The Education Forum

Lumpkin, Gannaway, and the DPD-Army Intelligence network

Finally, I am borrowing Steve Thomas' post from elsewhere to show that by 12:49 pm on 11/22...

After the assassination, George Lumpkin returned to the TSBD and took command there.

DPD Archives Box 14, Folder# 4, Item# 10 page 22.

It was Kaminsky who Deputy Chief Lumpkin had positioned at the front door of the TSBD.

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box14.htm

image.png.08addecf24fd2c11927c27caba92e2b1.png

image.png.536b54b84572a0c033703b3e7bb18db4.png

This matches exactly what Postal Inspector, Harry Holmes wrote in his Report of Oswald's interrogation on Sunday, November 24th.

See Warren Report, Appendix XI page 636

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=946#relPageId=660&tab=page

image.png.c325f90f626d58b6c42a06246aa9d167.png

According to the Dispatch Tapes, George Lumpkin had arrived at the TSBD by 12:49 PM

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/

15 (Captain C.E. Talbert): “15 is at the scene. We... the building's the Old Purse Company on the east side of Houston. Somebody cut off the back side, will you? Make sure nobody leaves there.”

Dispatcher: “10-4, 15”

15: “15's in charge down here. Correction 5's (Deputy Chief Lumpkin) in charge.”

(It appears that Talbert had the wrong building in mind).

DPD Archives, Box 2, Folder# 7, Item# 28

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box2.htm

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Bill Simpich said:

Bill,

So did Dennis Ofstein, who worked with LHO at Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall:

DENNIS HYMAN OFSTEIN

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/ofstein.htm

Mr. OFSTEIN. I was in the Army, sir.
Mr. JENNER And when did you go in and when were you discharged?
Mr. OFSTEIN. I went in in August, I believe, in 1957, and I was discharged November 1960.

Mr. JENNER Did you take any work in the language school out in California at Monterey?
Mr. OFSTEIN. Yes, sir.
Mr. JENNER. What language did you study there?
Mr. OFSTEIN. Russian.
Mr. JENNER Tell me how that came about?
Mr. OFSTEIN Well, when I went in the service I was interested in radio--I was a disc jockey at the time, and the closest thing my recruiting sergeant said that I could get to radio would be possibly with the Army security agency, so I signed up, and after basic training I went to Fort Devens, Mass., and was held there on a temporary status while the agency determined what type training I should have, and I was given a language ability test and passed that and had a choice of three languages to take, and Russian was my first choice and I was sent to Monterey to study.

Steve Thomas

8 hours ago, Bill Simpich said:

Thanks for the ACSI Colonels article.  I think the most cogent section is this:

"The headquarters of the Special Services unit was not at City Hall, but at the Dallas Fair Grounds, where Crichton’s underground Emergency Command and Communications bunker was also located. Pat Gannaway, the head of the unit, was also a Army Reserve officer, as were most of his men.

In that vein...

Take a look at this write-up of the Dallas Civil Defense Emergency Operations Center in Fair Park?  It was linked to national, state and local authorities.  

Chief Pat Gannaway's Special Service Division was based in Fair Park, and also linked to these same authorities. 

Bill,

Look who's names are on this Emergency Operating Center 1961 dedication. I learned just the other day that both John Mayo and Boise Smith were also Colonels in the U.S. Army Reserves:

1231087888_Fairparkdedication.thumb.jpg.dcf9b7f9de07b84d3051ce685b891167.jpg

See this statement by Mayo decrying the artists being displayed at the Art Museum

http://washingtonbabylon.com/bunker-command-center-jfk-assassination-merely-worlds-interesting-basement/

"In March of 1955, Col. John W. Mayo, commander of the Dallas Metropolitan Post No. 581 of the American Legion, sent a communication to the Trustees of the Art Museum decrying many of the Museum’s policies and saying that the Post objected ‘to the Museum patronizing and supporting artists … whose political beliefs are dedicated to destroying our way of life."

In this same website, it says, " An online exhibit by the Dallas City Hall provides the following historical summary of WRR, the station-of-choice for Dallas-Fort Worth highbrows since 1964, when it switched to an all classical format. Until the departments had their own internal support, WRR supplied and maintained all radio equipment for Police, Fire, Park and Recreation, Water, Public Works, and the former Health Department. At its peak it furnished dispatching services for Dallas County, Cockrell Hill Police Department, and private ambulance services (in the days before 911). WRR discontinued these adjunct services in 1969."

