The Education Forum

Don Hewitt

4 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

WN:   How did that happen?  For example, who did Hewitt take his marching orders from at CBS?

Its in that article I linked to.  Based on the Fienman documents.  The top management--Paley, Stanton, Salant, and inexplicably Sig Mickelson, who was not part of CBS at the time, decided to halt the drive by the lower level guys to put the Warren Commission on trial.

To the point that John McCloy ended up being a consultant to the show, something that both he and CBS lied about.  This was convenient for Salant, since McCloy's daughter worked for him.

Roger Feinman paid a high price for protesting what CBS did.  He ended up getting terminated. But not before he spirited out these documents that proved their perfidy

•  

William S. Paley was appointed as a Colonel during WWII-- working with British and U.S. radio psy ops in London.

Frank Stanton was one of the "Eisenhower Ten"-- chosen as a member of a designated emergency leadership group in the event of a nuclear attack.

Both of those guys must have had relationships with former OSS colleagues like Allen Dulles and C.D. Jackson.

As for Ben Bradlee, the most interesting factoid in Peter Janey's book, Mary's Mosaic, was the reference to Ben Bradlee and his friend (CIA exec) Wistar Janey knowing at noon that Mary Pinchot Meyer had been murdered-- two or three hours before the D.C. police ever made any radio broadcasts about the murder.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

So, speaking as a guy who was a teenage Warren Commission Report dupe, it seems fair to say that Don Hewitt and CBS colluded in the long-term cover up of the conspiracy to murder President John F. Kennedy.

Does anyone on the forum disagree with that premise?

No, I would just like to add a possibly interesting (or not) tidbit.  When Judyth Baker decided to take her story to 60 Minutes it was Don Hewitt who heard her out and apparently gave her reason to believe he wanted CBS to do a segment on her. Then, according to Judyth, as they dug deeper, Hewitt said something to the effect of  "they slammed the door in our faces."  

If CBS put on a show endorsing the WC report the day it was released then somebody at CBS had to have been in contact with someone on the WC or working for it or was at least aware of what it would contain.  If as a show it was I'd guess it was an hour long, maybe two, maybe just a half hour.  In any case they would have needed some sort of synopsis, maybe something approaching the Associate Press version I have (366 pgs.), likely much less.  I guess it could have been a few key points, dramatized, supported by prior information from the press.  The point is somebody from CBS communicated with somebody affiliated with the WC Before the report was released.  I.E. support for it was established before it was released.  Nobody from CBS read the report that day then prepared a show and went on air that day.  Maybe I'm wrong.  They scanned the topics in it Oswald, Tippitt, Single bullet, and more and winged it.  Hard for me to believe but I admit to being cynical and suspicious after some of the things I've read about the assassination over the years.  On the CBS side I guess it could have been Hewitt, Salant or others on the CNEC.  From the WC there are multiple possibilities.  Obviously Dulles, Ford, already feeding Hoover on WC activities.  I guess Specter would be a stretch unless CBS was seeking advance info (!) but there are other possibilities.  There are people who participate in or read this forum who would know better than I of such.  Outside the WC, if Dulles knew what it contained and wanted it disseminated but didn't want personal association he still had Contact's at the CIA. His protégé he personally defended in the McCarthy Red Scare, former husband of JFK lover Mary Meyer Cord Meyer was the head of the CIA's Operation Mockingbird at this point if I remember right.

Note "William Paley" in the forum article below "These organizations were run by people such as William Paley (CBS), Henry Luce, Time Life, Sulzberger, Time Life...

https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKmockingbird.htm 

1.) I  suspect that Dulles was also an advisor to the program.

There is evidence to that effect, but I am not at liberty to reveal it right now.

It was part of the declassified docs.  You know the stuff that the MSM says has nothing of value in it.

2.)  Very good point Ron.  CBS had to have been tied in to the WC before that day of the report's release.  As Mark Lane wrote, when he and DeAntonio looked at the outtakes from the 1964 program they were taken aback.  Because whenever a witness would say something that did not jibe with the WR, they would cut and start over and repeat it until they got the answer they wanted.  No one can read over 800 pages in a day, or in this case, just a few hours.  And then put together a two hour documentary.  It is flatly impossible.   CBS had either the report of a summary in advance, and they working on this from that summary weeks in advance.  And their intent was to back up that report and to place the imprimatur of CBS on it.  

