The Education Forum

Memorial for John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kathleen Collins

I remember Thanksgiving of 1963, not knowing then if we should be thankful for anything.  I know now that we could have gratitude that Thanksgiving, 6 days after President Kennedy was killed.  We could feel and give thanks for the time we had with John Kennedy.  As this anniversary falls on Thanksgiving, I hope everyone remembers the good things we would have had under his continued administration.  

Kathy C

• 4 years later...

There is a 'strange' acre of land near Runnymede, England, that was supposedly given to the USA which has a JFK monument on it.

The site was dedicated by the Queen with Jackie, Caroline and Bobby in attendance during 1965.

An MP asked in the House of Commons whether this land has the status of 'Embassy land', and was told "No".

There was no other elaboration, just "no".

So if this one acre is USA "territory", what is its status in international law?

34 minutes ago, Mervyn Hagger said:

There is a 'strange' acre of land near Runnymede, England, that was supposedly given to the USA which has a JFK monument on it.

The site was dedicated by the Queen with Jackie, Caroline and Bobby in attendance during 1965.

An MP asked in the House of Commons whether this land has the status of 'Embassy land', and was told "No".

There was no other elaboration, just "no".

So if this one acre is USA "territory", what is its status in international law?

@Mervyn Hagger, your name came up recently in context of Radio Caroline.  Nice to see you here.