The Education Forum

Burying the Lead by Mal Hyman

Michel LeFlem reviews Mal Hyman's book on  the JFK assassination as portrayed  by the media.

Mal is a very nice guy who actually ran for congress in South Carolina as a liberal Democrat.  He had been working on this book for a very long time.  Has a lot of interesting information in it that I had not seen before.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-reviews/mal-hyman-burying-the-lead-the-media-and-the-jfk-assassination?fbclid=IwAR36iu7IY2SE32wYjlBVOEFGdHbHz0Jk0SeNcrV-huEhoJVqq788IdgW8X4

Welcome Rob.

Mike is good is he not?

If I ever told you how he came to us you would not believe it.

But we are glad to have him.

Just from the first sixty pages one of the many informative (to me) bits of information from page 59.  

"Former Chief of Counterintelligence James Angleton "ran a completely independent group of journalist operatives who performed sensitive and frequently dangerous assignments; little is known about the group".  The CIA even ran a formal training program to teach agents to be journalists".  (Church Committee) 

So Angleton dealt with the owners, directors and maybe a few trusted experienced exclusive reporters on sensitive issues?  Above and beyond or within Mockingbird?  With Dulles blessing.

The CIA taught agents to be journalists? 

Yes, I recall Lisa Pease writing about that program.

Angleton was  influential in the media, especially with the NY Times.

Can you imagine them trusting a nut like him?

Don't answer that.

50 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Yes, I recall Lisa Pease writing about that program.

Angleton was  influential in the media, especially with the NY Times.

Can you imagine them trusting a nut like him?

Don't answer that.

Jim,

Have you read Steven Kinzer's "The Brothers: John Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles and their secret world war"? According to Wiki, Kinzer  portrayed the NYT's James Reston  as "a key contact of former CIA chief Allen Dulles who had collaborated with the CIA in Operation Mockingbird, in which the agency sought to influence global reporting and journalism."

Was there another key CIA contact/asset/mouthpiece/shill at the NYT besides James Reston?

Donald Gibson pointed out years ago that James "Scotty" Reston at the New York Times was the first one in print to identify LHO as "a lone-nut communist" - this while "Oswald" was still alive! At that moment on Saturday, November 23, 1963, no one could be sure of anything about "Oswald's" connections or motivations, let alone whether he was actually guilty of murdering the president. Yet that did not stop the James Reston and the NYT from making the pronouncement that eventually became the "official" position - "Oswald" did it, he did it alone, and he did it because he was a "nut" (and maybe a communist "nut"!)

James Reston - just another S.O.B. who made his living misleading the American public.

Paul, I thought Don said it was Jock Whitney who came out with the first LHO as maladjusted sociopath story?

But that is interesting about Dulles and Reston.  Reston was such a slime for the CIA. What page of the book is that on?

Edited by James DiEugenio

Hyman educated me about Jock Whitney.  I'd read of him before being "pressed into service as a copy editor on 11/23/63 while publisher and editor in chief of the NY Herald Tribune".  In his "Shame of a Nation - History of Assassinations" editorial he wrote about the "climate that encourages the growth of homicidal fantasies... rumor mongering, the unbalanced charges of the lunatic fringe affects the real lunatics, the killers".  How prescient was he unintentionally, saying the real lunatics, the killerS?  Makes me think of Black Sabbath's War Pigs.

Pgs. 60-61.  "Whitney's were related through marriage to the Harriman's and the Vanderbilt's as well as to William Paley of CBS. … close to Nelson Rockefeller, Joseph Alsop... Frank Wisner and Allen Dulles...served a stint with corporate lawyer "Wild Bill" Donovan, director of the OSS. … By 1956 chairman of Freeport Sulphur. … Tracy Barnes was the son of Jock Whitney's second cousin, and they became friends while attending the Army air Corp intelligence school... along with Richard Mellon Scaife cooperated with a range of CIA media sources.  … Jock Whitney was also closely associated with Katherine Graham of the Washington Post, and Graham held a 45% share of the NY Herald Tribune stock, with an option for 5% more upon Whitney's death."

Someone has probably written a book about the Inbred East Coast Establishment Power Elite Georgetown Set.  They killed JFK, covered it up with the press they owned, and gave us Vietnam.  They also owned the generals and gave them free reign, in essence they were the generals.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=black+sabbath+war+pigs&form=PRUSEN&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=a9fadd56893a4fbfb0862c6baad00b2a&sp=2&ghc=1&qs=AS&pq=black+sabbath+war+pigs&sc=8-22&cvid=a9fadd56893a4fbfb0862c6baad00b2a

Ron, do not leave out my favorite part about JFK and Jock Whitney.

Whitney was Eisenhower's ambassador to  the UK.

After JFK won the election he sent Whitney what was probably the tersest telegram in history of the diplomat corps. Three words:

Jock,

Pack.