But we now know that the CBS imprimatur in this case was worthless.  Since it was not an independent inquiry at all.

3.) To reply to Pamela, from my understanding, CBS ended up rejecting Baker due to the work of attorney Carol Hewett, no relation to Don since name is spelled differently.  Carol, one of the best researchers I knew, spent months on the Baker case. She did a very through investigation since she was a practicing lawyer and had access to many databases.  She ended up thinking that Baker was delusional.

On 12/8/2018 at 6:43 PM, Pamela Brown said:

No, I would just like to add a possibly interesting (or not) tidbit.  When Judyth Baker decided to take her story to 60 Minutes it was Don Hewitt who heard her out and apparently gave her reason to believe he wanted CBS to do a segment on her. Then, according to Judyth, as they dug deeper, Hewitt said something to the effect of  "they slammed the door in our faces."  

Thanks Pam,   So CBS 60 minutes, the most successful news magazine in history was actually vetting. Judyth Vary Baker??? And Hewitt actually interviews Baker, himself?? Wow!

What happened to MSM conspiracy against the Kennedy assassination conspiracy???. It certainly sounds like their first instinct is to look for any excuse to advocate a story about a JFKA conspiracy! But by their standard, there just hasn't been any real certifiable news.

Ask yourself, what has been the biggest break in the JFKA news story in the last 20 years that was easily translatable to the public?. It wasn't about whether LHO was in MC, not that that isn't important.. .

It was the confession of a  known infamous figure, E. Howard Hunt. It was a great story from an admitted participant that could be easily assimilated by the general public, and it wasn't really squelched. It was pursued by no less than again, the most popular news magazine in history who would have gladly made it go mainstream.This they did full knowing that Hunt was actually implicating the Vice President being behind a plot to kill the POTUS. 

But they started vetting the story. and wondered of the wisdom of accepting as truth, the word of a known spy and convicted Watergate conspirator. They looked into St. John Hunt. They made a  decision that there wasn't sufficient evidence to besmirch the reputation of the 36th President, which was a wise decision, as they decided they just didn't have the goods, and if they recklessly went ahead, that would not only have  backfired on 60 Minutes. It would have on the JFKAConspiracy Community  as well.

Ultimately, I don't believe his story either, I think he points in the right direction, but knowingly pins the responsibility on the wrong source. Just another failed attempt at a JFKA breaking news story.

The moral of this story is that the JFKAConspiracy Community isn't being stymied at every turn by the MSM, it has to produce a real story.

Kirk,

Your argument is a straw man-- viz., because CBS may have vetted a bogus story or two, ALL stories de-bunking the WCR were censored because they were bogus.  PUH-LEEZE !

Here's a story that Don Hewitt and Dan Rather refused to report for 55 years, despite knowing that it was true-- the Zapruder film clearly shows that the fatal head shot was fired from the front and right of the limo.

Edited by W. Niederhut

W. Said

PUH-LEEZE

Oh I get it, a little everyday man's vernacular. Certainly more of a common touch, than your earlier indignant proclamation of "erroneous blather!!". I like it! But I liked "erroneous blather" too!

No link, W. But spare us.You don't think we've been down Dan Rather's account of the head shot 1000 times before you got to this forum? Tells us something we don't already know. Read my earlier posts.

W. Neiderhut says:

ALL stories de-bunking the WCR were censored because they were bogus.

Oh yeah?, Maybe you should research Hunt's supposed confession. There are some of us who think his fingering  of William Harvey, David Atlee Phillips, Frank Sturgis, David Morales and Cord Meyer has some merit. Including your mentor.  ( though personally I wonder about Cord Meyer)

Yes they were bogus in that Hunt IMO, deliberately didn't pin the plot on the right people and chose LBJ as a diversion. But they could have just passed on the story  entirely, and you would never have heard about it.

What shouldn't be lost in what I'm trying to tell you is 1)The JFKAC Community has not come  with a significant breaking story that is understandable to the public in  20 years and 2)I'm trying to tell you about nature of the stories that are going to break the case. So I'm in effect asking you and the JFKAC Community., Is what  you're doing really working? Do you really want to get as far trying to convince the public of the JFKAC in the next 20 than you have in the last 20?  If so,  I'd say that would be disastrous.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Kirk,

I will plead guilty to the charge of being a newbie on the forum.  Mea culpa.  Mea maxima culpa.

