The Education Forum

Trump the new JFK?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JFK was not an idiot, so I don't see what meaningful parallels can be drawn with Donald Trump.

According to Trump himself, he called off a military strike at the last minute because it dawned on him that some people might be killed and he asked how many. We're supposed to believe that any "collateral damage" never even came up in the planning of this strike. 

And now he talks about "obliteration" of Iran if there's a war. God help this country with this ignorant fool in the White House.

To compare Trump to JFK in just about any respect is futile.  Different times, different personalities, different goals for the USA.  Pretty much an insult to much of what JFK stood for. 

JFK did much to help people of color in terms of civil rights.  Trump thinks there are good people on both sides of racially motivated violence.  JFK went to Mexico promoting peace with our neighbors.  Trump wants to build a wall and calls immigrants rapists and more.  JFK wanted to eliminate the Oil Depletion allowance for rich investors.  Trump gave the rich a huge tax break.

The Iran drone shoot down does not equate to the Cuban Missile Crisis.  JFK faced Russian Nuclear Weapons 90 miles off our coast brought there in secret.  How it was handled meant the difference in Nuclear War with Russia.  Cities destroyed and millions of deaths in both countries.  Iran shot down our Drone, they say over their airspace.  We say not.  We're obviously close to it, protecting our assets in the area.  Is it worth going to war over, likely with little to no world wide or NATO support?  Or should we just nuke em?  They can't respond. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/20/us/us-iran-drone-map.html

Edited by Ron Bulman

8 hours ago, Cory Santos said:

I am surprised no one has brought up that we are not at war right now because President Trump, against advice, cancelled a military response with Iran and how similar this was to Cuba and JFK.

Cory,

It could be that not many people responded because they are appalled by what has happened in the last 48hours or so.

It sort of begs the question; who ordered the air strike in the first place? The answer is frightening no matter how you look at it.

Did Trump cancel an air strike he himself had ordered not 4 or 5 hours beforehand? I so, then military engagements are being decided on the spur of the moment, with no thought to the planning.

An article came out that Trump cancelled the air strike, while the planes were in the air,  when he learned that there would be civilian casualties. An estimate of casualties on both sides should be part of any initial planning for a military strike. Does that mean that there was no initial planning?

Is Trump deciding things on a whim?

If Trump didn't order the air strike, then who did?

Who is ordering military action around the world on our behalf?

Like I said. It's frightening no matter how you look at it.

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

I'm thinking that with all the arms deals and the decades of acrimony, Iran is better armed and more determined to fight than Iraq was.  Hence the standdown.

You mean we won't be able to invade Iran (four times the size of Iraq) and track down the Ayatollah hiding in a hole in the ground?

Trump is the heir to Hitler.  He announced yesterday that he wants to be president forever. HIs next step is to herd the immigrants from the South that are scattered around the U.S. into railroad cars without water and food and deposit them in a place that will remind people of the concentration camps the Nazis set up for the Jews.

First they came for the immigrants .....

ICE may be the new ‘Brownshirts’. The elected government seems almost powerless to, for instance, to reunite broken immigrant families. If ICE rounds up citizens who will stop them? 

The story that Trump told, that he stepped in to prevent an attack that would have killed 150 Iranians, cannot be verified. We could ask - was there even an air strike ordered in the first place? If Trump is standing in the way of military responses in Iran, or Venezuela, I applaud him. But I seriously doubt there is truth in this story. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

6 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

The story that Trump told, that he stepped in to prevent an attack that would have killed 150 Iranians, cannot be verified. We could ask - was there even an air strike ordered in the first place? If Trump is standing in the way of military responses in Iran, or Venezuela, I applaud him. But I seriously doubt there is truth in this story. 

Well that's the trouble with XXXXX. You can't believe a single word they tell you whether it's the truth or not. 

Edit: The XXXXX means people who don't tell the truth. Who apparently aren't supposed to exist here.

Edited by Ron Ecker

I see Pres. Trump's move as a strategy to get Iran's attention without causing additional harm.  It may work.

JFK's choices re the BOP and the Cuban Missile Crisis were met with severe criticism by his adversaries at that time.  To make matters worse, JFK was 'young', and 'inexperienced'.  In some circles he was perceived as 'reckless'.  But, as we can see, history has shown him to have been right. 

11 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

I see Pres. Trump's move as a strategy to get Iran's attention without causing additional harm.  It may work.

Trump's only "strategy" is to dominate the news cycle heading into a weekend -- he's always had a gnawing, desperate need to see himself on TV -- and to further terrorize his staff, in this case giving Mike Pompeo and John Bolton the shaft.

In the Trump regime Sec. of State and Nat'l Security Adv. are ceremonial roles. 

Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity are the real national security team.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/21/us/politics/trump-iran-strike.html

“He heard from his generals and his diplomats. Lawmakers weighed in and so did his advisers. But among the voices that rang powerfully for President Trump was that of one of his favorite Fox News hosts: Tucker Carlson.”

“While national security advisers were urging a military strike against Iran, Mr. Carlson in recent days had told Mr. Trump that responding to Tehran’s provocations with force was crazy. The hawks did not have the president’s best interests at heart, he said. And if Mr. Trump got into a war with Iran, he could kiss his chances of re-election goodbye.”  </q>

Edited by Cliff Varnell

3 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

You mean we won't be able to invade Iran (four times the size of Iraq) and track down the Ayatollah hiding in a hole in the ground?

Not like I agree with any of this.  Or Iraq.  Or Central America.  Or Vietnam.  Or...

Edited by David Andrews

2 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Trump is the heir to Hitler.  He announced yesterday that he wants to be president forever. HIs next step is to herd the immigrants from the South that are scattered around the U.S. into railroad cars without water and food and deposit them in a place that will remind people of the concentration camps the Nazis set up for the Jews.

This would seem to only make him the heir to FDR.