The Education Forum

Oswald - the Imperfect Patsy

Tony Krome

On 1/28/2019 at 7:42 AM, Jim Hargrove said:

With his trip to Russia, staged FPCC activities, and commie-loving history going all the way back to the Marine Corps, it was easy to paint the Russian-speaking Oswald as a commie with ties to Castro. The main object of the assassination was probably to provoke an invasion of Cuba, which LBJ may have prevented by ordering the cover-up.

Oswald’s ties to both the FBI and the CIA made G-men, especially J. Edgar Hoover, all too happy to enter full scale cover-up mode.

Russian-speaking Oswald had demonstrated that he would follow even difficult orders, critical in the days and hours before and immediately after the assassination. (He absolutely had to be in the right places at the right times to become a successful patsy.  And a patsy was absolutely critical for the plot to succeed.  Without one, the search for the plotters would have been relentless.)

The “Harvey and Lee” project  made it simple to send around a fellow who looked like Russian-speaking Oswald in the weeks prior to the hit to set him up as the assassin-to-be.  For example….

• The Sports Drome Rifle Range on Oct. 26, Nov. 9, Nov. 10, and again on Nov. 17, several times creating a scene and once shooting at another guy's target;
  • Morgan's Gun Shop in Fort Worth on Nov 2.
  • The Downtown Lincoln Mercury dealership also on Nov. 2 where he test drove a car at wrecklessly high speeds saying he would soon come into enough money to buy a new car.
  • The Irving Furniture Mart On Nov. 6 or 7 for a gun part where he was referred to the shop where Dial Ryder worked.
  • The Southland Hotel parking garage (Allright Parking Systems) on Nov. 15 to apply for a job and oh-so-subtly ask how high the Southland Building was and if it had a good view of downtown Dallas.
  • Hitchhiking on Nov. 20 on the R.L. Thornton Expressway while carrying a 4-foot long package wrapped in brown paper and introducing himself to Ralph Yates as “Lee Harvey Oswald.” He discussed the President's visit, wondered if you could shoot a president, and asked to be dropped across the street from the Texas School Book Depository (where Russian-speaking “Lee Harvey Oswald” was already at work).
  • The 1973 motion picture “Executive Action” with Burt Lancaster and Robert Ryan does a great job showing how an “Oswald” look-alike traveled around Dallas in the weeks before the assassination doing many of the things listed above. 

Jim,

Of course the irony of that list is that none of the “incidents” could be attributed to “Oswald” by the Warren Commission even though they really happened!

Furthermore, that list has actually backfired on the conspirators because it has allowed us to prove “Oswald” was impersonated before 11/22/63!

Tony, I think the original plan to frame “Oswald” included killing him almost immediately after the assassination. A dead “Oswald” was much easier to frame than a living, protesting patsy. You are right that the frame was imperfect, but as I noted elsewhere, the most important thing for the conspirators was to have a clean getaway for the two men on the sixth floor of the TSBD.

I believe that the original plan called for a dead “Oswald” and an arrested (or dead) Frazier.

That is why the frame - up was bad: they didn’t think it would matter!

5 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Pamela,

This sounds like the guy who showed a Texas Driver's License to Fred Moore when he wanted to buy a couple of beers at the Jiffy Store.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=95645&search="Fred_Moore"#relPageId=125&tab=page

Steve Thomas

Could be...

5 hours ago, John Kozlowski said:

When Oswald was in Russia during 1961 someone was using his name to buy Jeeps. I'm assuming that was tied to Bannister's operation in NO. Do you know if an Oswald ID was produced then?

I would agree that I think there was an LHO impostor in USSR at the same time as LHO.  Marguerite even alluded to that possibility. What documentation is there that there is a connection to Bannister?

7 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

I would agree that I think there was an LHO impostor in USSR at the same time as LHO.  Marguerite even alluded to that possibility. What documentation is there that there is a connection to Bannister?

I wasnt talking about an imposter in Russia. His name was allegedly used in NO while he was in Russia. With Bannister being involved in the Cuban operations going on there I'd assume he was involved 

10 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

I would agree that I think there was an LHO impostor in USSR at the same time as LHO.  Marguerite even alluded to that possibility.

Pamela,

Your suggestion led me to ask, in my own mind, if LHO's letters from Russia to Marguerite were consistent over the years, and with each other.

In asking myself that question, I happened to stumble on this site:

It doesn't answer my question. I'm just including it here for curiosity's sake. I hadn't seen this before.

Marguerite Oswald Reads Lee Harvey Oswald's Letters from Russia

Smithsonian Folkways Recordings

https://folkways.si.edu/the-oswald-case-mrs-marguerite-oswald-reads-lee-harvey-oswalds-letters-from-russia/american-history-oral-history-biography/album/smithsonian

Steve Thomas

15 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Pamela,

Your suggestion led me to ask, in my own mind, if LHO's letters from Russia to Marguerite were consistent over the years, and with each other.

In asking myself that question, I happened to stumble on this site:

It doesn't answer my question. I'm just including it here for curiosity's sake. I hadn't seen this before.

Marguerite Oswald Reads Lee Harvey Oswald's Letters from Russia

Smithsonian Folkways Recordings

https://folkways.si.edu/the-oswald-case-mrs-marguerite-oswald-reads-lee-harvey-oswalds-letters-from-russia/american-history-oral-history-biography/album/smithsonian

Steve Thomas

Very interesting, Steve.  Thank you.  I will check this out.

On 2/24/2019 at 6:18 PM, John Kozlowski said:

I wasnt talking about an imposter in Russia. His name was allegedly used in NO while he was in Russia. With Bannister being involved in the Cuban operations going on there I'd assume he was involved 

Really? Is there a cite for this?  Odd...

21 hours ago, John Kozlowski said:

It's from Garrisons book.

Screenshot_20190225-222012_Chrome.jpg

Thank you!

1 hour ago, John Kozlowski said:

You're welcome. While I strongly believe he was being impersonated all over I'm not a big proponent of Armstrongs two Oswalds theory.  Makes you kind of second guess it though if this was going on in 1961.

I am not a proponent of Armstrong's theory either. However, it has yet to be thoroughly explained, imo, why there were people impersonating lHO at almost every turn along the way.  LHO was even exhumed in order to try to account for the possibility of more than one LHO.  So I do appreciate the fact that Armstrong tackled this in his own way.