The Education Forum

Interesting Tidbit on the Rifle

Josh Cron

I had never seen this mentioned before.

From the 11/24 Houston Post:

Dallas Police Chief Jesse Curry said Saturday night that photographs found in the home of Lee Harvey Oswald’s Russian-born wife link him with the rifle used Friday in the assassination of President Kennedy.

Curry said the pictures found in the home in suburban Irving, near Dallas, will be used as evidence in Oswald's murder trial…

Curry said the FBI has a letter, in Oswald’s handwriting, ordering the 6.5mm Italian carbine from a mail order house in Chicago for $12.78.

Oswald used an alias and a Dallas Post Office box number in the letter, Curry said.

The FBI headquarters in Washington confirmed Curry’s statement about the letter but would make no elaboration…

Curry said a minister in South Carolina called in a tip that led to the mail order rifle tie-in. Federal agents contacted the Chicago dealer, whose records showed that a gun matching the one found in the book depository building was ordered March 20 and asked to be mailed to a Dallas post office box, not under Oswald’s name, Curry said.

A Nov 1963 Field and Stream ad was submitted by Harry Holmes... Given the price is as stated and not $12.88 as shown in the actual ad used...

Holmes and Curry seemed to be feeding info out to the papers....  seems CURRY was a bit miffed about the FBI not telling him about Oswald as he told REVILL

I also found the same article on 11/24 in the NY TIMES... and in LINCOLN ...  

Seems it was an UPI story...   Wonder who gave them the positive info on the parrafin tests...  :huh:

Think it was all Curry and Fritz?

Airtight.jpg

Field%20and%20Stream%20ad%20for%2012.78%

Nat A. Pinkston Obituary

Pinkston, Nat A. Nat A. Pinkston, born in Dallas, Tx, Nov. 26, 1915, passed away September 4, 2011. He was preceded by his wife Matty, and survived by sons Scott and Bob and numerous grand and great grand children. Nat received his Bachelor of Laws from SMU in 1939 and a BA from North Texas Agricultural College (UT Arlington). He was a graduate of Oak Cliff (Adamson) High School. He worked as an attorney in Dallas for a period before joining the FBI. He was a Special Agent of the FBI 28 years, retiring in 1967, a member of the Masonic Lodge Scottish Rite Shrine, the Texas Police Association, the FBI National Academy Association, the Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI, and a member of the Happy Warriors, the world's only geriatric Air Force. He was listed in the International Association of Auto Theft Investigators since 1961. Nat appeared on the History Channel "Infamous Guns" program, interviewed about how he identified the Oswald rifle. He was a contributor to the School Book Depositary Museum of JFK assassination historical artifacts. His name-sake, Nat Pinkston, founded Pinkston, Texas, outside of Corsicana in the late 1800s. The site is currently a ghost town. A Memorial service will be held at 11AM at the Good Shepherd Episcopal Church in Cedar Hill, Saturday, 17th, 915 Old Straus Road @ FM 1382

He said in a 2007 interview:

Well, I had an informant who was a pawn broker and a licensed gun dealer... he said, "...they were sold in Dallas by Titche-Goettinger Company." 
So I went to them and they said, "We have no record...but if we didn't sell it, it almost had to come from Klein Sporting goods Store in Chicago...

They had closed for the day so one of the AGENTS there went pout, picked up the manager, ... and in 15 minutes they had a record that this ... particular rifle had been sold by KLEIN....""

In another thread just recently I showed how the FBI nor KLEIN could have known about that rifle before Sunday and their re-evaluation of the FELDSOTT evidence.  Up to that point, the records showed  that N2766 was shipped to KLEIN in JUNE 1962 as FELDSOTT had said, except the serial number was N instead of C.

In essence, N2766 was not in any of the contemporaneous records of the KLEIN/CRESCENT relationship.  

So they were created.  FBI SA DOLAN takes the microfilm and returns a copy to KLEIN, 2 weeks later.

=======================

Now, who the heck is this "minister in South Carolina called in a tip that led to the mail order rifle tie-in"  ???

FWIW - Wade and Alexander were TEXAN loyalists first, FBI second, IMHO...  they also helped to throw the FBI under the bus that night... for which Hoover had his men extract a recant...

I'm still trying to find the bit about the MINISTER...  all I have so far is:  this from the 23rd...

Do you have a link to the houston article?

HoustonPostNov231963-10-.jpg

23 hours ago, Josh Cron said:

I had never seen this mentioned before.

From the 11/24 Houston Post:

Curry said a minister in South Carolina called in a tip that led to the mail order rifle tie-in. Federal agents contacted the Chicago dealer, whose records showed that a gun matching the one found in the book depository building was ordered March 20 and asked to be mailed to a Dallas post office box, not under Oswald’s name, Curry said.

Josh,

One possible (and I say possible) name to look at is Harry R. McCall.

ALLEGED CONTACT BY LEE HARVEY OSWALD TO PURCHASE CAR AT DOWNTOWN LINCO

Oswald 201 File Vol 52 page 19

FBI interview of Harry Randolph McCall - automobile salesman at the downtown Lincoln-Mercury car dealership - along with Albert Bogard, and Jack Lawrence.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=110333&relPageId=19&search=%22South_Carolina%20minister%22

image.png.860135552f68402e6bb6493c702841d6.png

Steve Thomas

Between the half dozen or so people who claim to have "tracked down the rifle" this one appears even farther outside the box than Holmes...

Armstrong felt if Curry said it, then it has a high probably of being true... yet it may have been a way to hide the origins from where this info actually came...

Curry also only mentions this as "called in a tip" from the minister.... "that led to the mail order rifle tie-in"

This minister seems to have identified KLEIN SPORTING GOODS as the next line reads... "Fed agents contacted the Chicago dealer...."

I wonder why Curry specifically calls out South Carolina as well... I mean who cares where he's from....

396055963_FBIAgentPINKSTONclaimingyearslatertohavebeen1stontheTSBDsceneandspokewithDayabouttherifle.thumb.jpg.dee99fcfe02391a2de7a89c32bfc458d.jpg