The Education Forum

CIA report 104-40

Rich Negrete

Greetings. This is my first day and my first post. I saw there were 6 entries here under "New Questions" with zero replies! Oh well, I guess I'll give it a shot.

My question is in regards to a CIA memo which I have seen many references to. I have read of it in both John S. Craigs article 'The Guns of Dealey Plaza" and Henry Hurt's book "Reasonable Doubt", pg. 102. John S. Craig seems to quote from it verbatim...employed in this criminal attack is a model 91 rifle, 7.35 caliber, 1938 modification...the description of a Mannlicher Carcano rifle in the Italian and foreign press is in error. It was a Mauser."  

Both Craig and Hurt give the exact same source; WC XXIV, p. 829, 831/CIA report 104-40.  Now, to the best of my knowledge, WC XXIV for those pages has nothing to do with a CIA memo. And I can't seem to locate CIA memo 104-40, but that's not my strong point. (And I did reach out to two intrepid researchers first before being referred here) For such a compelling and oft-quoted memo, I would have thought it to be more accessible.

Any ideas out there? Thank you for your time and for allowing me to be a part of this forum.