Jack

13 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Paul, I thought Don said it was Jock Whitney who came out with the first LHO as maladjusted sociopath story?

But that is interesting about Dulles and Reston.  Reston was such a slime for the CIA. What page of the book is that on?

Jim,

Beginning on page 24 of '"The Kennedy Assassination Cover-Up Revisited", Don Gibson's section entitled "The Media Solves The Case From Afar" has an extended discussion of the NYT's role in shaping/creating the narrative. On November 23 (while "Oswald" was still very much alive and - presumably - awaiting trial) the NYT's Tom Wicker used the phrase  "THE assassin" or "THE sniper" or "THE killer"  (emphasis mine) five times in his front page description of the shooting. 

Even better, as Gibson noted about James "Scotty" Reston's page one story (remember, this is less than 24 hours later - nobody knows anything at this moment! The backyard photos haven't even been "discovered" yet! The "prints" on the rifle have yet to be identified! Hoover is telling LBJ at that very moment that there was a second man down in Mexico City!  etc. etc. etc.!) "Reston not only has it down to one person, but he is already offering up a diagnosis with what was wrong with this individual. This is truly impressive, especially since those in Dallas close to the investigation were saying explicitly that they thought Oswald was quite sane."

I love Gibson's sardonic, understated tone: "This performance did not seem to hurt Reston's career. He was promoted to associate editor in 1964 and then to executive editor in 1968. Reston brought Tom Wicker to New York as an associate editor."

After reading the excellent review of Mal Hymen's book in "Kennedys and King", I am going to buy it.

But I strongly urge every single reader here to read Donald Gibson's works, either "The Kennedy Assassination Cover-Up" or "The Kennedy Cover-Up Revisited".  Here is the relevant section:

https://books.google.com/books?id=7n_sF3PSvSAC&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=a+second+page+one+story+entitled+"why+america+weeps"&source=bl&ots=h5fg9VkX7Y&sig=ACfU3U0cedsh0gp-7L_AUvb5SYCbw91tEQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi65uO0u5PiAhVROq0KHWgrDUMQ6AEwAXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=a second page one story entitled "why america weeps"&f=false

Here's the original NYT article from James "CIA shill" Reston from 11/23/63. The first paragraph set the tone . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/1963/11/23/why-america-weeps-kennedy-victim-of-violent-streak-he-sought-to-curb-in-the-nation.html

Edited by Paul Jolliffe

I agree about Don Gibson.  His work was really unique.

When you say The Kennedy Assassination Cover Up Revisited , are you referring to the second edition of that book?

8 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

I agree about Don Gibson.  His work was really unique.

When you say The Kennedy Assassination Cover Up Revisited , are you referring to the second edition of that book?

I presume it is. It was published in 2005. I have this on the table beside me at this moment:

https://www.amazon.com/Kennedy-Assassination-Cover-up-Revisited/dp/1594546444

The most recent (2014) edition of Gibson's book is this one. A nicer cover I think.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1615779639/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

And a Kindle version of Gibson's book is here, really cheap. It's basically the cost of a cup of coffee.

https://www.amazon.com/Kennedy-Assassination-Cover-Up-Donald-Gibson-ebook/dp/B01LWVGI0J/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Anyone wanting that new edition of Gibson's book should grab it sooner rather than later. I've just noticed that the same publisher's reprint of BATTLING WALL STREET, which came out the same year, is now only available from secondhand buyers, so the COVER UP book might go the same way eventually too.

Battling Wall Street made me think of Dillon.  Which makes me think of Agent Ready starting to step off the right running board of the SS follow up car at the sound of shots but being called back.  The head of the Secret Service was ultimately the Secretary of the Treasury, a CFR executive associate of Dulles.  My thinking on this has been dismissed before.  Just food for thought.

https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKdillonD.htm

On 5/12/2019 at 7:21 PM, Anthony Thorne said:

The most recent (2014) edition of Gibson's book is this one. A nicer cover I think.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1615779639/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

And a Kindle version of Gibson's book is here, really cheap. It's basically the cost of a cup of coffee.

https://www.amazon.com/Kennedy-Assassination-Cover-Up-Donald-Gibson-ebook/dp/B01LWVGI0J/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Anyone wanting that new edition of Gibson's book should grab it sooner rather than later. I've just noticed that the same publisher's reprint of BATTLING WALL STREET, which came out the same year, is now only available from secondhand buyers, so the COVER UP book might go the same way eventually too.

I've got Battling Wall Street, very enlightening to me.  I think some of the chapter titles in this one are too intriguing to pass up.  The McCloy Dulles Commission, The Coverup Was an Establishment Project, Long and Kennedy, From Huey Long to Clay Shaw, Internationalism, Establishment Radicals.

Thanks for the tip.