The Education Forum

A Question for the JFK Experts Here

I'm a newcomer here at the Education Forum, but I have studied a lot of books about JFK's assassination in recent years, including the writings of Col. Fletcher Prouty, John Newman, James DiEugenio, James Douglass, Phillip Nelson, and others.

Here's my question.  It seems quite obvious that the perpetrators of the JFK assassination conducted systematic surveillance and skillful assassinations of key witnesses for many years, even decades.  In a few of these cases-- e.g., Mary Pinchot Meyer, Dorothy Kilgallen, and Sam Giancana-- suspected assassins have been named.  (One was the alleged U.S. Navy-affiliated witness on the tow path in the Mary Meyer murder case.) 

But, has there been much written (and uncovered) about the nature of such a gruesome, multi-decade, domestic assassinations op in the U.S.?   It is difficult to imagine anything less than a carefully managed, highly skilled organization like the CIA overseeing these systematic assassinations of American citizens who knew too much.  And the targets were carefully selected for "termination," usually at times when they were, apparently, on the verge of talking-- e.g., David Ferie, Mary Meyer, Kilgallen, William Sullivan, Pritzker, Giancana, De Mohrenschildt, etc.-- as if their phones and mail were under surveillance.

The starkest and darkest JFKA related murder, in my book, is shooting of reporter Bill Hunter by an LACA cop, in a police station on the very night that George Senator gave his first of two days of testimony to the Warren Commission; in March of 1964.  Bill Hunter was one of three men given access to the apartment that Senator shared with Jack Ruby, Another,Jim Koethe was killed later that year by a karate chop to the neck while getting out of the shower in his home. A third died of a heart attack a couple years later.

These don’t have to be super clandestine operations. Money, blackmail, corruption and coercion can send the ball rolling downhill to operatives, judges and coroners who sign off off on bogus explanations while families shut their mouths out of fear.

Edited by Michael Clark

38 minutes ago, Michael Clark said:

The starkest and darkest KFKA related murder, in my book, is shooting of reporter Bill Hunter by an LACA cop, in a police station on the very night that George Senator gave his first of two days of testimony to the Warren Commission; in March of 1964.  Bill Hunter was one of three men given access to the apartment that Senator shared with Jack Ruby, Another was Jim Koethe was killed later that year by a karate chop to the neck while getting out of the shower in his home A third died of a heart attack a couple years later.

These don’t have to be super clandestine operations. Money, blackmail, corruption and coercion can send the ball rolling downhill to operatives, judges and coroners who sign off off on bogus explanations while families shut that’d mouths out of fear.

Thank you, sir.

Two questions.

What is the name of your book?

Any clues about who Bill Hunter's killer was working for?  As I recall reading  (possibly in Richard Belzer's pop history book, Hit List) the LA shooting of Hunter was ruled "accidental."

I understand your point about various contractors/hit men being deployed for these witness assassinations, but it seems obvious that someone (or many) must have been "riding herd" on such a massive, decades-long, cover-up operation-- someone who knew precisely what was going on, (as in Hunter's case) and who was going to spill the beans.

12 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Thank you, sir.

Two questions.

Any clues about who Bill Hunter's killer was working for?  As I recall reading  (possibly in Richard Belzer's pop history book, Hit List) the LA shooting of Hunter was ruled "accidental."

I understand your point about various contractors/hit men being deployed for these witness assassinations, but it seems obvious that someone (or many) must have been "riding herd" on such a massive, decades-long, cover-up operation-- someone who knew precisely what was going on, (as in Hunter's case) and who was going to spill the beans.

Well, I am aware that you addressed the experts. I am no expert and have written nothing of note. I hope that you will excuse the intrusion.

As I believe that the Mafia were involved in the JFKA, at some level, I assume that that they were doing their part in the cover-up that includes the murders of people who knew to much. Indeed, I think that that would have included those who may have even possibly knew something. That visit to the Ruby-Senator apartment probably signed Hunters death certificate. Once Senator was through with that first day of testimony his story was largely set, and there could be no contradictions. Senator made only a small change to his testimony the next day; stating that he stopped into a bar, briefly on Saturday afternoon. His prior testimony is that he could not recall anything from the time he woke up until 7ish on Saturday evening. I have a hunch about what he was actually doing that day, and Hunter may have been told some of that; but after he got through his first day of testimony it was clear that the WC was not going to cause any problems but Hunter was a remaining problem. So he was shot. It happened almost as quickly as Ruby was compelled to kill LHO. It had to happen and it had to happen quickly. 

