The Education Forum

Follow the Money: "OSWALD and the FBI" by H. Feldman in The Nation magazine, January 27, 1964

The article is incredible considering the information in it, two month's after the assassination.  More informative in several respects than the Warren Omission with all their "resources" many month's later.

15 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Interesting VERY early article on Oswald in The Nation magazine that follows the money and seems to attempt to say that the FBI, rather than the CIA, was secretly financing him.

https://ratical.org/ratville/JFK/OswaldAndFBI.html

Interesting article. Thanks Jim.

There was one thing mentioned in the article that I'd never heard of. Quoting the article:

"Oswald’s apartment, too, was filled with fascinating things. Besides the batches of leaflets with the legend “Hands Off Cuba!” and bearing the unauthorized imprint of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee, police found several metal file boxes filled with names of Castro sympathizers. How did he manage, in so short a time, to compile so extensive a list?"

Does anybody know if it is true that these metal file boxes were found in Oswald's apartment? I'd never heard of this. It is reminiscent of the metal file boxes found in Ruth Paine's garage.

Sandy,

From Warren Commission Report, p. 666:

Speculation.--After Oswald's arrest, the police found in his room
seven metal file boxes filled with the names of Castro sympathizers.

Commission finding.--The Dallas police inventories of Oswald's
property taken from his room at 1026 North Beckley Avenue do not
include any file boxes. A number of small file boxes listed in the in-
ventory as having been taken from the Paine residence in Irving con-
tained letters, pictures, books and literature, most of which belonged
to Ruth Paine, not to Oswald. No lists of names of Castro sym-
pathizers were found among these effects.124

Endnotes 123 & 124:
123. 11
H 26 (J. Pic) CE 2206 see 1
251 (Marguerite Oswald) CE 2211, p.
618-6.
124. Ibid.

It was Hudkins who sucked this thing out of his thumb and spread that rumour to Wade and Alexander who took this "thing" all the way to Washington. A first rate fugezi.

Here's a bit on the Paine's files.  Those seven small ones LHO couldn't have carried with him hitchhiking from New Orleans to Dallas (as he told Ruth he did, she said).  The same ones she or Michael couldn't remember unloading when she got back from NO with Marina.

4 hours ago, Bart Kamp said:

It was Hudkins who sucked this thing out of his thumb and spread that rumour to Wade and Alexander who took this "thing" all the way to Washington. A first rate fugezi.

So we’ve been told.  Do you believe the Attorney General of Texas and the and District Attorney of Dallas called for a special meeting of the WC based solely on a news story by Lonnie Hudkins?  Texas is/was a big, rich state, and Dallas a big, rich city.  These guys were not rubes.

Feldman also sourced the Philadelphia Inquirer of 12/8/1963 in which a report by Joe Golden stated:

The FBI attempt to recruit Oswald as an informant, an informed law enforcement source said, was made in September, just after he had moved to Dallas from New Orleans. 

The same story is mentioned on page 15 of Portrait of the Assassin by Gerald Ford.

Anyway, FOLLOW THE MONEY!  Oswald didn’t make enough, according to existing records, to pay for his lifestyle, which wasn’t always as modest as it seemed.

OK.

So both Hudkins and Golden claimed their source was a government official in Dallas. Hudkins used a "Government official" (but not a Fed):

" Hudkins further stated he contacted a Government official not a Federal official in Dallas who told him that Oswald' was on the payroll of either the FBI or CIA with voucher number 179 and that Oswald received no less than $150 per month nor. —• more than $225 a month. Hudkins related that this official had ' furnished him reliable information in the past which he had been able to print, however, he did not print anything stating Oswald was an FBI or CIA informant but merely raised this question in his article. He stated he had only this official's word and did not see any supporting.document"

And Goulden said:

"Goulden stated he obtained this information from a law enforcement officer in Dallas whom be declined to effort to pin down his allegation and determine identity of his identify. "

I don't think either Goulden or Hudkins made up the "Oswald was an informant for the FBI" out of thin air. They got that from some unnamed source in law enforcement in Dallas, someone well placed within (the DPD?) and also confident enough to tweak the nose of the FBI. 

Further, we know from the infamous January 24 Warren Commission executive session that the "dirty rumor" that "Oswald" was an FBI informant virtually paralyzed the WC. Allen Dulles spelled out explicitly the probability the FBI would lie about such a (theoretical) connection to "Oswald."

