The Education Forum

Umbrella Man pic?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Micah Mileto said:

This whole website is full of JFK images I am not sure the origin of. Like this image:

https://the-eye.eu/public/concen.org/JFK John F Kennedy Assassination Research Archive (2016)/pics/JFK pics/020 JFK.jpg

The first one and this last one are not from 11/22/63.  Too many things are wrong compared to other pictures, though I'm certainly no photo expert.

Edited by Ron Bulman

Based upon James Richards research and things I've learned subsequently,  Umbrella Man was Roy Hargraves. His companion and good friend was Felipe Vidal Santiago. The reason for the umbrella was an F-you for the "umbrella" of air protection being removed from the BOP landing site.

http://www.historynet.com/cold-war-bay-of-pigs-invasion.htm

‘Colonel Frank,’ (Frank Egan?) the American commander in Guatemala, confided: ‘We’ll protect the invasion with an umbrella,’ he said. ‘The air will belong to us. No car can travel without being bombed. We don’t need more men.’

Disaster predicted became disaster realized. Although the invasion was on, JFK was keeping his word to the Alliance for Progress that the United States would not be openly involved in it. He reneged on the CIA promise that an ‘umbrella’ of U.S. fighters would protect the landing; the Navy would perform only picket duty off the Cuban coast; and there would be no follow-up strikes against Castro’s airfields.

Edited by David Boylan
added

15 hours ago, Micah Mileto said:

%20isley_umbrellaman.jpg

Havean't seen much discussion on his image. Where does this image place the 7 spokes/8 spokes umbrella debate?

Micah,

Where did this picture come from?  It doesn't look like 11/22/63, maybe a re-enactment?  DCM is east of UM and in the photos and films of 11/22/63, he is standing west of him, as shown in the pictures below.

Thanks

2 hours ago, David Boylan said:

Based upon James Richards research and things I've learned subsequently,  Umbrella Man was Roy Hargraves. His companion and good friend was Felipe Vidal Santiago. The reason for the umbrella was an F-you for the "umbrella" of air protection being removed from the BOP landing site.

‘Colonel Frank,’ the American commander in Guatemala, confided: ‘We’ll protect the invasion with an umbrella,’ he said. ‘The air will belong to us. No car can travel without being bombed. We don’t need more men.’

Disaster predicted became disaster realized. Although the invasion was on, JFK was keeping his word to the Alliance for Progress that the United States would not be openly involved in it. He reneged on the CIA promise that an ‘umbrella’ of U.S. fighters would protect the landing; the Navy would perform only picket duty off the Cuban coast; and there would be no follow-up strikes against Castro’s airfields.

David,

If it was truly a protest, why was he not elsewhere on the several miles of motorcade route?  Why was he standing right in the yellow-painted curb kill zone, pumping it up and down just as shots came into the limo, exactly at the same time DCM pumped his fist up and down ("form on me")?  Way too many "coincidences" for him to just randomly show up and protest at that place, at that time.  No doubt those who invested in the BOP were seething at JFK for lack of air protection - I think some of them participated in a "protest" with bullets and coordination, not  with an umbrella.

Thanks

This is the second F-you. 11/22/64. These are Rip Robertson's commandos in the Congo. Robertson is 4th from the left. Juan Tamayo far left. Rene Garcia holding the umbrella. Garcia was Deputy Chief Air Operations Bay of Pigs. He also flew a B-26 during the BOP and was considered one of the more reliable pilots. 3rd from left possibly Ricardo Morales. Morales stayed behind an extra week with Alberto Perez. The other guys came home early Dec 1964. Disclaimer: other than Rip, I don't believe these guys had anything to do with Dallas although they knew a few things from Robertson.

Edited by David Boylan

8 hours ago, David Boylan said:

‘Colonel Frank,’ the American commander in Guatemala, confided: ‘We’ll protect the invasion with an umbrella,’ he said. ‘The air will belong to us. No car can travel without being bombed. We don’t need more men.’

Very interesting.  Hargraves, Santiago and the reason for the umbrella all plausible.

5 hours ago, David Boylan said:

This is the second F-you. 11/22/64. These are Rip Robertson's commandos in the Congo. Robertson is 4th from the left. Juan Tamayo far left. Rene Garcia holding the umbrella. Garcia was Deputy Chief Air Operations Bay of Pigs. He also flew a B-26 during the BOP and was considered one of the more reliable pilots. 3rd from left possibly Ricardo Morales. Morales stayed behind an extra week with Alberto Perez. The other guys came home early Dec 1964. Disclaimer: other than Rip, I don't believe these guys had anything to do with Dallas although they knew a few things from Robertson.

RipCongo2.thumb.jpg.9dece18c929f84035605861542314d25.jpg

The implications of Robertson involved on the ground in the Congo a year after JFK was assassinated are incriminating.  Even without the umbrella, though it's important.  Good chance Hammarskjold, Lumumba and JFK (in part on him) were killed over uranium in particular, and other minerals.

On 10/4/2018 at 3:04 AM, Ron Bulman said:

This is the second F-you

It is the first time this whole umbrella thing made any sense; I never believed the guy showing up with the same umbrella at the HSCA 15 years later. It's spooky and evokes anger, but it's far more plausible, imho, than a guy protesting JFK's father's support of Anthony Eden.