The Education Forum

George Lumpkin

I don’t know if this has been discussed, but the link below is to a 1966 Richardson (Texas) Daily News article that describes George Lumpkin as “Commandant of the 415th AKSU Dallas United States Army Reserve School”. One has to subscribe to something to read the whole article - I’ll pass.

https://newspaperarchive.com/tags/george-lumpkin/?pc=24581&psi=94&pci=7&pt=23960&ob=1/

5 hours ago, Tom Hume said:

I don’t know if this has been discussed, but the link below is to a 1966 Richardson (Texas) Daily News article that describes George Lumpkin as “Commandant of the 415th AKSU Dallas United States Army Reserve School”. One has to subscribe to something to read the whole article - I’ll pass.

https://newspaperarchive.com/tags/george-lumpkin/?pc=24581&psi=94&pci=7&pt=23960&ob=1/

Tom,

Thanks. I think the newspaper's OCR software interpreted the acronym wrong. I believe it should be the 4150th ARSU.  I'm pretty sure ARSU stands for U.S. Army's Southern Command

Mark Valenti sent me the following pdf:

image.thumb.png.159676053f5d11bb5e037969488a0600.png

I was very interested to learn that he taught.

With respect to George Whitmeyer, who rode in the pilot car with Lumpkin, Winston Lawson told the HSCA that Whitmeyer "taught army intelligence."

There were two reserve training centers in Dallas.

Muchert Reserve Center
10031 E. Northwest Highway,

Herzog Reserve Center
at 4900 S. Lancaster.

"Mr. Lawson acknowledged that Lt. Col. George Whitmeyer, who was part of the Dallas District U.S. Army Command, who Lawson said "taught Army Intelligence"
1/31/78 HSCA interview of Secret Service agent Winston Lawson (RIF#18010074-10396)

Is this possibly where Whitmeyer and perhaps Lumpkin worked?
Jules E. Muchert Army Reserve Center
10031 E. Northwest Highway
This Property was a part of the original boundaries of White Rock Lake Park. The City of Dallas sold the Property to the Federal Government in 1956 for an Army Reserve Training Center Site.
http://www3.dallascityhall.com/committee_briefings/briefings0607/QOL_061107_muchert.pdf

Mary Ferrell Database
1963-1964 City Directories list him (George Whitmeyer) as Area Commander USA Reserve Training Center.

That pdf has some nice pictures in it.

Steve Thomas

Lumpkin The_Times_Sun__Jul_15__1962_-1.pdf

George Lumpkin provided the transcripts of the DPD dispatch tapes to SA Roger Warner, which were then flown to Washington and became the Secret Service copy.

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/J%20Disk/Justice%20Department%20of/Justice%20Department%20of%20JFK-King%20Reinvestigation/Item%2005.pdf

Steve Thomas

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:05 AM, Steve Thomas said:

In his civilian life, George Lumpkin was deputy chief of police in the City of Dallas...”

That's an interesting description.  It implies he did have another life from his job as deputy police chief in the city of Dallas, while he held it, when JFK was killed.  From what has been posted here it seems most likely his other life involved Army Intelligence.  AI interacting with the CIA?  What would Fletcher Prouty think?

• 2 months later...
On 7/5/2018 at 3:10 PM, Steve Thomas said:

Here;s a listing of the 1959  Dallas personnel graduates. Look who else was in that graduating class with Lumpkin:

https://archive.org/stream/nsia-wackenhut/Wackenhut%20Corp.-HQ-1_djvu.txt

Dallas - Royal Hobart Kelley, Deputy Sheriff, Dallas County SO 

Royal Hobart Kelley:

Blog post by a David Lively June 25, 2010

http://windycity-texpatriate.blogspot.com/2010/06/

Cowboys and Bandits in the Family Tree

"Anna May Pfaefflin married Royal Hobart Kelley. Kelley, as Nanny always called him, was just about the strongest yet gentlest human being I have ever known. To understand Papaw Kelley, one must first understand his background. Papaw was the great nephew of Otho Offutt, a member of the notorious Confederate rangers known as Quantrill’s Raiders. William Clarke Quantrill and his Quantrill’s Raiders, whose ranks included Frank and Jesse James as well as Cole and Jim Younger, were infamous for robbing and killing northerners. Their most notorious operation was the Lawrence Massacre—in Lawrence, Kansas, in August 1863—when Quantrill and his gang looted the banks and stores, burned nearly all the town’s building, and killed approximately 200 men and boys. I think Papaw explained it best in one of the many stories he told over and over: “They burned the houses, spared the women and furniture, and killed all the men.” Following the raid Quantrill led his men to Texas, behind Confederate lines. (The James and Younger gangs kept on looting and killing long after the Civil War using tactics learned while riding with Quantrill.) Needless to say, Papaw Kelley’s great uncle Otho was a tough son of a bitch.

Papaw’s father Otho Kelley wasn’t much nicer. As a young man, the younger Otho—who was named after his tough as nails uncle, Otho Offutt—worked as a cowboy at the famed XIT Ranch, which at one time comprised more than 3 million acres across the Texas panhandle. The XIT was the biggest private ranch in the world. After breaking both of his legs in a hay bale crane accident, where he fell more than 30 feet to the ground, he quit cowboying and became a tent preacher. From my 21stcentury perspective, this was a dubious profession for such a mean son of a bitch but times were different and Texas at the turn of the 20thcentury was still the edge of the frontier—and fire-and-brimstone preachers had to be a tough bunch to save any souls. Eventually, Otho Kelley settled in a rough section of Wichita Falls where he ran a rundown general store. Mostly, however, he was just a mean SOB who liked to drink whiskey and beat his son.

As a young teen of thirteen of fourteen—at the heart of the Great Depression—Royal Kelley had endured enough violence from his abusive father and, following his mother’s untimely death, decided to leave Wichita Falls for something better. As a teenaged hobo he hid underneath train cars and road the railroads alone all the way to California, where he stayed with distant cousins whose dispositions were kinder than his father’s.

Ultimately, this skinny kid from Wichita Falls with Gary Cooper-looks joined the Marines followed by the FBI Academy, and he eventually served as a policeman and a highway patrolman across Texas in Uvalde (where he lived next door to then Vice President John Nance Garner, who served under FDR), Austin, Amarillo and Abilene. For the last 27 years of his career he served as chief of security for LTV. In retirement he played golf nearly every day, it not twice a day. (Once he told me he played from sunrise to sunset, and he never used a golf cart.)

As a kid, Papaw Kelley was always my favorite grandparent. I know kids aren’t supposed to choose a favorite, but Papaw was like a huge teddy bear who would pick me up and give me a hug and a kiss every time I saw him. The countless stories he told about his life—such as growing up beside a Hooverville (i.e. a depression-era shantytown) during the Great Depression, running away from home in his teens and traveling on freight trains to California, lying about his age and joining the Marines at 17, attending the FBI Academy under J. Edgar Hoover, winning awards as an expert marksman, and riding motorcycles as a Texas State Highway Patrolman—were the stuff of legend, and they excited me to no end. These were adventures about which a young grandson dreams.

Now, as an adult, his stories and experiences have taken on new meaning for me—a poignancy that I did not fully appreciate as a child. Despite losing his mother as a young boy, enduring an abusive father, and having few role models in the callous depression-era Wichita Falls in which he matured, Papaw was among the kindest, gentlest and most caring individuals I’ve ever known. Indeed, it was his kind, gentle spirit in the face of hardship and cruelty that made me appreciate him so much more—and which still makes me appreciate what is important in my own life today.

Papaw Kelley was without a doubt the strongest man I’ve ever known. His intensity and strength were palpable to all who knew him. In his 70s and 80s, Papaw played 18 holes of golf almost every day, without a cart, and could still hit the ball farther than most 30-year-olds. Even in his last years, with cancer eating away at his body, Papaw would walk laps around Presbyterian Village, where he lived in South Oak Cliff, to maintain his endurance and strength. Simply put, he was a survivor.

It was these dual qualities—kindness and strength—that made Papaw Kelley unique. This duality formed the core of his amazing character, for which he was known and loved by family and friends. And I am thankful to him for passing along even just a small part of himself to me."

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas