The Education Forum

Edwin Walker

Jim Root

Jim - Paul Trejo has kept this thread going for a few years, crediting you often for starting it. His theory, if he will permit me, is that Walker knew that Oswald shot at him within a day of the incident, and that he and fellow Minuteman Bannister used that info to blackmail Oswald into trying to get into Cuba to assassinate Castro. Thereafter Walker and others ran the JFK assassination and set Oswald up as the Patsy by involving him in this conspiracy in some capacity. His theory is much more than that f course, but that is at the heart of it. What do you think of this?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul- Paul Trejo and I have communicated in the past.....I must admit that I have sort of let the ball drop on that communication. I know that Paul has had greater access to the Walker papers than I have had although I do hope to have an opportunity to peruse those papers in greater detail at some time in the future.

My research suggests that Walker was a soldier ready to do whatever he was commanded to do and to do it to the best of his ability. Despite the fact that Walker obtained a couple of stars in his career I see Walker as a facilitator rather than as a planner and not as a deep thinker. In other words I don't see him as being capable of being the leader of a plot to assassinate the President.

I do agree that Walker, throughout his life, continuously suggested that Oswald was arrested immediately following the assassination attempt on his life and seems to have believed that it was the Kennedy administration that stepped in to have Oswald released. I have found nothing to suggest that that story is true. I do believe that immediately upon seeing Oswald arrested after the assassination of Kennedy Walker recognized him because he had seen him in an airport while traveling to Germany and immediately knew that Oswald must have some very high intelligence connections. Walker did not need to know what those connections were but he would probably, if I am correct, at that same time realize that his fall from grace in the military may well have been orchestrated because Oswald returned to the United States. The telephone interview that Walker did the morning following the assassination with the German publication which then "broke" the story that Oswald was the person that had attempted to kill Walker suggests that Walker was, at a minimum, aware of who Oswald was and in addition wanted to separate himself from Oswald. The Warren Commission testimony of Walker is a very interesting read to me but no one asked him the question, "How did this German publication know to call the Captain Shreve Hotel in Shreve Port, La?" I believe a very scared Walker wanted that story to hit. After the death of Oswald, Walker had no fear of what Oswald would say but I believe Walker realized that it was Oswald that shot at him as soon as he realized Oswald was in Dallas. I also believe that for the rest of his life Walker had to avoid telling how he was so sure so soon after the assassination of Kennedy that Oswald had shot at him and that is why Walker maintained the other story, to avoid having to discuss what I believe to be the real problem that Walker would have had explaining his interview with the German newspaper.

Jim Root

Mr. Trejo, I'm willing to help. As you know, I have several leads, video interviews and telephonic interviews with members of former JBS members in Dallas. If you'd like to share some names and addresses of people for me to interview, I will gladly do it. I too think Edwin Walker had much to do with the JFK assassination.

This is an extremely generous offer, Gayle. I'll tell you my thoughts on this right away.

(1) I believe that Michael Paine no longer lives in Dallas -- nor his children -- but he is among that last three living Dallas sources about Edwin Walker during the period of the JFK murder.

(2) The other two I have in mind are Bernie Weissman and Larrie Schmidt -- both from the CUSA -- and neither lives in Dallas anymore (nor their children).

(3) As for those who still live in Dallas -- the Warren Commission gave us names -- and IMHO their children should be targeted for interviews. The children of the JBS members who financed the Black-bordered Ad would be first on my list. The children of the JBS members who financed the WANTED FOR TREASON: JFK handbill would also top my list.

(4) Based on my theory that many JBS people in Dallas were in close touch with Edwin Walker, my first interest would be PUBLIC officials also in the JBS -- so naturally their children.

(4.1) On top of that list would be the children of J.D. Tippit. I've read rumors that he was involved with the Minutemen, the Citizen's Council and the JBS. His children would know better

(4.2) Also, the children of Roscoe White, another DPD officer and notorious rightist. Ricky White has already told his story about his dad -- but I would ask about his JBS connections, and I haven't read about that.

(4.3) Also, the children of Jesse Curry -- it is of great interest to me whether Curry was a member of the JBS or other rightist groups, including the (White) Citizens Council.

(4.4) Also, the children of Will Fritz. Also, the children of Henry Wade.

(4.5) Also, the children of any other active DPD officer who in 1963 was a members of the JBS.

That's already a lot, Gayle -- months and months of tedious labor. Yet I'm convinced that the key to the JFK murder still rests in Dallas.

Insofar as Jim Garrison dug deeply in New Orleans and found one motherlode where Lee Harvey Oswald once walked -- I feel confident that whoever digs (sociologically, not archaeologically) in Dallas will finally find the hidden secrets of the JFK murder.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Walker always denied Oswald shot at him with the Mannlicher Carcanno.

Yet Oswald was set up to take the fall. Walker could have but didn't participate in the set up.

If Walker was behind the assassination, how do we square this with his refusal to implicate Oswald?

Well, Jon, the personal papers of Edwin Walker now stored at UT Austin (Briscoe Center) tell a different story. Edwin Walker was convinced that Lee Oswald was one of TWO shooters at him on 10 April 1963.

Even though Walker told the Warren Commission that he never thought of Lee Harvey Oswald until Marina Oswald named him as Walker's April shooter to the WC on 6 December 1963, Walker told a completely different story to many other people.

Walker (otherwise) consistently claimed that he knew that Lee Harvey Oswald was his shooter only a few days after the shooting -- and that he got this information from authorities in Dallas.

Yes, that completely contradicted his sworn testimony to the Warren Commission - but, oh, well. That wasn't the first time that Edwin Walker lied under oath.

Walker was obsessed with finding his second shooter -- to the very end of his life.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

One of the advantages of occasionally going through storage boxes is that you can discover long-lost items. Tonight, for example, I discovered two FBI files which I received 15 or more years ago but I had misplaced.

After I scan them, I will arrange to post these on the Internet Archive website:

1. Joseph A. Milteer (159 pages of cross-references from various files which discuss Milteer and Willie Somersett, plus Milteer's connection to numerous right-wing extremist organizations)

2, A major section from FBI HQ file 157-864 ("Alleged Klan Participation in Insurrection Plot") which contains a lot of information pertaining to Edwin A. Walker.

...My research suggests that Walker was a soldier ready to do whatever he was commanded to do and to do it to the best of his ability. Despite the fact that Walker obtained a couple of stars in his career I see Walker as a facilitator rather than as a planner and not as a deep thinker. In other words I don't see him as being capable of being the leader of a plot to assassinate the President...

Jim Root

Jim, I'll respond to only your first point for now, to keep this fairly short.

You say that Walker was an obedient General officer of the US Army, and that was true, for most of the time. Then Walker submitted his resignation not once but twice in his career -- first on 4 Sep 1959 to Eisenhower, and then on 1 Nov 1961 to JFK.

You're right that Walker in his 30 years of service did a great job with many military tasks, including his racial integration of Little Rock High School in 1957. But that was when his heart was finally broken. The right-wingers in the South really worked on him (as did his own mother) and in 1959 Walker joined the John Birch Society (JBS) and resigned from the Army, citing a Fifth Column Conspiracy (which is pure JBS drivel). The real issue was Southern politics.

Ike tore up Walker's first resignation and gave Walker a command over 10,000 troops in Augsburg, Germany, guarding the Berlin Wall. Walker grabbed the honor. Walker was even allowed to create his own Troop Propaganda program based on the JBS model, which he called, "Pro-Blue" (meaning Anti-Red).

Now, the myth is that JFK fired Walker because of his JBS propaganda. That's not true. The truth is that the Joint Chiefs of staff fired Walker because of a horrible series of shore-flaps that climaxed on 16 April 1961 (the same day as the Bay of Pigs) when the Overseas Weekly newspaper in Germany slammed Walker with a two-page attack over his allegedly John Birch Society program.

But in reality that was only the tip of the iceberg. Actually, the Overseas Weekly had been spying on Walker for 18 months because they were certain that General Edwin Walker was GAY. Walker hated these people, and he even sued the Overseas Weekly in Civil Court and won, but that only made the Overseas Weekly staff even more angry. That was why they decided to pull out all the stops and scare the hell out of the Joint Chiefs.

The Joint Chiefs (and JFK) could care less about the JBS propaganda (at this point) -- and their real complaint was about a shore-flap in Germany in the middle of the Cold War. The Joint Chiefs booted Walker off of his command the very next day.