However, the central point I am raising on this thread is that Don Hewitt and CBS have actively colluded in the cover up of the conspiracy to murder President John F. Kennedy for the past 55 years-- from Day One, when Dan Rather lied about the Zapruder film.

The (CBS) problem isn't a lack of bona fide evidence debunking the Warren Commission Report-- far from it.

The problem is that CBS doesn't WANT to tell the American people the true story.

How and WHY did that happen?

If you recall, Dan Rather went on national TV in 1993 with another of his garbage specials on the JFK case.

At the end of the show he said that in 30 years there had not emerged a single piece of evidence to impeach the Warren Commission.

What makes this even more sick is that he had interviewed both Belin and Tanenbaum for the show.  Tanenbaum was really going at Belin so they cut a lot of it out.

Off camera, between takes, Rather told Tanenbaum, "We really blew it on the Kennedy assassination."

Is that about as bad as it gets?  He knows he is wrong but he persists in the mythomania.

9 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Kirk,

I will plead guilty to the charge of being a newbie on the forum.  Mea culpa.  Mea maxima culpa.

However, the central point I am raising on this thread is that Don Hewitt and CBS have actively colluded in the cover up of the conspiracy to murder President John F. Kennedy for the past 55 years-- from Day One, when Dan Rather lied about the Zapruder film.

The (CBS) problem isn't a lack of bona fide evidence debunking the Warren Commission Report-- far from it.

The problem is that CBS doesn't WANT to tell the American people the true story.

How and WHY did that happen?

Not true that Don Hewitt and CBS have colluded in the cover up for the past 55 years.  Hewitt died in 2009.

Although CBS has yet to tell the full story, don't blame them.  If you're looking for someone to blame, then blame the entire media, the government, and the so-called "research community" for their role in suppressing the one piece of hard evidence that would blow this case wide open.

And by the way, Day One doesn't begin with Dan Rather's comments about the Zapruder film on Monday November 25, 1963.  It begins with Rather on the day of the assassination.  Where he was, what he did, what he said, what he didn't say for a 2 1/2 hour period from 12:30pm to 3:00pm CST.

Following this simple trail leads to that one piece of hard evidence.  Will anyone go there?  Probably not.  No one has publicly gone there for over 55 years now. Maybe it's about time.

Finally.  I can't stress enough that Dan Rather had no knowledge at all of the assassination before the shooting began.  He did, however, find himself in a unique place that would change his life forever.

Ken

Edited by Ken Rheberg

18 hours ago, Ken Rheberg said:

Not true that Don Hewitt and CBS have colluded in the cover up for the past 55 years.  Hewitt died in 2009.

Although CBS has yet to tell the full story, don't blame them.  If you're looking for someone to blame, then blame the entire media, the government, and the so-called "research community" for their role in suppressing the one piece of hard evidence that would blow this case wide open.

And by the way, Day One doesn't begin with Dan Rather's comments about the Zapruder film on Monday November 25, 1963.  It begins with Rather on the day of the assassination.  Where he was, what he did, what he said, what he didn't say for a 2 1/2 hour period from 12:30pm to 3:00pm CST.

Following this simple trail leads to that one piece of hard evidence.  Will anyone go there?  Probably not.  No one has publicly gone there for over 55 years now. Maybe it's about time.

Finally.  I can't stress enough that Dan Rather had no knowledge at all of the assassination before the shooting began.  He did, however, find himself in a unique place that would change his life forever.

Ken

Ken,

This is not a valid rebuttal of my central point above.

I am fully aware that Hewitt died in 2009, which is why I said that Hewitt and CBS have colluded in the cover up, etc.

Secondly, "Day One" in my argument refers to November 22, 1963.

Third, from what I have read, there is a great deal of well-documented scientific, forensic, and historical evidence that absolutely debunks the Warren Commission Report-- not just "one piece of evidence."

Fourth, I never implied that Dan Rather knew in advance about the assassination plot.  In fact, I said that Dan Rather must have been ordered (presumably, by Don Hewitt) to lie about the Zapruder film.

Finally, I agree that the entire mainstream media has, evidently, colluded in the cover up of the conspiracy to murder JFK-- but I wanted to inquire specifically about how that happened in the case of Don Hewitt and CBS.

