The Education Forum

Question About Roger Stone

Is Roger Stone's book, LBJ-- The Man Who Killed Kennedy, worth reading?

I read Nixon's Secrets, and thought it was poorly written, and horribly edited-- with a lot of redundancy and very little new information -- but I noticed that Stone's LBJ book has received positive reviews on Amazon. (Couldn't find a review at Kennedys and King.)

I also read both of Phillip Nelson's books about LBJ and the JFK assassination, and don't know if Roger Stone has presented much new information.

Any opinions?

Edited by W. Niederhut

I haven’t read it, but, if a guy has a tattoo of Nixon tattoo on his back he is not going to be regarded, by me, as a wellspring of truth. 

There might be limited hangouts Therin but do you want to invest your time in sorting out the lies? The biggest lie probably resides in the title; that would make the most sense to me. 

Cast it into the same bin as Howard Hunt’s “confession”, IMO.

Michael,

Nixon's Secrets was so bad that I gave the book away as a gag white elephant gift at a Christmas Party last year.

There were two anecdotes in that book that I found intriguing, though.

1)  Stone claimed that Nixon and LBJ had a three hour private meeting in Dallas on the afternoon of November 21, 1963.

2)  Stone asked Nixon, shortly before his death, whether he and LBJ had been involved in any way in JFK's murder.

Nixon, who was sloshed, paused for awhile then, allegedly, said,  "Well, let's just say that Lyndon and I both wanted very much to be President."

19 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Michael,

Nixon's Secrets was so bad that I gave the book away as a gag white elephant gift at a Christmas Party last year.

There were two anecdotes in that book that I found intriguing, though.

1)  Stone claimed that Nixon and LBJ had a three hour private meeting in Dallas on the afternoon of November 21, 1963.

2)  Stone asked Nixon, shortly before his death, whether he and LBJ had been involved in any way in JFK's murder.

Nixon, who was sloshed, paused for awhile then, allegedly, said,  "Well, let's just say that Lyndon and I both wanted very much to be President."

… "but I wasn't willing to..."  from memory, there's more to the quote.  But I don't trust much of anything Nixon or Stone ever said in the first place,

Or Philip Nelson for that matter.

To this day its mind boggling to me that Fetzer called Nelson's book on Johnson the equivalent of Douglass' JFK and the Unspeakable for LBJ.

Edited by James DiEugenio

3 hours ago, Bart Kamp said:

So, as I recall, Roger Stone said recently that his 2016 Email about dining "last night" with Julian Assange was only "a joke."

Is it finally the CREEPy old dirty trickster's time to be in the barrel?

9 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

So, as I recall, Roger Stone said recently that his 2016 Email about dining "last night" with Julian Assange was only "a joke."

Oh PLEASE!

9 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

10 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Hopefully.  Nixon on your back is creepy alone.  Stone should not be trusted by anyone as any kind of source.  

The worst thing Stone ever did is coordinate the Brooks Brothers Riot in Dade County.

Edited by James DiEugenio

10 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

The worst thing Stone ever did is coordinate the Brooks Brothers Riot in Dade County.

Agreed.  That truly dark chapter in American history -- the GOP Florida vote hack of 2000 -- has never received sufficient coverage in the mainstream U.S. media, nor has Kissinger's comment in December of 2000, after the infamous 5-4 Bush v. Gore ruling,  "Nothing would increase George W. Bush's low approval rating more than a terrorist attack against the United States."