The Education Forum

Oswald IS Wearing a Ring upon his Arrest

I realize you’re being sarcastic Cory but the lone nutters are the ones who make a big deal out of LHO allegedly leaving his wedding ring at the Paines the day of the assassination.

My question is - why would you leave a ring as a final goodbye to your wife but replace it with another ring?  

Edited by Mike Kilroy

Good photo, Mike K.  Isn't that his beloved Marine Corps ring?  Maybe he figured it could be a good luck charm, or just something to show he was one of The Good Guys.  The Wizard of Ozzeewaldskovitchnikovsky was very proud of his Semper Fi service, and very hurt by the downgrading of his discharge.

Aside: I'm always amazed at the military's fondness for jewelry, pretty geegaws, decorations, fancy accoutrements and accessories in general.  Like an idle, narcissistic dowager (rich old woman).

Edited by Roy Wieselquist
to correct surname spelling

seriously, Ozzie figured he was on a very important mission: stop the slaughter of a president who was for the people and decent in every political way.  And if he couldn't do that, shoot the Judas/Brutus/Cassius on the ground who made the coup possible.  Hint: he was John B. Connelly, who also coincidentally blew him off when he inquired about righting the wrong of besmirching his heroic service with a dishonorable discharge.  Which isn't the kind one gets from gonorrhea.

Edited by Roy Wieselquist
tense agreement

Mike K., Thanks for that link to the JVB/ J Fetzer blog.  The end of the subtitle has it right -- "Lee Harvey Oswald: Patriot, Patsy, and My Personal Hero".  Mine too.

And down in this article, "...he gave his life trying to save President Kennedy."  Nailed it.

I've always liked Jim Fetzer.  And Judy Baker in this article is spot on.

2 hours ago, Mike Kilroy said:

I realize you’re being sarcastic Cory but the lone nutters are the ones who make a big deal out of LHO allegedly leaving his wedding ring at the Paines the day of the assassination.

My question is - why would you leave a ring as a final goodbye to your wife but replace it with another ring?  

No I am serious I believe it could be very relevant. The fact he left his wedding ring is huge so if he wore another one it’s a nice find. Good job for bringing it up. 

Edited by Cory Santos

10 hours ago, Mike Kilroy said:

"...on his wedding ring finger..."  Lee was married to the Marines.  He loved them from an early age, memorized nearly the entire Marine Corps manual.  Of course, the bloom was off the rose in many ways later.  As he said at his cousin's Jesuit school in Spring Hill that last summer he lived in Nawlins.  But he still loved the heroic IDEAL of USMC.  Maybe more at the end of his heroic life.

He married a girl named MARINE-uh.  How's that for coincidence?  The irony must have struck him at some time or another.

That's no wedding ring.

It's a Marine Corp one...right?

Oswald's wearing of this "Semper Fi - Always Faithful" Marine Corp ring suggests to me that he felt at least "some" pride and loyalty feelings tied to it's symbolic brotherhood meaning.

A Marine Corp ring worn on the wedding finger of a person who allegedly just brutally blew apart a President's head only inches from his wife's face and mere hours before is a strange thing but even more strange considering Oswald was supposedly such a devout Marxist commie as described by the national media that very day.

A USA hating commie wearing a U.S. Marine Corps service honoring ring?

And wouldn't that big hunky top ring possibly have been a hindrance in handling, firing and reloading the chambers of that piece of junk Italian rifle?

And If Oswald did do the JFK act, you'd think he wouldn't want to shame his fellow Marine brothers by keeping the corps honoring ring on throughout his embarrassing world viewed arrest perp walks.

And what is that metal bracelet Oswald is wearing on his wrist?

And wouldn't the Dallas police have done a complete body pat down and search of a violently resisting murder suspect and removed any jewelry off of him  as identification evidence at some point especially when he was placed in a jail cell?

Edited by Joe Bauer

What was the standard big city police policy back in 1963 of jewelry wearing murder suspects regarding allowing them to keep these on their person once they are placed in custody and a jail cell? Any general guesses?

21 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

What was the standard big city police policy back in 1963 of jewelry wearing murder suspects regarding allowing them to keep these on their person once they are placed in custody and a jail cell? Any general guesses?

In above link, Oswald is also wearing his ID bracelet.

On 12/7/2018 at 1:36 PM, Mike Kilroy said:

deleted

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

Suggestion:  Read Ernst Titovets' book.  Oswald had an ornate silver ring that he had acquired in Japan and that was the envy of everyone at the Minsk radio factory.  Numerous workers tried to buy it or barter for it.  When Oswald departed for the U.S., he handed it to Titovets as a parting souvenir.  Titovets declined it, thinking it might have value if Oswald was ever penniless.  My guess would be that this is the ring he is wearing in the photo.  My guess would be that he left his wedding ring, but not this one, because the wedding ring would have significance to Marina but this one wouldn't.  Leaving the wedding ring may have also sent a message:  "This is adios, sweetie."

Edit:  Nope.  Interesting as my Titovets tidbit may have been, it was his Marine Corps ring:  https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49673/m1/1/

Edit edit:  Here is a thread on this topic:  http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/13292-oswalds-marine-ring/  Someone mentions the fact, which I had forgotten, that Russians wear their wedding ring on the right hand.  So presumably Russophile Lee continued the tradition.

My current theory, which I'm standing by until further notice, is that Harvey gave Lee his Marine Corps ring just before the assassination as the ultimate badge of authenticity.  Or maybe Lee gave it to Harvey, however that's supposed to work.  But then Sandy Larsen (I think it was) noticed that the eagle was missing two tail feathers when the body was exhumed, and the jig was up.  Then the Weaponizer (I believe it was)  irrefutably proved that the supposed button hole in Oswald's shirt cuff DID NOT MATCH the location of the ring on his finger and, well, the rest is history.  Case closed.

Edited by Guest