Then, there is this:

Stringfellow and Biggio were working the police radio at the Fairgrounds on 11/22/63

Army Apparently didn't tell Commission of Oswald's Alias”

Dallas Morning News March 19, 1978

in the Weisberg Collection

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/F%20Disk/FBI/FBI%20Records%20Release%2012-7-77%20News%20Accounts/Item%20069.pdf

However, (Bill) Biggio, who was directing police intelligence communications at the Fair Park office the day of the assassination...,” Former Dallas police Capt. W. P. Gannaway, who commanded the special service bureau in which Biggio worked, said if Army intelligence in San Antonio or Dallas "had any information pertaining to Oswald, we didn't know about it." “Don Stringfellow, a fellow police intelligence officer working with Biggio at the Fair Park office, was named as the source of information in a secret cable the night of Nov. 22 from Army intelligence in Texas to the U.S. Strike Command at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida. The cable said that information "obtained from Oswald revealed that he had defected to Cuba in 1959 and is a card-carrying member of the Communist Party." THIS CABLE, containing false information, was sent to an Army-Air Force operation set up three years earlier to provide a quick-reacting strike force in case of enemy attack. “

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

I looked up FBI National Academy. Started in 1935, still ongoing, 10 week training for law enforcement professionals. Apparently it’s not FBI recruitment. It is interesting that Curry, Gannaway, Westbrook, Lumpkin all attended at the same time, considering the key roles they played on Nov 22, 1963. The latter 3 were all members of Crichton’s 488th. I say that without being able to prove it. Steve Thomas has pointed out that Crichton was a Colonel, and as such it doesn’t make sense he would be the leader of a MID. But what makes the 488th interesting to me is it’s possible connection to ACSI and the newly created DIA. It was a Reserve Unit, not active, and I hope I’m correct when I say the 112th was active duty. Perhaps the missing General is in DC in charge of ACSI.

To what extent can one trust info found in Find a Grave?

I still think Frank M Brandstetter is the key to understanding the 488th. Unlike the DPD members, Brandy has an extensive bio, and I highly recommend reading the two books about him. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

2 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve Thomas has pointed out that Crichton was a Colonel, and as such it doesn’t make sense he would be the leader of a MID.

Paul,

Someone who is in a position to know has told me that the Heads of 90% of MID's were Colonels.

They were very "staff heavy", with very few support staff like clerks and such. Some did have Top Sergeants, or Sergeant Majors.

Steve Thomas

3 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve Thomas has pointed out that Crichton was a Colonel, and as such it doesn’t make sense he would be the leader of a MID.

Paul,

Army Regulation 135-382

Section 5.3(e). Officers selected to command area studies MID(S) must also--

(1) Be an MI Branch qualified colonel or lieutenant colonel.

Steve Thomas

4 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Paul,

Army Regulation 135-382

Section 5.3(e). Officers selected to command area studies MID(S) must also--

(1) Be an MI Branch qualified colonel or lieutenant colonel.

Steve Thomas

Thanks Steve - must have misremembered something you posted.

While digging for Crichton online I found a diary entry written by then Major Jack A Crichton, an Intelligence Officer in 1944-45 with the 487th Bomb Group operating out of a RAF base in Honington, England. Curious - possibly why he chose 488 for his Dallas MID. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

15 hours ago, B. A. Copeland said:

Bill was it Kaminsky who noted LHO’s name early on the list of cleared employees (to exit) or do we know?

Don't know much about Kaminsky, sorry.   Can anyone else address this question?  

7 hours ago, Bill Simpich said:

Don't know much about Kaminsky, sorry.   Can anyone else address this question?  

Bill,

Erich Kaminsky was a Lieutenant serving in the Special Service Bureau under Captain Gannaway. You might be interested in this Forum thread:

"Where was Bob Carroll?"

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/24568-where-was-bob-carroll/?tab=comments#comment-367998

Steve Thomas

4 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Bill,

I meant to ask B.A. what list he was referring to.

Steve Thomas

Hey Steve. I was asking about the list posted by Paul:

Thanks a ton for the thread referral (and thank you as well Paul for your response earlier). Hey Bill, definitely take a look at Steve’s ‘Bob Carroll’ thread:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/24568-where-was-bob-carroll/?tab=comments#comment-367998

Ive read that Kaminsky noted (and cleared) TSBD personnel exiting the bldg. I’ve also read before that LHO’s name was at the top of that list...

Edited by B. A. Copeland