The Education Forum

A Lie Too Big To Fail by Lisa Pease

Micah Mileto

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Illuminati aren't involved but yeah, I get my Kindle version soon as well. Looking forward to reading it. It was heavily discounted on Amazon a few days ago and may still be, but was the #1 political history volume on their chart. This surely means it's time for the Guardian to drag out an unrelated RFK story or profile of Sirhan to muddy the Google algorithms for a few weeks.

19 minutes ago, Anthony Thorne said:

The Illuminati aren't involved but yeah, I get my Kindle version soon as well. Looking forward to reading it. It was heavily discounted on Amazon a few days ago and may still be, but was the #1 political history volume on their chart. This surely means it's time for the Guardian to drag out an unrelated RFK story or profile of Sirhan to muddy the Google algorithms for a few weeks.

"Illuminati confirmed" in every way except literal devil worship, I guess. 12 dollars to preorder now.

I preordered the hard copy a few weeks ago.  Amazon charged me for it today.  Hopefully it's on the way though officially they still say the 24th - 31st.  Ordered Joan Mellen's Blood in the Water today using wife's prime account so it should be here by Thursday.  Merry Christmas reading to me over Christmas break.  LBJ was such a scumbag.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's someday discovered he knew about MLK and RFK's murders in advance.  IMO he was nothing but a figurehead following orders from those who ordered the murder of his predecessor.

Yeah Ron,

Great comment.  I agree with you on LBJ.  He was the first president i voted for and being a good democrat I voted for him when I just turned 17.  He was my favorite president until I wised up.

Edited by John Butler

19 hours ago, John Butler said:

Yeah Ron,

Great comment.  I agree with you on LBJ.  He was the first president i voted for and being a good democrat I voted for him when I just turned 17.  He was my favorite president until I wised up.

How did you vote for LBJ at 17? The Voting age wasn't dropped from 21 to 18 until just before the 1972 election.

At which point voting at age 17 would still be illegal.

Yet you claim to have done so in 1964. Some details or corroborating evidence would be nice.

I've not thought of that old argument in years Mark.  I'm old enough to get drafted, sent to Vietnam and killed, but not old enough to vote or by a beer?  I got to buy beer in 74 at 18 as a result but thankfully the war was winding down by that fall when my birthday came around and my ping pong ball was never called after I registered and received the draft card I've still got.  Best friend swore he'd got to Canada before Vietnam.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the book for Christmas and am reading ...  Lisa is a great researcher and investigator, and ties many points together in a credible manner.    I've read quite a bit about RFK and all the loose ends - and many good authors that preceded her - but Lisa puts another dimension onto the story.  Like getting a graduate education in the story.  

Its actually quite sad, almost depressing, to understand what happened to RFK and our country in June 1968.  I had just graduated from high school, and there was great hope that Bobby would lead the country out of the mess that was Vietnam, widespread racial tensions and questionable politicians.  He seemed a candidate of the people (all people) and someone who had moral courage and would put the country on the right path.  What a loss ... and then we got Ricard Nixon for the next 6 years.  It breaks my heart to read about what happened to him, and how brazen and brash the plotters were, including the coverup and intimidation for years to come.  

Many of my age and era lost faith in politics, government, and the ability to effect change.  Not sure the country ever quite recovered.       

Mark,

Yeah, I thought I had pulled a fast one at 17 voting illegally for LBJ.  I had just turned 17 and registered in September.   But, the county officials were just glad to get another Democrat vote.   Politics in the county I grew up in in Central Ky was as they say there "crooked as a dog's hind leg and twice as dirty".  Actually, they knew who I was.  I had worked at passing out election whiskey to buy votes as early as 12 years old for my brother in law and others starting in 1958.  I didn't drink but was paid in 1/2 pints of whiskey.  In those days a 1/2 pint of whiskey sold at the bootleggers for 2 dollars.  

I don't have any corroborating evidence.  In reality I have never thought about the voting age.  I just assumed in 1964 that the voting age was 18 and its kind of a shock that I got away with that at 17.  I didn't.  It was just crooked county officials. 

PS

I just went and looked up voting age in Ky.  I thought I was right about 18.  Here's a statement on voting in Ky in 1964:

"- In 1955, 18-20 year-olds were enfranchised in Kentucky – 16 years before the 26th Amendment granted voting rights to that same age group in other states"

Edited by John Butler

On 12/18/2018 at 6:29 PM, Mark Knight said:

How did you vote for LBJ at 17? The Voting age wasn't dropped from 21 to 18 until just before the 1972 election.

At which point voting at age 17 would still be illegal.

Yet you claim to have done so in 1964. Some details or corroborating evidence would be nice.

No biggie there... In '50s Texas, dead people voted for LBJ to congress and to the senate.

Absorbing.  I'm only 67 pages in but it conveys the chaos and confusion at the Ambassador and in the pantry afterwards extremely well I think.  I stopped to refer to the index out of curiosity when Angleton's name came up on page 66.  He's mentioned ten more times.  This one is credited to Jeff Morley's Our Man In Mexico which I have but had forgotten this point.  Why were pictures of RFK's autopsy found in Angleton's files years later? 

That polka dot dress is pretty hard to ignore.  Especially with her mouth, telling multiple people We Killed Him.  I'd venture a guess she at least could have been eliminated shortly afterwards.  But I should read on first.

Edited by Ron Bulman

There were Twenty witnesses to the girl in the polka dot dress?  Twenty?  Those not badgered/intimidated into changing their story, misquoted or outright having their statements changed were simply ignored?  Page 123.

But Moldea says "Ignore her!"

How do you ignore 20 witnesses? Its Warren Commission time.

Edited by James DiEugenio