itself, first as tragedy and then as farce.

Unfortunately, it's not satire. It's a commercial ...

1 hour ago, Rich Pope said:

Why don't you guys make fun of the crucifixion while you're at it? 

You mean like Monty Python's "Life of Brian"?

1 hour ago, Rich Pope said:

If nothing is off-limits...throw Hitler and the concentration camps in with your twisted sense of humor.  

You mean like Mel Brooks' "The Producers," or a number of "Seinfeld" episodes, like the time Newman busted Jerry making out at the theater during "Shindler's List"?

Edited by Cliff Varnell

26 minutes ago, Rich Pope said:

Cliff,

People who have any semblance of class or clarity don't make fun of tragedy.  Any comedian who espouses the theory of "nothing is off-limits" is lazy at his craft.That includes Monty Python, Mel Brooks and Jerry Seinfeld.   In addition, a commercial that incorporates the assassination of JFK lacks inventiveness and ingenuity.  If you believe there is anything funny about the assassination of our nation's President, you don't belong on this forum.

Spare us the self-righteous moralizing.

This is funny:

22 minutes ago, Rich Pope said:

The Dallas Police may have been the epitome of Keystone Cops but they were not involved in the assassination.  

Thank you for the belly laugh Rich!  

If the execution of Tippett  and Oswald are not part of it I don't know what is.  They were not accidental happenings stumbled upon by keystone cops. 

Have you never watched the video?  Watch Fritz get out of the way, he's not protecting anybody, nor does he have anyone assigned (his responsibility) to do so immediately behind him.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ruby+shoots+oswald+video&view=detail&mid=BB7457E3BA67670428BFBB7457E3BA67670428BF&FORM=VIRE

4 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

You mean like Monty Python's "Life of Brian"?

You mean like Mel Brooks' "The Producers," or a number of "Seinfeld" episodes, like the time Newman busted Jerry making out at the theater during "Shindler's List"?

Exactly - you pulled up all the right references. It was a gimme.