JFK even offered Walker a new propaganda post in Hawaii -- but this is when Walker submitted his *second* resignation to the US Army. Again Walker spurned his 30 year pension. Why would anybody do that? There was utterly no reason for it. He could just as easily have accepted his Army pension and then went out and joined the ANP for all that anybody cared.

But Walker gave up his pension. Whatever outstanding military and technical skills Walker had, there had to be something wrong somewhere for him to give up his Army pension when he didn't have to. (Sigmund Freud once wrote that paranoia always has a homosexual component, i.e. in his day, when all homosexuals had to live in the closet.) It's possible that living in the closet in the US Army for a lifetime (when the truth really meant court-martial) may have taken its toll on General Edwin Walker. (Or maybe not -- Edwin Walker was one hell of a fighter.)

No, I see only two plausible reasons for that hasty act of spurning his Army pension. First, Walker intended to enter politics, and he would play the martyr, to get voters to think about how Harry Truman fired General MacArthur in 1951. Secondly, Walker had a rich bankroller to guarantee his income as he entered politics, namely, H.L. Hunt (who actually financed Walker's early 1962 campaign for Texas Governor).

Also, Jim, remember that after less than one year as a civilian, Walker led one the most violent race riots on a US college campus, at Ole Miss in September of 1962. So, really, Walker was clearly getting the hang of civilian independence from the US Army.

However, you are correct, Jim, to cite Walker's abilities in tactics over strategy. Walker did need somebody to call the shots and create the Big Picture for him. I think we need have no doubts about who that was -- Robert Welch and the JBS.

Aside from his personal papers, which offer ample evidence for this fact, I need only cite three major events of 1963 in which Edwin Walker was at the center of the cyclone, and following the JBS:

(1) The humiliation of Adlai Stevenson in Dallas on 24 October 1963 at the Dallas Memorial Auditorium. What many people don't know is that General Walker rented the Dallas Memorial Auditorium on 23 October 1963 in order to call his JBS minions to order there, and to booby-trap the Auditorium for the next night. The strategy was made by Robert Welch's writings, who insisted that no Communist must ever be allowed to complete a speech in a Free City. They must be interrupted, heckled, booed and prevented from speaking at all costs. Halloween noise-maker mischief along with every sort of disruption was carefully planned by Edwin Walker.

(2) The Black-Bordered Ad in the Dallas Morning News of 22 November 1963 was orchestrated by the John Birch Society in Dallas. Edwin Walker's people were behind this, including Larrie Schmidt, Robbie Schmidt, Robert Allen Surrey and a host of JBS members. The content of the Black-Bordered Ad was substantially taken from JBS magazines.

(3) The WANTED FOR TREASON: JFK handbill of 22 November 1963 was modeled after KKK posters of Earl Warren after his Brown Decision to racially integrate US Public Schools. Robert Allen Surrey and Robbie Schmidt were directly involved in it. The content of the WANTED FOR TREASON: JFK handbill was substantially taken from JBS magazines.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

<edit typos>

Edited by Paul Trejo

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:50 PM

mae.jpg

Worldwatchers Archive

A Tribute to Mae Brussell

Dialogue: Conspiracy 78-02-26 (CLICK LINK) audio
By admin, on April 1st, 2011

Whole Show

================================

Now, the myth is that JFK fired Walker because of his JBS propaganda. That's not true. The truth is that the Join Chiefs of staff fired Walker because of a horrible series of shore-flaps that climaxed on 16 April 1961 (the same day as the Bay of Pigs) when the Overseas Weekly newspaper in Germany slammed Walker with a two-page attack over his allegedly John Birch Society program.

But in reality that was only the tip of the iceberg. Actually, the Overseas Weekly had been spying on Walker for 18 months because they were certain that General Edwin Walker was GAY. Walker hated these people, and he even sued the Overseas Weekly in Civil Court and won, but that only made the Overseas Weekly angry. That was why they decided to pull out all the stops and scare the hell out of the Joint Chiefs.

The Joint Chiefs (and JFK) could care less about the JBS propaganda (at this point) -- and their real complaint was about a shore-flap in Germany in the middle of the Cold War. The Joint Chiefs booted Walker off of his command the very next day.// TREJO

=================================================

Credibility of information of Radio program increases doesnt it ??