I have no clue who was directing things but there had to have been someone in the room where Senator was testifying or privy to what was said; at least in the case of Bill Hunter. 

From what I have gathered, It seems more likely that Senator said something that could not come out again. It is possible, but less likely, I think, that Hunter saw something in that apartment, such as Ruby’ address book.

Nothing has creeped-me out more than reading about the Carousel crew and the Ruby entourage that extended into the Dallas Police and Dallas “elite”. 

When you think about the ruthlessness of organized crime, and I extend that to corrupt government, it becomes a simple matter of who has to go. Hunter was a simple potential liability and probably had no intersection with the corrupt and criminal entities that had their eyes open for potential leaks, so he was not part of any game that he could take his chances at playing. The LACA mob took care of that problem in that town. The police and prosecutors did their part. The cops got off nearly Scott-free. The mob had to have had their hooks into the police and city officials to make it happen.

Thats my CT...

Edited by Michael Clark

3 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Thank you, sir.

Two questions.

W. Niederhut,

The phrase, "In my book" is American slang.

It means, "In my opinion", or, "This is what I think".

Steve Thomas

David you are fast! My goodness. I thought I knew a lot of this stuff and then in one zip post, you enable one to see a whole big picture. A good way to "scan" a lot of the history of this. Michael Clarke writing of the killing of Bill Hunter gave me a chill. How the hell can a cop shooting someone in the station be an accident? Especially if that someone had just spent valuable time with Jack Ruby's circle.

Edited by Robert Harper

Hunter's death was no accident.  The cop was caught in a lie regarding dropping his gun.  This was proven.  He then changed his story to "horseplay", saying he and the other officer were playing "quickdraw".  The other officer said he was looking away at the time.  Shot through the heart, died instantly.  By a cop, playing around with his loaded gun, who first lied about it and said he dropped the gun and it discharged, in the police station.  As for Koethe, it's hard to call a karate chop to the throat an accident.

This book is also of interest regarding the subject.

https://www.amazon.com/Reclaiming-Science-Conspiracy-mathematical-disinformation/dp/1502715996/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1531067457&sr=1-6&keywords=richard+charnin&dpID=518rsxWyDgL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

10 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

W. Niederhut,

The phrase, "In my book" is American slang.

It means, "In my opinion", or, "This is what I think".

Steve Thomas

Yes, I realized last night that Michael was using "in my book" as a figure of speech.  There are a number of authors on this forum, and I initially thought he was referring to a book that he had written about Hunter's murder.

(The only thing I could find at Amazon, before reading his post above, was a crime novel written by a gentleman named Michael Clark.)

4 hours ago, David Josephs said:

Thanks for the references.

I did read Hit List, Destiny Betrayed, (and Mary's Mosaic.)

Peter Janney points directly to the CIA (including Angleton and Ben Bradlee) having foreknowledge of Mary Pinchot Meyer's murder in 1964.

But, do we know any inside details about a domestic assassination op/ "program" behind these carefully conducted serial murders of JFK witnesses from 1963 through the 70s?  For example, was it Angleton or Helms tapping phones and calling Hoover, Mafia hit men, etc., as needed?

17 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Thanks for the references.

I did read Hit List, Destiny Betrayed, (and Mary's Mosaic.)

Peter Janney points directly to the CIA (including Angleton and Ben Bradlee) having foreknowledge of Mary Pinchot Meyer's murder in 1964.

But, do we know any inside details about a domestic assassination op/ "program" behind these carefully conducted serial murders of JFK witnesses from 1963 through the 70s?  For example, was it Angleton or Helms tapping phones and calling Hoover, Mafia hit men, etc., as needed?

I would not assume that it was CIA, even if arrows point at Angleton, or Mafia because they were in the hitman business. I think it’s an extra legal entity of some kind with diverse members and international connections. 

21 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

I would not assume that it was CIA, even if arrows point at Angleton, or Mafia because they were in the hitman business. I think it’s an extra legal entity of some kind with diverse members and international connections. 

Yes and no. I mean: yes, but the CIA was part of this entity