The Education Forum

Beto's Bobby Vibe

With a toothy boyish grin and "the common touch" Beto O'Rourke is gonna be the Prez in 2021.

That's what my crystal ball sez.

If Robert Kennedy had lived to become a hardcore "positive politics" punk rocker in 1980 you'd have Beto O'Rourke and another half foot in height.

Beto on Colin Kaepernick in Texas fercrissakes!

Edited by Cliff Varnell

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he was born in 1972, four years after RFK died and named Robert Francis.  Catholic.  Beto's short for Roberto in Spanish.  It's a longshot but he is more inspiring in a loss by 2 + % than just about anybody in the Democratic party.  He did have some coat tails in Texas.

Tarrant County's (Fort Worth) been red on statewide offices for many many  years, home to multiple republican conventions.  Last year the democrats held there's there.  Some guy rented a hearse, put signs on it saying "RIP, Texas Democrats".  Beto carried it.

Nice to see repeated incumbent Congressman Pete Sessions Gone from the North Dallas district that includes the home of George W Bush.

12 more state congressional seats, 2 more state senators.

And Harris county, Houston, home of  George Herbert Walker Bush.  Every republican on the ballot, incumbents and challengers sent packing.

Who'd a thunk it?  An Irishman from El Paso.

I read today a Congressman has not advanced directly from there to the Whitehouse since the 1840's.  So it's not impossible.  It has happened before.

That's a classic shot of Trigger.

Edited by Ron Bulman

Beto's concession speech sounded like the kick-off of a bigger campaign.

He played bass in FOSS back in the 90's.  Not all their stuff was hardcore punk rock but this was...

Pretty funny...

Edited by Cliff Varnell

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly misleading headline:

https://deadline.com/2018/11/jim-carrey-would-love-to-see-kamala-harris-beto-orourke-win-the-presidential-race-1202504496/

"I would love to see Beto O’Rourke and Kamala Harris. I think she’s fantastic, and he’s a really incredible guy.”

Me too.  O'Rourke/Harris 2020. 

Neither take PAC money. 

We wouldn't have to protest a potentially hawkish Harris foreign policy for 8 years if lucky.

And flat out -- the two sharpest, charismatic Dem politicians in the land.

Beto O’Rourke blows up the 2020 Democratic primary

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/19/beto-orourke-2020-democratic-primary-995353

“I don’t’ believe that 50-year-old guys like me and 60-year-old guys in Washington who are in an hourly form of political warfare understand how disillusioned that warfare has made the younger people of this country,” [Texas Dem money man Mikal Watts] said. “From that perspective, Beto’s unvarnished approach was both refreshing to me, but intoxicating to the younger generation.”

“If Bernie runs and Warren runs and Kamala runs and [Cory] Booker runs, I think they all wash each other out in a certain way," Watts said. “Beto’s got the juice right now. If he goes, he’s going to suck a lot of the oxygen out of the room. A lot … and immediately.”

The not taking PAC money/corporate donations was the first thing that caught my attention as a Texas voter.  Then he raised a Ton of it from little people and broke the record for fundraising of all who have/did.  Then I found he supported things like healthcare, no wall (imagine that, a White guy from El Paso that wants to try to get along with Hispanics), and he seemed to have some, charisma?

Having spent some time looking at Beto’s statements and service in the House, I feel certain he will be a great Demo candidate for 2020. Running mate - perhaps not a popular idea - Stacey Abrams. 

Ocasio can't run.  She's 29, gotta be 35 to run for US Prez.

O'Rourke/Abrams would be great, although it might be a good idea to have someone on the ticket who actually won a state-wide election...just say'n...

Edited by Cliff Varnell

3 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

O'Rourke/Abrams would be great, although it might be a good idea to have someone on the ticket who actually won a state-wide election...just say'n...

Well yeah - Stacey would have won in a fair election. 

3 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Love Ocasio but it’s too soon for sure.