The Education Forum

Carter: the POTUS nearest to JFK?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carter was asked a question about the CIA, and when

Carter said the word CIA, the microphone went dead,

and there was an embarrassing ten minutes of silence...

just video of the candidates behind the lecterns shuffling

their feet and looking silly?

This was widely interpreted as the CIA showing Carter

they were not to be messed with.

I googled the event, but could find nothing.

Jack

Interesting. During Trump's televised comments to the media yesterday he was in the middle of mentioning something about his intelligence agencies when all the lights went out in the room. They came back on after several seconds. Trump was rattled enough though that he made a slightly nervous joke and asked if everyone was all right or okay?

Paz--great find about the Biden vote.

Though no JFK, I agree that he was the closest to what JFK represented.

When he published the needed and informative book  Palestine: Peace or Apartheid, after he left office, he had the usual outcry from the chosen offended ones who resigned from the Board of the Carter Foundation because he dared to understand the Middle East at a level that was disturbing to those who wished to ignore facts.

The ever-ubiquitous-bottom-feeder Dershowitz attacked him as "deserving a place in hell" because he negotiated a peace treaty - -- with Begin, a  former terrorist, who was unable to step into the UK because he was a wanted man there. Carter got ganged-up by Rockefeller, Kissinger and that crowd to let their buddy the Shah come to America for treatment. This from the country that the US helped overthrow 30 years before that when they placed this "royalty" on the "throne." When the Iranians took over the American Embassy, every single night was described as the  45th or 81st day of "captivity" nudging Carter into a helicopter rescue that might have been planned to fail for all we know. In addition, there was the treasonous back entry by Casey, Bush and others to deal with the Iranians and have an Inauguration Day release of the captives. Carter had the CIA, the corporate media and the economy against him; inflation was high and, for all we know, could have been planned to do so. 

Also, of course, Carter freely referred to the Gospels as providing a social understanding; we know what happened to the Baptist Minister that preached a similar message when he traveled to Memphis to help the garbage collectors, so maybe the one term option saved his life, as Joe Bauer suggested. There were two Catholic brothers who also got eliminated; they like the Minister were too powerful, too capable of gathering souls to reason and peace and a "new" way of seeing the world  As General Smedley Butler so knowingly said, "War is a Racket" and since one needs armaments and conflict, the power structure simply  makes one and causes the other. When faced with Ted Sorensen as a possible CIA Head -- a conscientious objector who abhorred violence and was befriended and admired by JFK, a War hero who wanted to end wars, look what the power structure did to that idea. Reminds me of a letter from Thomas Merton referring to his superiors at the monastery--"they keep wanting me to stop writing about peace."

1 hour ago, Robert Harper said:
Paz--great find about the Biden vote.

Though no JFK, I agree that he was the closest to what JFK represented.

When he published the needed and informative book  Palestine: Peace or Apartheid, after he left office, he had the usual outcry from the chosen offended ones who resigned from the Board of the Carter Foundation because he dared to understand the Middle East at a level that was disturbing to those who wished to ignore facts.

The ever-ubiquitous-bottom-feeder Dershowitz attacked him as "deserving a place in hell" because he negotiated a peace treaty - -- with Begin, a  former terrorist, who was unable to step into the UK because he was a wanted man there. Carter got ganged-up by Rockefeller, Kissinger and that crowd to let their buddy the Shah come to America for treatment. This from the country that the US helped overthrow 30 years before that when they placed this "royalty" on the "throne." When the Iranians took over the American Embassy, every single night was described as the  45th or 81st day of "captivity" nudging Carter into a helicopter rescue that might have been planned to fail for all we know. In addition, there was the treasonous back entry by Casey, Bush and others to deal with the Iranians and have an Inauguration Day release of the captives. Carter had the CIA, the corporate media and the economy against him; inflation was high and, for all we know, could have been planned to do so. 

Also, of course, Carter freely referred to the Gospels as providing a social understanding; we know what happened to the Baptist Minister that preached a similar message when he traveled to Memphis to help the garbage collectors, so maybe the one term option saved his life, as Joe Bauer suggested. There were two Catholic brothers who also got eliminated; they like the Minister were too powerful, too capable of gathering souls to reason and peace and a "new" way of seeing the world  As General Smedley Butler so knowingly said, "War is a Racket" and since one needs armaments and conflict, the power structure simply  makes one and causes the other. When faced with Ted Sorensen as a possible CIA Head -- a conscientious objector who abhorred violence and was befriended and admired by JFK, a War hero who wanted to end wars, look what the power structure did to that idea. Reminds me of a letter from Thomas Merton referring to his superiors at the monastery--"they keep wanting me to stop writing about peace."

Bravo!

I am reading a new book, PRESIDENT CARTER: THE White House YEARS, by his aide Stuart Eizenstat. It is filled

with fresh insider info and interview material. So far I am not sure where he's going with all

the issues, but it's worth reading

Hate to tell ya but the guy who screwed Jimmy Carter over the most was Teddy Kennedy.

Carter would have passed a national health care plan but Kennedy put the kibosh on it in the Senate.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

So Ted Kennedy knew he too could get such a bill passed as president if elected with a democratic majority.  But he was running against Carter at the time and knew passage of such a bill would aide Carter's re-election and opposed it...

On 7/18/2018 at 11:03 AM, Lawrence Schnapf said:

There was also an alleged attempted assassination of Carter shortly after he said the problems in the US go back to the JFK assassination and planned on making a big speech that was believed to have involved sweeping changes in US government. The speech was cancelled. One of the suspects was named "Raymond Lee Harvey" and the other "Oswaldo Espinoza Ortiz". See May 12, 1979 NYT or other papers for details (tried to upload but got message file was too large) .  

The LA DA who declined to charge Lee Harvey and Osvaldo with anything was a good friend of the Bush family.

1 hour ago, Paz Marverde said:

Really interested, Ron. Do you please remember his name?

Paz, I'm afraid I've forgotten it. (Nothing unusual anymore.) I researched this several years ago, and exchanged emails with the guy, but have lost the files. He basically said there wasn't enough evidence for charges, he didn't know where they might be now, and that it was a really weird case. On his Bush connection (which he didn't mention), I think he may have even been a best man at a Bush wedding, or maybe he just attended one, I don't trust my memory on the details. After all, I also remember watching the Dallas casket arrive at Bethesda on live TV, which never happened.

Edited by Ron Ecker

10 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

Paz, I'm afraid I've forgotten it. (Nothing unusual anymore.) I researched this several years ago, and exchanged emails with the guy, but have lost the files. He basically said there wasn't enough evidence for charges, he didn't know where they might be now, and that it was a really weird case. On his Bush connection (which he didn't mention), I think he may have even been a best man at a Bush wedding, or maybe he just attended one, I don't trust my memory on the details. After all, I also remember watching the Dallas casket arrive at Bethesda on live TV, which never happened.

Ron, your presence is one of the most appreciated by me. Thank you very much for sharing