The Education Forum

Umbrella Man pic?

11 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

Larry,

Thanks. That was pretty cool.

If I'm reading that right, a closed fist pumped up and down is the signal for "hurry up". Maybe someone with better photography skills than I have could put together a short gif focusing on the DCM's right hand.

Steve Thomas

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my read too Steve, I would be interested if someone could do that with a gif as I can't see it any better than you described even though I've looked at it many times. As I said earlier though, tactically though, either or both those guys could be [postioned there simply to gain the attention of the driver for a moment or to give a visual signal that no abort had been called for on Elm. Pure speculation but consistent with  the other points about the pick up, ambulance etc. 

Yes, it does look like a wave. An open hand one.

You'd think that some extended family or friends of the DC man ( some one somewhere ) would have been made aware of their relative's presence in this famous video after 50 years.

I am sure that at this man's age he must have been known or connected to someone.

His general build, posture and a hat type not that common and that he probably wore on a regular basis would make him instantly recognizable.

Edited by Joe Bauer

3 hours ago, Chris Davidson said:

Extant Zfilm.

DCM.gif

This is great work but I recall in a photo at one point he had his fist closed.  But the question is what was unser his jacket undet his right arm?  It bulges out when he sits down.  Could he have fired anything?  

On 10/22/2018 at 7:57 AM, Larry Hancock said:

Cory made me think a bit on this one, is there any film footage from further up the street that shows him with his arm in motion or raised....in reality any real signal would be made well before the limo is right beside him.  Just curious.

Larry,

In 2014, Richard Douglas posted a series of photos of the Dark Complected Man in the jfkassassinationforum

here:

http://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=da10693a75f6fceb0ce372badd010bff&topic=11687.0

But somebody hacked that forum, and those pictures aren't available anymore.

There is this site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Dark+Complected+Man%22&client=firefox-b-1-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZ46CbqZreAhUGo4MKHdNRC_IQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1358&bih=745#imgrc=4rVDEOFecmUznM:

which contains this photo:

The picture on the top left looks like his arm is not raised at all. (I think this is the photo that is often famously used to show the Black Dog Man in the background).

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

The Army Infantry hand signals (used in combat situations) are a good hint as to what might have been transpiring.  My guess - based on an assumption that there are multiple shooting teams, and simultaneity is part of the plan - is a timing technique.   How else does one explain two conspicuous individuals prominently located at the precise location/moment of impact?   How else would you accomplish  fatal head shots at the exact same time? 

Some believe that the fatal head shot originated from south of the Triple Underpass, most likely somewhere within the confines of the Terminal Annex building's parking lot (an excellent sniper location with favorable ingress/egress).  The DCM or signal man is facing towards those locations. An even more ideal sniper location would be the south end atop the overpass, which affords the best pan angle on the limousine as it proceeded down Elm, with the greatest elevation over the limo's obstructions. The brightness of the noonday sun above the South Knoll renders anyone looking in that direction (from the street or limousine) essentially blind to the whole area ... a classic sniper tactic (see Anthony DeFiore's extensive 308-page analysis establishing the throat shot from the South Knoll).  Bloodstain pattern analysis expert Sherry Gutierrez also focused on this shot origin.  Other good references include Millicent Cranor's April 2018 article in Kennedys and King; also, the EF thread started by Al Carrier in November 2004 entitled "South Knoll; Ballistics, Shot Trajectories".  Repeating what Carrier put forward:

Often, the most ideal location for shot origin, especially on a moving target, is a location that exposes the shooter the greatest.  Making the shot is only half the objective, the other is escaping either undetected or without being molested. The military found a practice to overcome this obstacle and it has been termed “Canyon Shoot”. This practice utilizes multiple snipers from locations suited to draw attention to those origins where they cannot be accessed, or by allowing the terrain to confuse the shot origin to the enemy present. In the case of Dealey Plaza, a shooter firing from the Texas School Book Depository would initially fire and the other shooters in the plaza would cue off the Depository shooter by startle reaction and fire a round immediately on top of the shot fired by the Depository shooter. Witnesses would detect the first sound and roughly identify a shot origin and this would cover the fire of the others shooters, deeper in the plaza. The echo effect of the Plaza would also aid in making the witnesses believe that it was shot reverberation that they were hearing deeper in the plaza. With another shooter firing from the North Knoll, this would direct witnesses along Elm and at the intersection of Elm and Houston to focus their attention on the area between the Depository and the Knoll. By utilizing startle reaction to cue simultaneous fire from three locations, three shots could easily sound like one.

A TSBD shooter would have initially been facing the President from the sixth floor when the presidential limousine rounded the corner ... yet he allegedly waited, and took the more difficult shot from behind (which on face makes no sense). That delay and longer shot range from the rear was obviously part of a triangulated ambush, with shooters on the Knolls (North and South) able to use the overpass railroad tracks for escape routes.  Such a positioning of the President's limousine for the kill shot would appear to be associated with Abraham Zapruder's camera POV, as well the expected echo distortion.  As Carrier points out, the reverberation amongst the three buildings at the intersection of Elm and Houston would have created greater confusion.  In summary, the triangulated and simultaneous military-style ambush seems to be somehow coordinated by these two suspicious individuals.

The image appears to be edited.  The hand does not seem to be natural.

DCM1.gif

The Zapruder film can't be trusted.  There are too many edited frames in it.  A good example is Z frame 157.  Or, you could look at all the frames, frame z1 to about z200,  showing 19 people in what I call Mannequin Row from the street light to the Stemmons sign on Elm St.  Other media do not show that group there.