EDWIN WALKER AND LEE HARVEY OSWALD

Some readers will remember the July 1964 testimony of Warren Reynolds to the Warren Commission. Reynolds was the one who chased a suspect from the Tippit murder scene for an entire block. At first Reynolds declined to identify Lee Harvey Oswald as that suspect. However, some weeks later, after Reynolds was shot in the head and survived the attack, he decided that he could positively identify Oswald as Tippit's killer. The FBI did not accept Reynold's change of heart.

What many readers may not realize is that Reynold's WC testimony is best understood in the context of Ex-General Edwin Walker.

Without going into the well-known and ultra-dramatic back-story about Reynold being shot in the head, I will summarize very briefly. The DPD was convinced that they identified that shooter as a local car thief (Darrell Garner) seeking revenge against the Reynolds family. The FBI were firmly convinced that Warren Reynold had nothing whatsoever to add to the JFK murder case.

However, before Edwin Walker was due for his own testimony, Walker wrote to the Warren Commission and urged them to hear Reynold's story again, because he was certain that it was important for the JFK case. So the Warren Commission decided to hear Reynolds. However, as one can read in the testimony excerpt below, the Warren Commission attorneys later regretted this complete waste of time.

Why did Edwin Walker select Warren Reynolds as a candidate for "important" testimony in the JFK case? For one thing, Walker had a personal relationship with Warren Reynolds. It was suggested by Loran Hall to NOLA DA Jim Garrison that Warren Reynolds had a homosexual relationship with Edwin Walker. This is arguably implied in three different aspects which might be gleaned from this testimony:

(1) Edwin Walker apparently coached Warren Reynolds personally, urging him that his story really was important, and not to believe his detractors.

(2) When WC attorney Liebeler asked Warren Reynolds to tell the court the content of his last phone conversation with Edwin Walker -- only a few hours before -- Warren Reynolds bluntly refused to answer.

(3) The main message of Warren Reynolds was evidently this: that the Warren Commission, FBI and CIA had neglected to investigate Edwin Walker's second shooter of 10 April 1963. In the same way they had neglected to investigate Warren Reynold's real shooter of January 1964. Thus, the authorities had possibly missed that Walker's second shooter was probably the same shooter who shot Reynolds in the head.

The fact that there was zero substance to connect the two cases did not matter to Warren Reynolds, just as it did not matter to Edwin Walker (who also refers to it in his own testimony). In any case, I believe that EF readers should review the WC testimony of Warren Reynolds again, with Edwin Walker in mind. To that end I include an excerpt from the final minutes of the Reynolds testimony.

Best regards,
--Paul Trejo

<edit typos>

------------ BEGIN EXCERPT OF WARREN COMMISSION TESTIMONY BY WARREN REYNOLDS OF 7/22/1964 --------------------

<snip>

Mr. LIEBELER. Have you considered, when you thought about this problem, that there are other people that actually went down to the police station and viewed Oswald in lineups, and have testified in Washington before this Commission, and received international publicity in connection with the identification of Oswald as the murderer of Tippit and that so far at any rate they have not been attacked in any way such as you were?

Mr. REYNOLDS. Yes; I have.

Mr. LIEBELER. Can you suggest to me why you were picked out to be shot for this reason and not these other people?

Mr. REYNOLDS. The ones that I know, I am the only aggressor in the whole bunch. I am the only one that actually did something more than just look. I actually did something.

Mr. LIEBELER. But that is the only distinction you can see between yourself and those other people?

Mr. REYNOLDS. That’s right.

Mr. LIEBELER. Have you discussed this question of the possible relationship between your shooting and the assassination, with General Walker?

Mr. REYNOLDS. Yes; I have.

Mr. LIEBELER. What did you say to him and what did he say to you about this matter, if you remember.

Mr. REYNOLDS. Oh, I said to him basically the same thing that I have said to you, and he said it could be and he thinks that it’s strange that I was shot. I think anybody would think it strange. But of course, if you have ever talked to him, he wouldn’t say yes or no.

Mr. LIEBELER. Does General Walker know of any facts, so far as you know, that would relate your shooting to the assassination?

Mr. REYNOLDS. No.

Mr. LIEBELER. He has never expressed a firm opinion to you one way or the other as to whether there was in fact, any connection between the two, has he?

Mr. REYNOLDS. Let me just let him answer that when he talks to you.

Mr. LIEBELER. Did you know that he is going to talk to us?

Mr. REYNOLDS. Yes; I do.

Mr. LIEBELER. How do you know that?

Mr. REYNOLDS. I talked to him.

Mr. LIERELER. Talked to him since we have invited him to come over and talk to us?

Mr. REYNOLDS. Yes.

Mr. LIEBELER. When is the last time you talked to General Walker?

Mr. REYNOLDS. Around noon today.

Mr. LIEBELER. Talked to him on the telephone? Or in person?

Mr. REYNOLDS. Telephone; yes.

Mr. LIEBELER. Did you discuss with him your appearance before the Commission here?

Mr. REYNOLDS. Yes.

Mr. LIEBELER. Would you tell us the general subject of your conversation?

Mr. REYNOLDS. I just don’t want to answer that, really.

Mr. LIEBELER. Preceding your conversation at noon today, when was the last time you talked to him before that, do you remember, approximately?

Mr. REYNOLDS. About a week ago. Maybe 2 weeks.

Mr. LIEBELER. How many times have you talked to him about this question altogether?

Mr. REYNOLDS. I have no idea; five or six.

Mr. LIEBELER. Now, in fact, General Walker sent a telegram to the Commission suggesting that we take your testimony, did he not?

Mr. REYNOLDS. Yes.

Mr. LIERELER. You knew that he did? Did he tell you that?

Mr. REYNOLDS. Yes. May I go off the record?

Mr. LIEBELER. Sure.

(Discussion off the record)

Mr. LIEBELER. I think I have asked you all the questions I can think of, Mr. Reynolds, at this point. But...if you can think of anything else that you want the Commission to know in connection with this whole thing, I want you to feel free to say what it is right now...

Mr. REYNOLDS. I don’t know of any. I think it should be investigated what happened to me.

Mr. LIEBELER. The Dallas Police Department did conduct an investigation of the attack on you.

Mr. REYNOLDS. But their investigation didn’t go too much past Garner. I mean they questioned a lot of people, but not anything of any importance. They have a little old bullet. I believe that is the only clue that they have.

Mr. LIEBELER. If you can’t think of anything else that you think we ought to know and I haven’t already asked you about, we can terminate the deposition at this point.

Mr. REYNOLDS. I would like to say something that might be important. About 3 weeks after I got out of the hospital, which would be around the 20th of February, my little 10-year-old daughter -- somebody tried to pick her up, tried to get her in a car. Now, again, whether that has any connection or not, I don’t know, but it did happen, and it never had happened before nor after. But they even offered her money. She was smart enough to run and get away.

Mr. LIEBELER. Have you seen any other indication that anybody has been following you or that anybody is watching you or anything like that?

Mr. REYNOLDS. Someone unscrewed my light bulb one night on the front porch of my house, and someone definitely did it. Whether it was a jokester or kid, but I have a lamp over the light. They had to take three screws loose to get to my light bulb. They took those off and unscrewed my light, and that is for sure. Now, that was around the 29th of February, too.

Mr. LIEBELER. That was after you had gotten out of the hospital?

Mr. REYNOLDS. Yes.

Mr. LIEBELER. Is there anything else that would lead you to think anybody has been looking for you or looking after you?

Mr. REYNOLDS. No.

Mr. LIEBELER. Thank you very much, Mr. Reynolds.

------------ END EXCERPT OF WARREN COMMISSION TESTIMONY BY WARREN REYNOLDS OF 7/22/1964 --------------------

Edited by Paul Trejo

Paul

Let me offer a third reason why Walker would refuse his pension. As a retired General in the US Military Walker would be considered a reserve officer subject to recall at any time into the military.....A retired General literally remains in the Military throughout their retirement. By resigning his commission and not accepting his pension Walker was not subject to this particular rule for generals.

It is illegal for the US Military to spy on US civilians.....interestingly Walker would not be subject to this particular rule.....at least not until his retirement was quietly restored many years later.

Just food for thought and a third idea to consider.

Jim Root

8:54 AM Anonymous said...

I have to presume that is all speculation on your part and it's interesting to compare it to the scenario laid down by Paul Trejo (this from link below,GAAL)

#############################
NOW SEE BELOW,Gaal

The Secret History of the National Enquirer - DuJour

• CIA, The National Enquirer and UFO's? Connected? - WAHM Forums ...
    www.wahm.com/.../161580-cia-national-enquirer-ufo-s-connected.html

CIA Origin of National Enquirer? ... of the CIA Psychological Warfare Division to
    appeal to the CIA for ... such as a National Enquirer tabloid.

===

The National Enquirer has a backstory worthy of the ... - Yahoo News

• news.yahoo.com/.../national-enquirer-dark-history-203859156.html

Jun 13, 2013 ... From Yahoo News: The National Enquirer, like the salacious stories it publishes
    ... But two subjects were strictly off-limits: the CIA and the Mafia

======

• Shocked! Shocked! National Enquirer Exposed - Cryptome
    cryptome.org/shock-shock.htm
    Aug 23, 2008 ... As the National Enquirer continues to muckrake into the love life of ... The CIA is
    created in 1947, and this secret agency devotes much of its ...
  • ============================================================
  • ============================================================
  • An empire built on gossip, gore and Elvis - Los Angeles Times
  • articles.latimes.com/2008/sep/04/entertainment/et-book4
    Sep 4, 2008 ... With the National Enquirer, he found his identity. ... an intelligence officer for the
    CIA, he purchased the New York Enquirer for $75,000 in 1952 ...

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
One can conclude that the Trejo theorem is disinforation that was torn = from the pages of the CIA controlled National Enquirer.

Edited by Steven Gaal

Paul

Let me offer a third reason why Walker would refuse his pension. As a retired General in the US Military Walker would be considered a reserve officer subject to recall at any time into the military.....A retired General literally remains in the Military throughout their retirement. By resigning his commission and not accepting his pension Walker was not subject to this particular rule for generals.

It is illegal for the US Military to spy on US civilians.....interestingly Walker would not be subject to this particular rule.....at least not until his retirement was quietly restored many years later.

Just food for thought and a third idea to consider.

Jim Root

A small correction: The U.S. military "spied on U.S. civilians" for decades. One collection of Military Intelligence Division reports is available on 34 microfilm reels. The finding aid is here: http://cisupa.proquest.com/ksc_assets/catalog/10838.pdf

One descriptive summary about this collection is here:

The U.S. Army's G-2 "negative" branch, Military Intelligence Division (M.I.D.), was established during World War I as a counter-propaganda and domestic intelligence agency. It tracked the activities of any organization which it perceived to be an opponent of the war effort. After the war, the branch remained in place and the surveillance continued. The M.I.D. cooperated with such civilian agencies as the Justice Department, the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and the Department of State.

AND

After United States entry into World War I, a number of official agencies began surveillance and persecution of organizations considered radical and "unpatriotic." This collection contains documents from the Military Intelligence Division of the Department of the Army (National Archives record group 165) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation that came out of that surveillance. Specifically, the materials refer to such organizations as the American Federation of Labor, the American Communist Party, the Industrial Workers of the World, the Congress of Industrial Organizations, the American Civil Liberties Union, the Socialist Party, and the Non-Partisan League. The material also contains reports on activities by both strikers and students, the Scottsboro Case, the Sacco-Vanzetti Case, and on radical individuals like John Reed, Bill Haywood, Emma Goldman, Marcus Garvey, Eugene Debs, and Clarence Darrow.

In addition, there is a huge FBI file (HQ 100-7660 which is 80,000 pages) which is devoted to archiving monthly issues of the publication "G-2 Domestic Intelligence Summary"

It is almost impossible to find an FBI file on any person or organization in our country (from the 1940's through 1960's) which does not have a G-2, ONI, or OSI report.

In fact, the reason that (in August 1958) the FBI came into possession of a copy of Robert Welch's book-length 1950's "private letter" regarding the Eisenhower Administration (i.e. The Politician) was because G-2 at Governor's Island, New York sent a copy of that manuscript to FBI-Boston and Boston then forwarded a copy to FBI-HQ.

G-2 obtained their copy through Master Specialist Helen Morrissey who had received her copy "on loan" from Robert Welch. Accompanying the manuscript which G-2 NY sent to FBI-Boston was a lengthy G-2 background report concerning Robert Welch and an analysis of Welch's arguments regarding Ike being a Communist traitor.

Similarly, almost every FBI field office report on virtually every person and organization and publication about which the FBI had any sort of interest - was routinely forwarded to their local G-2, ONI, OSI office.

Our military intelligence agencies destroyed most of their intelligence reports on individuals but copies of many of them remain in FBI files. In addition, the FBI's files on the father of American Military Intelligence (Maj. Gen. Ralph Van Deman) report the following:

From May 1917-June 1918, Van Deman was Chief of Army Intelligence, In September 1929 he retired from the U.S. Army after 38 years of service. In March 1937, Van Deman offered to turn over his intelligence files on subversive individuals and organizations to the FBI. FBI-San Diego frequently utilized Van Deman material as source of information in particular cases.

By 1951, Van Deman’s index consisted of 85,000 4x6 cards which were alphabetical by individual and organization name. Shortly after Van Deman died, the 115th CIC Detachment in San Diego was instructed to crate and ship Van Deman’s files to 6th Army HQ at the Presidio in San Francisco. (6th Army area covered 8 states = WA, OR, CA, ID, UT, NV, AZ, MT). The files arrived in San Francisco on 2/4/52.

At some point, a portion of Van Deman’s data collection was given to US Senate Internal Security Subcommittee (perhaps 1952) and remainder of his files were given to San Diego Research Library – which was founded in May 1952. Its President was Maj. George W. Fisher (San Diego) and the Executive VP and Library Director was Colonel Frank G. Forward (La Jolla CA) who previously was Commander of Counterintelligence for the California National Guard Reserve. In 2/62 Van Deman’s files were confiscated by the State of California on the basis that they were California state property housed at a California State facility. Maj. Fisher filed a lawsuit to reclaim possession of the files.

So, in short, a lot of information on "U.S. civilians" which was the product of U.S. military intelligence spying has been merged into the files of private organizations. Another interesting example (apart from Van Deman) is what happened to "countersubversive" data compiled by Harry A. Jung (Chicago) -- and how it was shared with military intelligence agencies.

Ernie-

And during the depression the US Army was in charge of processing the CCC workers......Walker played a roll in processing 10's of thousands of young men. He would do the same thing again in Norway at the end of WWII when he processed not only German's who had surrendered but also Russian and Eastern European POW's that were held by the Germans prior to being repatriated. At the end of the Korean War Walker would be in charge of processing Chinese and North Korean POW's.

Jim Root

PS Wasn't it in the late 1960's or early 70's that the US Army destroyed lots of records collected from their domestic spying?

Ernie-

And during the depression the US Army was in charge of processing the CCC workers......Walker played a roll in processing 10's of thousands of young men. He would do the same thing again in Norway at the end of WWII when he processed not only German's who had surrendered but also Russian and Eastern European POW's that were held by the Germans prior to being repatriated. At the end of the Korean War Walker would be in charge of processing Chinese and North Korean POW's.

Jim Root

PS Wasn't it in the late 1960's or early 70's that the US Army destroyed lots of records collected from their domestic spying?

I'm not sure about the exact date but I think the general consensus is that by 1972, military intelligence files on civilians had been destroyed. The specific answer regarding a date might be in: Negative Intelligence: The Army and the American Left by Roy Talbert Jr. (University Press of MS, 2008)

This also gives some general idea about records-destruction practices which indicates that 1971-1972 was probably the likely period for destruction of files -- particularly for files on civilians not connected to the Defense Department.

http://www.jfklancer.com/RobertJones.html

1. Dossier AB 652876, Oswald, Lee Harvey, was identified

for deletion from IRR (Intelligence Records and Reports)

holdings on Julian date 73060 (1 March 1973) as stamped on

the microfilmed dossier cover. It is not possible to determine

the actual date when physical destruction was accomplished,

but is credibly surmised that the destruction was accom-

plished within a period not greater than 60 days following the

identification for deletion. Evidence such as the type of dele-

tion record available, the individual clerk involved in the

identification, and the projects in progress at the time of dele-

tion, all indicate the dossier deletion resulted from the imple-

mentation of a Department of the Army, Adjutant General

letter dated 1 June 1971, subject: Acquisition of Information

Concerning Persons and Organizations not Affiliated with the