The Education Forum

Carmine Savastano on Mike Swanson's show: Richard Case Nagell can be easily disproven.

I do have a copy of the updated version John, to me the most interesting part was Dick's further exploration of Henry Hecksher and his likely association with Nagell, in Japan and in Mexico City.  I focused in on that so much that I'll have to check the book for what else might be new...   At the time I don't think Dick even had the confirmation we now have that Hecksher did indeed go on special assignment to Mexico City during the missile crisis period in fall 62, which does put him there exactly when Nagell said he ran into BOP in Mexico City (presumably Nagell in his typical fashion was using Bob as a reference to Berlin Operating Base, Hecksher's first CIA assignment.

What Dick also did not have available to him is the history on Hecksher's role in the Cuba Project and of course in AMWORLD....something several of us are following in our research on the Wheaton names.

Which of course takes me back to the most substantive part of the Nagell story that I feel relates to the conspiracy,  the approach by Cuban exiles to Oswald in New Orleans and their apparent (and abortive) effort to bring him into some unspecified activity in Washington DC in September.  A precursor to the conspiracy which jelled only after Nagell left the story and ended up in jail.

I'm glad you are enjoying the two books, if you have questions or want to chat feel free to email me at larryjoe@westok.net

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/4/2019 at 10:17 AM, David Andrews said:

This was more worthwhile than I thought.  Nagell's only in the second half, and the dialogue is Texas-loquacious as all hell, but sometimes review of a subject by others points you to things you'd overlooked.

It's a good podcast for sure. I've been listening to it for a few years and listen to Chuck Ochelli and Len Osanic's show as well. They always have good researchers on with them.

Another underrated one I like is Night Fright. Mr. DiEugenio has been on a few times himself. Not sure new episodes have been made lately but there are quite a few on JFK,RFK and MLK.

I dont always agree with everything they say but like you said it's good hearing other peoples points of view. Personally I dont know many people interested in the subject so these podcasts really come in handy for me.

1 hour ago, Larry Hancock said:

I do have a copy of the updated version John, to me the most interesting part was Dick's further exploration of Henry Hecksher and his likely association with Nagell, in Japan and in Mexico City.  I focused in on that so much that I'll have to check the book for what else might be new...   At the time I don't think Dick even had the confirmation we now have that Hecksher did indeed go on special assignment to Mexico City during the missile crisis period in fall 62, which does put him there exactly when Nagell said he ran into BOP in Mexico City (presumably Nagell in his typical fashion was using Bob as a reference to Berlin Operating Base, Hecksher's first CIA assignment.

What Dick also did not have available to him is the history on Hecksher's role in the Cuba Project and of course in AMWORLD....something several of us are following in our research on the Wheaton names.

Which of course takes me back to the most substantive part of the Nagell story that I feel relates to the conspiracy,  the approach by Cuban exiles to Oswald in New Orleans and their apparent (and abortive) effort to bring him into some unspecified activity in Washington DC in September.  A precursor to the conspiracy which jelled only after Nagell left the story and ended up in jail.

I'm glad you are enjoying the two books, if you have questions or want to chat feel free to email me at larryjoe@westok.net

Thanks Larry.  Was it Hecksher who used the alias Robert Graham and if so has that found to be true? I think it was in Russell's On the trail where I read that. It's been a while since I've read it so I'm a little foggy.

The pseudo assigned to Hecksher was Nelson L. Raynock,  my friends Bill Simpich and David Boylan are working the crypts and alias beat for a number of persons of interest (we are getting them up at Mary Ferrell as quickly as possible) and would be in a better position to comment on Robert Graham. 

I checked with David and he confirms Nelson Raynock, Henry Boysen and James Beckhoff as names associated with Hecksher.

Edited by Larry Hancock

I can take the side of the critics also: the more yuk-yuk humor, spook-show mannerisms, annoying rock songs, and crushing synthesizer theme music, the less I trust a podcast or care to sit through it.  Dallas Action has just enough substance to overcome its faults.  Just.

It's like Car Talk on NPR - some people tune in for the over-the-top comedy; others (me) get turned off, and turn it off.  And God knows I hold no brief against comedy.

Edited by David Andrews

This (the Dallas Action podcast) is the first time I've heard speculation that Nagell fired shots in the bank as a result of being ordered to do so rather than as a result of his own planning. Not sure what to make of that. Any feedback / opinions would be appreciated.

Edited by Rob Couteau

On 2/14/2019 at 10:27 PM, Larry Hancock said:

the most substantive part of the Nagell story that I feel relates to the conspiracy,  the approach by Cuban exiles to Oswald in New Orleans and their apparent (and abortive) effort to bring him into some unspecified activity in Washington DC in September.  A precursor to the conspiracy which jelled only after Nagell left the story and ended up in jail.

Really interesting! Thanks, Larry.

Having immersed myself in the Nagell story for years (and having carried Dick's huge book on airplanes so I could reread it maybe 20 times during business travel...sigh) I'll go ahead and give an opinion...   My cut is that Nagell did encounter Cubans talking about revenge against Kennedy while in MC in the fall, he was not there for that but rather doing something entirely different related to the US embassy at the time.  He also crossed paths with Hecksher who was in Mexico City but none of that is relevant to Dallas other than it did bring him in contact with with Oswald again some months later. And yes Nagell had known both Oswald and Hecksher in Tokyo, again not directly relevant to Dallas. Oswald became known to so many people of interest that becomes a diversion in and of itself.

In the summer of 1963 Nagell was in Miami and he was circling through the exile community and he did end up following leads about threats to JFK and then traveling to New Orleans. In New Orleans he did see Oswald in contact with exiles of various stripes including at least two misrepresenting themselves and talking to Oswald about some action in the Washington DC area...confirmed by Oswald's letters to SWP and CPUSA about a move.  Nagell may indeed have reported that to the FBI - what is certain is that within 24 hours of the assassination some of the first questions the FBI asked Marina were about Oswald's travel to Mexico City and to Washington DC.

Nagell got spotted in Mexico City, probably by guys who had seen him in Miami and he felt threatened and he ran....as he had in Florida for a time.  From that point on his actions were his own, he was literally on the run; I don't see how he could have come into any further knowledge about the conspiracy or about plans for Dallas - which I personally don't think began to jell until after whatever was planned for Washington aborted i.e. in October.  I view Nagell as another, independent, source of threats against JFK jelling within the Cuban exile community, specifically in Miami and among Cubans traveling to and from New Orleans and much later - in October/November - to Dallas.

-- that's my take, since developing that opinion my main interest has been in researching who those people would have been, who their associates were and who might have brought them and/or their associates into the actual attack in Dallas.

I did get the second edition but I was focused on Hecksher because Dick and I had worked that lead...so I didn't pick up on any story about Nagell taking a boat trip to meet Raul..let me know where it is when you have time.  About all I can say that is factually proven about his time in MC is that he did visit the US embassy, he did tell them he was prepared to renounce the US and prepared to provide information to a foreign power.  The documents exist on that...but amazingly it appears that there was no action taken at all on him even though they verified his military intelligence background.  It seems a shocking failure unless it was some sort of a test or dangle.  Very similar to Oswald in the USSR.  Its also totally inconsistent with how tightly the FBI was being called in to investigate Americans who appeared to be contacting the Cubans or Russians in MC.

Was this something new in the second Russell book or had he mentioned it earlier? Certainly its something Dick has never discussed with me in our exchanges on Nagell.    On the other hand I have constantly said that Nagell's remarks were situational so it would make a lot of difference as to where and when he told that to Dick, will certainly take a look at it when you get back - and I can always ask Dick himself for an elaboration. 

• 2 months later...