The Education Forum

Wishlist for researchers

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

Michael,  here would be my thought on what to look for...given documents we have had and what Newman introduced at the Lancer conference last fall.

1) Anything that shows us who or even what section of the CIA station in Havana that Veciana contacted about assassinating Castro in 1960. That would answer one huge question. 

2) The same for who at CIA he contacted in 1962. David's document confirms that those contacts were made so we know we are hunting for something real and that does confirm that Veciana was approaching the CIA - and being rejected.  So any contact document on his approaches and subsequent rejection are key.

3) Anything that shows an effort by CIA to monitor Alpha 66, including sources (whether they be Army sources or CIA sources).  We know that the administration was upset and embarrassed by the ongoing raids,  we know that Alpha was actually more successful on its missions than JM/WAVE.  The question is how much did CIA HQ know about the missions as compared to JM/WAVE and was somebody playing games.  In SWHT I present info that JM/WAVE had advance knowledge of the missions,  we should see if they provided that to HQ in their reports or somebody was sandbagging HQ and/or the SGA with a local agenda. 

In reference to that, look for any reports going to J.C. King.  We know that JM/WAVE and King approved the TILT mission without informing the SGA and RFK.  Up to now that has been an exception, question is was it also happening with Alpha 66.

On 7/1/2018 at 7:39 PM, Michael Clark said:

On 7/1/2018 at 7:39 PM, Michael Clark said:

Larry Hancock said, "Anything that shows us who or even what section of the CIA station in Havana that Veciana contacted about assassinating Castro in 1960. That would answer one huge question."

Posted by David Boylan in the Education Forum 7/1/18

Larry,...

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/180-10144-10153.pdf

The other was a Task Force W report from William Harvey himself. He was complaining about Veciana.I'll see if I can locate this.

From page 7 of that pdf:

So, who was the Havana Chief of Station in 1960?

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

A worthwhile question Steve, don't know off the top of my head.  However the American Embassy in Havana was under intense pressure and facing expulsion in 1960.  Any direct contacts by Veciana would be very dangerous.  We do know that earlier when Sturgis offered a Castro assassination plot to the CIA it was channeled though through the Embassy's military attache - none other than David Morales.

Check SWHT 2010 p. 137 for the 1960 Veciana offer memo (the contact crypt is Olien), there is a CIA document on the offer - see RIF 104-10315-10038  Havana to JM/WAVE (I'd forgotten all about that document..sigh).

My thought is that in 1960 Veciana would have to relay such an offer through someone that was in contact with his revolutionary group inside Cuba, and we do know from both Phillip's own book as well as CIA documents that he was indeed in contact with revolutionary groups and coming across talk of killing Castro. That is why I have thought up to this point that the offer did come through Phillips. Another deep cover American asset that could have passed on such talk was Tony Sforza. 

On 7/2/2018 at 9:29 AM, Larry Hancock said:

A worthwhile question Steve, don't know off the top of my head.  However the American Embassy in Havana was under intense pressure and facing expulsion in 1960.  Any direct contacts by Veciana would be very dangerous.  We do know that earlier when Sturgis offered a Castro assassination plot to the CIA it was channeled though through the Embassy's military attache - none other than David Morales.

Check SWHT 2010 p. 137 for the 1960 Veciana offer memo (the contact crypt is Olien), there is a CIA document on the offer - see RIF 104-10315-10038  Havana to JM/WAVE (I'd forgotten all about that document..sigh).

My thought is that in 1960 Veciana would have to relay such an offer through someone that was in contact with his revolutionary group inside Cuba, and we do know from both Phillip's own book as well as CIA documents that he was indeed in contact with revolutionary groups and coming across talk of killing Castro. That is why I have thought up to this point that the offer did come through Phillips. Another deep cover American asset that could have passed on such talk was Tony Sforza. 

Larry,

I know this may be a little simplistic, but what about Frank Brandstetter?

Cryptonym: AMSPICE-1

Definition:

Geraldine Shamma de Carrera aka Geraldine Shamman de Carrera, close colleague of Manuel Artime in 1960.

https://www.maryferrell.org/php/cryptdb.php?id=AMSPICE-1

H. P. Albarelli, Jr., A Secret Order (2013)

This book states that Shamma frequently met in Havana with David Morales and Army Intelligence officer Frank Brandstetter. June Cobb frequently met with them as well.

