The Education Forum

Why Officer Tippit Stopped his Killer

Here is another new exploration of the TIppit case.

This one incorporates new info about a mysterious fight JD may have been responding to.  And also renders dubious Frontline's Mr Tatum.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/why-officer-tippit-stopped-his-killer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's more than one interesting thing in this article.  The possibility of the fight is mentioned in Nightmare but not detailed in depth.  Two guy's and a woman jumped another man, stabbed him and threw him in the back of a car?  Nightmare said it was four blocks from where Tippitt was killed a few minutes before he was, this says it was actually only two blocks away.  No record of it being called in, or broadcast about, with multiple witnesses to it, in the DPD records?  This doesn't align with what Tippit's dad told Mr. McBride about being told his son was hunting for Oswald although it's very interesting.  I wonder what he thinks about this as his book is used as a source.

I'd never read Whaley dropped Oswald off several blocks past his rooming house (near the El Chico where the mechanic saw Oswald in a red ford falcon (?- Mathers?) in the parking lot After he had been arrested in the TexasTheater).  I thought it was A block past his rooming house.  This would mean Oswald changing clothes, picking up his pistol, and Earlene Roberts story were all hooey.  Not time to walk several blocks back for this to happen, then walk to where Tippit was shot (which can't be done by it's self, it's been attempted to be duplicated by more than one researcher, unsuccessfully), much less walk on to the Texas Theater.

Tippitt picked up Oswald several blocks past his rooming house, near the El Chico (how did he know to go there?), dropped him off near the Texas Theatre, then went to investigate a fight, that does seem to have happened but was never reported, a couple of blocks from where he was killed?  All interesting food for thought in a great article which fleshes out other things I've read about the subject.  I need to re read it and look at a map of Oak Cliff again even after riding through the area 10-12 years ago with a friend (plus memories of going to Aunt Kate house in Oak Cliff when she lived there in 60/61 at about 5 years old).

Mr. McBride, Help!  I'm no expert on the subject.  Your thought's would be greatly appreciated.

Tatum was definitely full of crap as a Christmas turkey.

Edited by Ron Bulman

LOL😂

17 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

There's more than one interesting thing in this article.  The possibility of the fight is mentioned in Nightmare but not detailed in depth.  Two guy's and a woman jumped another man, stabbed him and threw him in the back of a car?  Nightmare said it was four blocks from where Tippitt was killed a few minutes before he was, this says it was actually only two blocks away.  No record of it being called in, or broadcast about, with multiple witnesses to it, in the DPD records?  This doesn't align with what Tippit's dad told Mr. McBride about being told his son was hunting for Oswald although it's very interesting.  I wonder what he thinks about this as his book is used as a source.

I'd never read Whaley dropped Oswald off several blocks past his rooming house (near the El Chico where the mechanic saw Oswald in a red ford falcon (?- Mathers?) in the parking lot After he had been arrested in the TexasTheater).  I thought it was A block past his rooming house.  This would mean Oswald changing clothes, picking up his pistol, and Earlene Roberts story were all hooey.  Not time to walk several blocks back for this to happen, then walk to where Tippit was shot (which can't be done by it's self, it's been attempted to be duplicated by more than one researcher, unsuccessfully), much less walk on to the Texas Theater.

Tippitt picked up Oswald several blocks past his rooming house, near the El Chico (how did he know to go there?), dropped him off near the Texas Theatre, then went to investigate a fight, that does seem to have happened but was never reported, a couple of blocks from where he was killed?  All interesting food for thought in a great article which fleshes out other things I've read about the subject.  I need to re read it and look at a map of Oak Cliff again even after riding through the area 10-12 years ago with a friend (plus memories of going to Aunt Kate house in Oak Cliff when she lived there in 60/61 at about 5 years old).

Mr. McBride, Help!  I'm no expert on the subject.  Your thought's would be greatly appreciated.

Well, "several blocks" is really about three long blocks. "Oswald" was dropped off (according to Whalley) at the intersection of Beckley and Neely. It appears to be about a 7-8 minute fast walk south of 1026 N. Beckley. We don't know exactly what time Whalley dropped "Oswald" off because Whalley only recorded his fares in 15 minute intervals. (He logged his pick-up of "Oswald" as 12:30!)