Check out frames 159-160.  They show the Johnson security vehicle.  I call this vehicle the "Johnny Cash car" since it appears to be like Cash's song built one piece at a time.  It is really silly.  It is a vehicle that has a back end for a front end.  Two rear ends for the front and back.  

Edited by John Butler

1 hour ago, David Boylan said:

Gene,

Great post.

David.

Yup.

Gene demonstrates once again the importance of not missing the forest because you're focused on the trees.

Gene also wrote, " The Army Infantry hand signals (used in combat situations) are a good hint as to what might have been transpiring."

(Thanks again Larry for the tip).

Applying the tactics of triangulation of fire and especially enfilade give a good idea of what was going on. When your enemy approaches in a broad front, hit them in the center. When he approaches in column formation, hit them from the side.

Steve Thomas

The South Knoll gets into the controversies of the hole in the windshield, the throat wound, and Tosh Plumlee's story.  It also implies that the Zapruder filming is somehow a staged part of the entire scenario. A South Knoll shooter also explains how they avoid collateral damage with Nellie and Jackie (all part of the plan).  Of course, if they wanted to hit Connally, they could easily have done so.  Distraction and misdirection (the hand of the magician).  You'd think that an individual in the Terminal Annex parking lot (a perfect location) would have been seen, but he must have had the benefit of spotters and break-down support ... maybe that stalled truck seen in the Cancellare photo.  The other sniper consideration pointed out (as far as that shooting vantage) is that the shooter didn't have to re-aim.  He can fire off several shots.  Perhaps it was a silenced weapon ... but its only about 60 yards away, which is a sure shot for an experienced marksman.  Harry Holmes has his office in the Annex Building.  Then there's O'Hare and Robertson strolling across the lawn shortly thereafter (the "sweepers").  Richard Trask (citing Edgar F. Tatro, "Who's Afraid of the Grassy Knoll South?"), wrote:

"At least one assassination buff believes to have located just to the right of a tree near the (south knoll) parking lot what he sees and identifies as '. . . a distinct figure clearly resembling a man holding a rifle-like object.'"

18 hours ago, Gene Kelly said:

The Army Infantry hand signals (used in combat situations) are a good hint as to what might have been transpiring.  My guess - based on an assumption that there are multiple shooting teams, and simultaneity is part of the plan - is a timing technique.   How else does one explain two conspicuous individuals prominently located at the precise location/moment of impact?   How else would you accomplish  fatal head shots at the exact same time? 

Some believe that the fatal head shot originated from south of the Triple Underpass, most likely somewhere within the confines of the Terminal Annex building's parking lot (an excellent sniper location with favorable ingress/egress).  The DCM or signal man is facing towards those locations. An even more ideal sniper location would be the south end atop the overpass, which affords the best pan angle on the limousine as it proceeded down Elm, with the greatest elevation over the limo's obstructions. The brightness of the noonday sun above the South Knoll renders anyone looking in that direction (from the street or limousine) essentially blind to the whole area ... a classic sniper tactic (see Anthony DeFiore's extensive 308-page analysis establishing the throat shot from the South Knoll).  Bloodstain pattern analysis expert Sherry Gutierrez also focused on this shot origin.  Other good references include Millicent Cranor's April 2018 article in Kennedys and King; also, the EF thread started by Al Carrier in November 2004 entitled "South Knoll; Ballistics, Shot Trajectories".  Repeating what Carrier put forward:

Often, the most ideal location for shot origin, especially on a moving target, is a location that exposes the shooter the greatest.  Making the shot is only half the objective, the other is escaping either undetected or without being molested. The military found a practice to overcome this obstacle and it has been termed “Canyon Shoot”. This practice utilizes multiple snipers from locations suited to draw attention to those origins where they cannot be accessed, or by allowing the terrain to confuse the shot origin to the enemy present. In the case of Dealey Plaza, a shooter firing from the Texas School Book Depository would initially fire and the other shooters in the plaza would cue off the Depository shooter by startle reaction and fire a round immediately on top of the shot fired by the Depository shooter. Witnesses would detect the first sound and roughly identify a shot origin and this would cover the fire of the others shooters, deeper in the plaza. The echo effect of the Plaza would also aid in making the witnesses believe that it was shot reverberation that they were hearing deeper in the plaza. With another shooter firing from the North Knoll, this would direct witnesses along Elm and at the intersection of Elm and Houston to focus their attention on the area between the Depository and the Knoll. By utilizing startle reaction to cue simultaneous fire from three locations, three shots could easily sound like one.

A TSBD shooter would have initially been facing the President from the sixth floor when the presidential limousine rounded the corner ... yet he allegedly waited, and took the more difficult shot from behind (which on face makes no sense). That delay and longer shot range from the rear was obviously part of a triangulated ambush, with shooters on the Knolls (North and South) able to use the overpass railroad tracks for escape routes.  Such a positioning of the President's limousine for the kill shot would appear to be associated with Abraham Zapruder's camera POV, as well the expected echo distortion.  As Carrier points out, the reverberation amongst the three buildings at the intersection of Elm and Houston would have created greater confusion.  In summary, the triangulated and simultaneous military-style ambush seems to be somehow coordinated by these two suspicious individuals.

R.E. throat shot from south knoll, I don't discount the possibility, but regarding the blood spatter from a throat shot, there was none.  It was a small entry wound with no exit, per experienced E R Doctors Perry and McLellan attending that specific wound.  

Ms. Fiester convinced me in Enemy of the Truth a shot from the south knoll was a real possibility.  But I thought she was focused on a head shot, which I find doubtful from the back and to the left in Zapruder.  

Edited by Ron Bulman