A Secret Order: Investigating the High Strangeness and Synchronicity in the ...

By H. Albarelli, Jr.

https://books.google.com/books?id=SfoBBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT221&lpg=PT221&dq=Brandstetter+Cuba&source=bl&ots=tI-Y8QgEPy&sig=gUCFwGQAiI40N5JY4bp2LrsK-G4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG9eTK1YDcAhUh9IMKHdn1CEEQ6AEIODAD#v=onepage&q=Brandstetter Cuba&f=false

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

Student here. I’d like to see more or newly revealed info on the following and in no order:

* FBI Reports on Mexico City, 1963

* Any info on Bill Harvey, Felipe Vidal Santiago, David Morales, Tony Sforza, Joaquin San Jenis, Bernardo De Torres and maybe Ned Keenan as well just to name a few. These names popped to mind first.

* HSCA Investigator’s Notes

* Any new information on LHOs travel to Europe in 1959.

* Any new DPD info or documentation.

* Anything Regarding James McCord, Jr.

* David Yaaras, his Jewish Mafia  connections especially in Los Angeles, Miami, and   Vegas. I have seen suggestions that he was the head of the Mob in Dallas, and the evidence of his whereabouts is often scant. Anything helps.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, Steve Thomas said:

Larry,

I know this may be a little simplistic, but what about Frank Brandstetter?

Cryptonym: AMSPICE-1

Definition:

Geraldine Shamma de Carrera aka Geraldine Shamman de Carrera, close colleague of Manuel Artime in 1960.

https://www.maryferrell.org/php/cryptdb.php?id=AMSPICE-1

H. P. Albarelli, Jr., A Secret Order (2013)

This book states that Shamma frequently met in Havana with David Morales and Army Intelligence officer Frank Brandstetter. June Cobb frequently met with them as well.

A Secret Order: Investigating the High Strangeness and Synchronicity in the ...

By H. Albarelli, Jr.

https://books.google.com/books?id=SfoBBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT221&lpg=PT221&dq=Brandstetter+Cuba&source=bl&ots=tI-Y8QgEPy&sig=gUCFwGQAiI40N5JY4bp2LrsK-G4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG9eTK1YDcAhUh9IMKHdn1CEEQ6AEIODAD#v=onepage&q=Brandstetter Cuba&f=false

image.png.5c50e7b379377378e0992afd690060cb.png

Steve Thomas

Steve, this is off topic from what you and Larry were discussing but caught my interest.  "longtime friends, as was Brandstetter with U.S. Army Intelligence officer Colonel George Lumpkin...(Deputy Police Chief).  Brandstetter was also very close to David Altee Philips..."

I know Lumpkin was near the top of the 488th military intelligence reserves in Dallas in 1963.  Was he in Army Intelligence while in the Army?  I looked a little, in his obituary his daughter mentions him getting the Bronze Star for capturing 39 prisoners (Korea?) but nothing else.  It says he was born in "Texas".  Lead motorcycle cop Bill Lumpkin was born in Avery, Texas, were they related?  After driving the lead car with Whitmeyer (his unauthorized "guest') in it he rushed back from Parkland to be the first officer there to (finally) seal off the TSBD, which "trapped" military intelligence officer James Powell (looking for a phone?).  Both were there when "the" rifle was found.  Lumpkin was also the DPD officer consulted by the Secret Service who told them the Industrial Blvd. route from Dealy Plaza was full of wino's and broken pavement and would have small crowds while JFK was seeking exposure.

I guess my thought is, if Brandstetter was "close" to Phillips, and a longtime friend of Lumpkin, might Phillips of the CIA had an "in" to the DPD through Brandstetter/Lumpkin?  I've thought Somebody did for a longtime.  I guess Lumpkin knew Westbrook, Hill, Bentley, Batchelor and many more.  I wonder if he knew Ruby?    

Here is our wishlist, so far...

On 7/1/2018 at 8:31 PM, Larry Hancock said:

Michael,  here would be my thought on what to look for...given documents we have had and what Newman introduced at the Lancer conference last fall.

1) Anything that shows us who or even what section of the CIA station in Havana that Veciana contacted about assassinating Castro in 1960. That would answer one huge question. 

2) The same for who at CIA he contacted in 1962. David's document confirms that those contacts were made so we know we are hunting for something real and that does confirm that Veciana was approaching the CIA - and being rejected.  So any contact document on his approaches and subsequent rejection are key.

3) Anything that shows an effort by CIA to monitor Alpha 66, including sources (whether they be Army sources or CIA sources).  We know that the administration was upset and embarrassed by the ongoing raids,  we know that Alpha was actually more successful on its missions than JM/WAVE.  The question is how much did CIA HQ know about the missions as compared to JM/WAVE and was somebody playing games.  In SWHT I present info that JM/WAVE had advance knowledge of the missions,  we should see if they provided that to HQ in their reports or somebody was sandbagging HQ and/or the SGA with a local agenda. 

In reference to that, look for any reports going to J.C. King.  We know that JM/WAVE and King approved the TILT mission without informing the SGA and RFK.  Up to now that has been an exception, question is was it also happening with Alpha 66.

21 hours ago, B. A. Copeland said:

Student here. I’d like to see more or newly revealed info on the following and in no order:

* FBI Reports on Mexico City, 1963

* Any info on Bill Harvey, Felipe Vidal Santiago, David Morales, Tony Sforza, Joaquin San Jenis, Bernardo De Torres and maybe Ned Keenan as well just to name a few. These names popped to mind first.

* HSCA Investigator’s Notes

* Any new information on LHOs travel to Europe in 1959.

* Any new DPD info or documentation.

56 minutes ago, Michael Clark said:

* Anything Regarding James McCord, Jr.

* David Yaaras, his Jewish Mafia  connections especially in Los Angeles, Miami, and   Vegas. I have seen suggestions that he was the head of the Mob in Dallas, and the evidence of his whereabouts is often scant. Anything helps.

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Steve, this is off topic from what you and Larry were discussing but caught my interest.  "longtime friends, as was Brandstetter with U.S. Army Intelligence officer Colonel George Lumpkin...(Deputy Police Chief).  Brandstetter was also very close to David Altee Philips..."

I know Lumpkin was near the top of the 488th military intelligence reserves in Dallas in 1963.  Was he in Army Intelligence while in the Army?  I looked a little, in his obituary his daughter mentions him getting the Bronze Star for capturing 39 prisoners (Korea?) but nothing else.  It says he was born in "Texas".  Lead motorcycle cop Bill Lumpkin was born in Avery, Texas, were they related?  After driving the lead car with Whitmeyer (his unauthorized "guest') in it he rushed back from Parkland to be the first officer there to (finally) seal off the TSBD, which "trapped" military intelligence officer James Powell (looking for a phone?).  Both were there when "the" rifle was found.  Lumpkin was also the DPD officer consulted by the Secret Service who told them the Industrial Blvd. route from Dealy Plaza was full of wino's and broken pavement and would have small crowds while JFK was seeking exposure.

I guess my thought is, if Brandstetter was "close" to Phillips, and a longtime friend of Lumpkin, might Phillips of the CIA had an "in" to the DPD through Brandstetter/Lumpkin?  I've thought Somebody did for a longtime.  I guess Lumpkin knew Westbrook, Hill, Bentley, Batchelor and many more.  I wonder if he knew Ruby?    

So if anyone stumbles across anything about Lumpkin/Military Intelligence/the DPD(even CIA?) might that be worthy of being brought to the attention of interested readers, as well as researchers?

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I know Lumpkin was near the top of the 488th military intelligence reserves in Dallas in 1963.  Was he in Army Intelligence while in the Army? 

Ron,

Rather than detract from this thread, I started one on George Lumpkin. Do you want to copy your post over there?

Steve Thomas

11 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Ron,

Rather than detract from this thread, I started one on George Lumpkin. Do you want to copy your post over there?

Steve Thomas

Steve, if I may display my technical ineptness again, I don't know how to quote or copy just what I  posted without linking the whole thread in the new one.

CHOADE

Please be on the lookout for any references to CHOADEN

***edit CHOADEN  in this doc...

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=45147&relPageId=2

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=15579&search=104-10128-10329#relPageId=2&tab=page

Edited by Michael Clark