The Education Forum

Is James McCord Dead?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I looked it up at the site Stephanie recommended.

It looks like its him since that description matches also, including his WW 2 career.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Deaths going immediately unreported seems to be happening more and more. Recent examples include the Thursday, March 7 announcement of the death of actor Jan Michael Vincent on Feb 10, and the announcement just before Christmas that Sondra Locke had died in early November. Must be a thing now.

I think this was successful for the reason that very few people knew he had moved and where he had moved to.

Plus, Annville is really a small town.

That is our MSM.  Jim DiEugenio is going to write the first obituary for James McCord, who died almost two years ago.

2 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

The MSM wants the story to begin and end with two intrepid newspapermen (no CIA here). 

Yes, the MSM did want no CIA in the Watergate story because they were spinning it for / part of Operation Mockingbird.  I.E., Woodward and Bernstein equals Nixon.  Even if the Plumbers were Nixon's, they were still CIA.  Who were they most loyal to?  

Just remember one important point, which was first revealed by Jim Hougan is his excellent book on Watergate.

When McCord went to work for CREEP, he did not have Nixon's picture on the wall of his office.

He had Richard Helms'.  It was inscribed, "with deep affection". (Emphasis in original.)

So not only was Helms personally close to Hunt, he was the same with McCord.

Edited by James DiEugenio

41 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Yes, the MSM did want no CIA in the Watergate story because they were spinning it for / part of Operation Mockingbird.  I.E., Woodward and Bernstein equals Nixon.  Even if the Plumbers were Nixon's, they were still CIA.  Who were they most loyal to?  

Bob Woodward -- the voice of "Deep Throat"-- went to Yale and served in U.S. Naval Intelligence before being hired by Ben Bradlee at the Washington Post.    Then, as I recall, Carl Bernstein conveniently omitted any references to the Washington Post in his well-known article about the CIA and the U.S. media, (published by Rolling Stone during the Church Committee investigations.)

As for McCord hanging a picture of Richard Helms on the wall of his CREEP office-- it strikes me as an odd gesture.  Why would he have advertised his Company credentials?

(BTW, Roger Stone also worked for CREEP.)

I wonder if Mr. Caddy, the lawyer of the most famous CIA mole involved in the botched Watergate burglary, had any contact with McCord in the aftermath of that famous crime caper.

Thank you gentlemen.  I've not yet gotten too old to learn.  Never realized James McCord and Roger Stone were both members of CREEP.  The Committee to Re Elect the President in 1972.  

Makes this whole stone chump thing sound a little creepier itself. 

Jim Hougan's book on Watergate, Secret Agenda, was a game changer.

I not only would rank it the single most important book on that case, even today, but I would go beyond that and say that its one of the best pieces of investigative journalism in the last forty years.

His opening chapter "Of Hunt and McCord" and his chapter on the final break in were redefining.

I will be discussing his book in the article.

I brought that in because that is what Marchetti told me about Phillips and the ARIO.

Well, if you read Hougan the same thing applies to Hunt and McCord with Watergate. They weren't really retired form the CIA.