Edited by W. Niederhut

19 hours ago, Ken Rheberg said:

Ken

What is the one piece of hard evidence you refer to? Maybe I’m being dense, but the question is honest.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:39 PM, Kirk Gallaway said:

Thanks Pam,   So CBS 60 minutes, the most successful news magazine in history was actually vetting. Judyth Vary Baker??? And Hewitt actually interviews Baker, himself?? Wow!

What happened to MSM conspiracy against the Kennedy assassination conspiracy???. It certainly sounds like their first instinct is to look for any excuse to advocate a story about a JFKA conspiracy! But by their standard, there just hasn't been any real certifiable news.

Ask yourself, what has been the biggest break in the JFKA news story in the last 20 years that was easily translatable to the public?. It wasn't about whether LHO was in MC, not that that isn't important.. .

It was the confession of a  known infamous figure, E. Howard Hunt. It was a great story from an admitted participant that could be easily assimilated by the general public, and it wasn't really squelched. It was pursued by no less than again, the most popular news magazine in history who would have gladly made it go mainstream.This they did full knowing that Hunt was actually implicating the Vice President being behind a plot to kill the POTUS. 

But they started vetting the story. and wondered of the wisdom of accepting as truth, the word of a known spy and convicted Watergate conspirator. They looked into St. John Hunt. They made a  decision that there wasn't sufficient evidence to besmirch the reputation of the 36th President, which was a wise decision, as they decided they just didn't have the goods, and if they recklessly went ahead, that would not only have  backfired on 60 Minutes. It would have on the JFKAConspiracy Community  as well.

Ultimately, I don't believe his story either, I think he points in the right direction, but knowingly pins the responsibility on the wrong source. Just another failed attempt at a JFKA breaking news story.

The moral of this story is that the JFKAConspiracy Community isn't being stymied at every turn by the MSM, it has to produce a real story.

Judyth's story is even more curious than just the involvement of Don Hewitt.  I was not involved with her when it happened, so all I know is from Judyth, after-the-fact.  Ed Haslam -- who says he conveniently 'met' a JVB imposter in   when MF+TMV first came out -- or just prior to it, I don't recall -- and then was just delighted to meet the real one -- enters into the picture.  For me, this is a subject of vital interest, because, in hindsight, it seems that Ed created an alternative universe with MF+TMV and then Judyth walked right into it. They are both from Bradenton, FL -- as a coincidence.  But that's a subject for another post.

Per Judyth, it was Ed who brought her to 60 Minutes.  Exactly how that happened, I don't know.  But,. as Jimmie D. says elsewhere in this thread, Carol Hewitt (no relation to Don) did actual research on Judyth's claims and had a lot of questions.  Subsequent to that, CBS asked Judyth to take a psych test, which I think she said she did take and 'passed'.  However, it was at that point Don Hewitt told her that "We had the door slammed in our faces", and the segment was cancelled.  

Edited by Pamela Brown

Pam, I think of Judyth Baker as probably having the same instincts for publicity as say Roger Stone. If she could have produced a lot   credible  corroborating witnesses to them being a couple and some pictures of her and Lee, that is, if her story was actually true, which it clearly isn't, Then that is the kind of story that "has legs," and invites further investigations.

1 minute ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Pam, I think of Judyth Baker as probably having the same instincts for publicity as say Roger Stone. If she could have produced a lot   credible  corroborating witnesses to them being a couple and some pictures of her and Lee, that is, if her story was actually true, which it clearly isn't, Then that is the kind of story that "has legs," and invites further investigations.

I agree.  Judyth is a veritable PT Barnum.  I have never seen anyone work people the way she does. Of course, if she comes to understand -- as she finally did with me -- that you did not believe her -- she will turn on you.  In my case, she sent an email slandering me to all of our colleagues, and then said 'who will believe you now?' to me.  She even went out of her way to put on her show at MY local library in Eden Prairie, MN, which happens to be my very favorite place.  I did not attend, but that still stings.  She can be vicious.  

My perspective on Judyth is that she is a good creative fiction writer.  This is how her story began -- studying with Prof. Joe Riehl at Tulane U.  I think she puts herself into a situation and then writes what she 'sees' and 'feels' about it, and is quite good at that.  She stumbles over questions, and then just adds to her story.  It is virtually impossible to 'catch' her in a lie in such a way that she will acknowledge it, because she just keeps adding to her story and 'remembering' things.  She is shameless as well, imo.