Whatever the truth of the allegation, the effect was to stop any serious inquiry into the possibility that "Oswald" was indeed an informant for some government agency. With the finger of suspicion pointed squarely at the FBI, any other agency's connections to "Oswald" would remain hidden and unexplored as a result of this "leak" by Hudkins and Goulden.

I don't know about Hudkins, but Joseph C. Golden was trained by Army Intelligence at Fort Holabird as a counterintelligence operative in 1956. But even more interestingly he said:

"Fresh from The University of Texas, I knew naught of this secret world. But as I read the printed materials, and attended courses taught by veteran intelligence officers ( CIA, FBI, and the military) I developed an interest in this secret world that would last a lifetime. And those initial two dozen pieces of literature eventually swelled to a collection of some 4,000 non-fiction volumes on intelligence, espionage, terrorist, deception and special warfare."

"One of the people Mr. Goulden would meet, would be Walter Pforzheimer, one of the founding fathers of the Central Intelligence Agency (first for the Central Intelligence Group, a predecessor agency, in 1946, and then with CIA the following year). An avuncular man with considerable private family wealth, Walter early on was tasked by Allen Dulles, the director of central intelligence, with creating a reference library for the nascent CIA. Walter loved books himself, and the assignment was a natural: Goulden would buy one copy of the book for the agency library, and another copy for himself. . . "

So Joe Goulden was close to people at the very top of the CIA, had a lifetime interest in "this secret world", was trained by Agency officers, regularly met with (and lunched with) CIA officials even after his retirement,  yet we can't guess from whom came his anonymous tip which embarrassed the FBI and stymied any Warren Commission investigation into "Oswald's" intelligence connections?

I will say it: Joe Goulden's anonymous source in Dallas law enforcement was someone connected to the CIA.

Here are links to the three most relevant documents:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg Subject Index Files/H Disk/Hudkins Lonnie/Item 10.pdf

https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/opinion/just-who-is-joe-goulden-part-one/article_63cecc73-0e6b-5382-892c-eae3b70ca19f.html

Edited by Paul Jolliffe

On 6/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, Jim Hargrove said:

Interesting VERY early article on Oswald in The Nation magazine that follows the money and seems to attempt to say that the FBI, rather than the CIA, was secretly financing him.

I wish that site was formatted better and easier to use on mobile. A lot of good stuff on there.

There are documents that  say so.

HERE IS ONE.

Wade took this dross to Wa. to the WC and there is even a doc (4 or so pgs) where they discussed this as well.

Edited by Bart Kamp

13 hours ago, Paul Jolliffe said:

So Joe Goulden was close to people at the very top of the CIA, had a lifetime interest in "this secret world", was trained by Agency officers, regularly met with (and lunched with) CIA officials even after his retirement,  yet we can't guess from whom came his anonymous tip which embarrassed the FBI and stymied any Warren Commission investigation into "Oswald's" intelligence connections?

I will say it: Joe Goulden's anonymous source in Dallas law enforcement was someone connected to the CIA.

Here are links to the three most relevant documents:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg Subject Index Files/H Disk/Hudkins Lonnie/Item 10.pdf

https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/opinion/just-who-is-joe-goulden-part-one/article_63cecc73-0e6b-5382-892c-eae3b70ca19f.html

Makes perfect sense!  In my original post above I said that Feldman’s article “follows the money and seems to attempt to say that the FBI, rather than the CIA, was secretly financing him [Oswald].”  

The evidence that remains seems to indicate that Hudkins was protecting his source, that “Government official not a Federal official in Dallas….” According to the FBI, Golden/Goulden also refused to state his source, but I was completely unaware of his intelligence connections until now.

In the opening pages of Portrait of the Assassin, Gerald Ford describes this incident in detail, including descriptions of the articles by Hudkins, “Golden,” [as he spells it] and Harold Feldman.  But Ford only talks about the accusation in relation to the FBI, not the CIA, which comes up later mostly in reference to the Russian “defection,” Powers’ U-2 shoot down, and “Marguerite’s” claim.

What is fascinating is that, other than saying Hoover denied the whole thing, Ford never directly disputed the FBI informer claim, at least in his book, which was published in 1965.  It appears that he, like Feldman, was far more interested in pointing to the FBI than the CIA. If memory serves (and it often doesn't) someone once called Ford "the CIA's best friend in Congress."

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:46 AM, Jim Hargrove said:

Harold Feldman was one of the earliest WC critics.  If memory serves I believe he was also the brother-in- law of Vince Salandria.