The Education Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bart Kamp

Lee Harvey Oswald's Social Security No.

Deleted

Edited by Rich Pope

dont see the relevance. SS numbers are issued based on post office locations. two people filing same day from same PO would likely have consecutive or close #s. but if filed from different POs, might not be close....

3 hours ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

dont see the relevance. SS numbers are issued based on post office locations. two people filing same day from same PO would likely have consecutive or close #s. but if filed from different POs, might not be close....

Please educate me, as an EU citizen who has probably missed something then. How can someone in 1955 get a lower no. when someone else applied in 1954 can have a higher no. all inside the same state. I find the whole allocation a tad confusing.

THX

I guess there's a method to their madness but I don't understand it.  Just glancing at the sheet the concentration of birth dates seemed odd.  The great majority of them coming from the 1890's to early 1900's. Only one from the 1920's (1921) and one from the 1940's (1940).  But eight from the 1930's including Oswald, at age 16.  Why so many 50-60 year old's getting a number?  Approaching retirement age?  But if they didn't already have one, not already contributing to the system under it, could they draw anything?

A web search tells me they started issuing SS #'s in November 1935, 25 million in 3 months.

It may well all mean nothing but Oswald being the only one on the page getting his in 1955, with all the rest in 1954 seems odd.

Edited by Ron Bulman

This comes from the H.L. files and he got it from from Canadian researcher Peter Whitmey who did a lot of research on this.

So Larry Schnapf do you have anything to add?

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I guess there's a method to their madness but I don't understand it.  Just glancing at the sheet the concentration of birth dates seemed odd.  The great majority of them coming from the 1890's to early 1900's. Only one from the 1920's (1921) and one from the 1940's (1940).  But eight from the 1930's including Oswald, at age 16.  Why so many 50-60 year old's getting a number?  Approaching retirement age?  But if they didn't already have one, not already contributing to the system under it, could they draw anything?

A web search tells me they started issuing SS #'s in November 1935, 25 million in 3 months.

It may well all mean nothing but Oswald being the only one on the page getting his in 1955, with all the rest in 1954 seems odd.

Yes Ron, it is odd to see " one" issue year date different than every other one on that entire list.

Guess it's just another oddity to add to the already huge stack of other's regards Oswald.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:19 PM, Lawrence Schnapf said:

Still waiting for a reply Lawrence Schnapf.

Thank you.