I don't think we can conclude with any certainty that Tippit picked up "Oswald", either at 1026 N. Beckley or anywhere else. (He may have, but Jack Meyers assertion is one of the weaker points of the article.)

Of interest to me is that Whalley dropped his fare (presumably "Oswald") off only a three minute walk from that mysterious residence, 214 W. Neely. That place, allegedly, was the site of the infamous backyard photo's. And don't forget, "Oswald" vehemently denied ever living there in his interrogations with Captain Fritz!

There was/is something very odd about that address and the conventional narrative (the "Oswald's" lived there as man, wife and child for two months in the early spring of 1963) is highly suspect.

I agree that Tatum's belated appearance as an eyewitness is worthless.

Ron, if you hold your control key down while you move your mouse on the map below, you can zoom/hover/flyover all of the relevant places here on this Google Map.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oak+Cliff,+Dallas,+TX/@32.7497732,-96.8226535,123a,35y,358.31h,48.92t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864e9a42ecce97db:0x99515b6c6f15ddaa!8m2!3d32.7203477!4d-96.8743083

I thought it was four blocks from the rooming house?

Also, did not someone write an essay on the whole Neely street mystery?

3 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Also, did not someone write an essay on the whole Neely street mystery?

Well, writing about it and solving it are two different things: no one has ever come up with a coherent explanation for why Fritz reported that "Oswald' strenuously denied ever living at 214 W. Neely. "Oswald" freely admitted all kinds of things, but said he didn't live there. So where was he (presumably with Marina and June) living in March and April of 1963, if not there? If they really did live there for two months, why in the world did he deny it?

Remember, the landlord for 214 W. Neely (M. Waldo George) had only two face-to-face contacts with the family that rented the upper half of the duplex. Nowhere in M. Waldo George's affidavit does he write that the man with whom he dealt was indeed our Lee Harvey Oswald. Instead, he makes a rather strange statement: "Later that day I met the individual who identified himself as Lee H. Oswald."

George was not called as a witness by the WC so we do not know whether he believed the man and his wife were, in fact, "Oswald" and Marina. 

Jim, on a different note, I suspect Jack Tatum's belated appearance into the witness record was to provide an explanation for the head shot to Tippit. Although the witness statements are somewhat fuzzy, it is certainly plausible that Tippit actually shot by two different gunmen. That is what the Winchester-Western and Remington Peters evidence would strongly suggest. Further, the shells bullets mismatch would suggest that at least one of the shots missed Tippit. If, in fact, the second man at the scene rode in the DPD cop car parked in the drive between the two houses, then he may well have been the one who fired the coup de grace into Tippit's skull. 

Joseph McBride and John Armstrong have written extensively about the second cop car at the the scene. It came from the alley running parallel with 10th Street, which is still there to this day. The alley runs between Patton and Denver. (See the Google Map below the link to the George affidavit.)

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh11/pdf/WH11_George_aff.pdf

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oak+Cliff,+Dallas,+TX/@32.7468009,-96.8177832,141a,35y,330.94h,10.43t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864e9a42ecce97db:0x99515b6c6f15ddaa!8m2!3d32.7203477!4d-96.8743083

Here is the alley at ground level, looking east from Patton. The Tippit murder scene one half block north and through the trees. If you look down Patton to the left, you can see a yellow crosswalk sign. That is where William Scoggins was parked in his cab. Helen Markham was on the opposite corner.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7466427,-96.8183358,3a,75y,13.18h,81.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6t0TXsfBKgRwPpOWTjXPjw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by Paul Jolliffe

I would have to agree about the fatal shot being delivered by a second assailant.

Vaganov maybe?  If we agree Tatum was not there, due to all the problems in his story, did not Vaganov have a red Ford also?

Edited by James DiEugenio

6 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

It was, as Paul J. noted, about three long blocks from the intersection of Beckley & Neely to Oswald's room at 1026 Beckley.

When Oswald (no quotation marks needed) got into William Whaley's cab, Oswald told Whaley to take him to the 500 block of North Beckley. But when they were getting close to the 500 block, Oswald told Whaley to drop him off at the Neely Street intersection, which is at the 700 block of Beckley. So LHO had to backtrack from the 700 block to the 1000 block (three total blocks, which apparently are fairly long blocks).

See Whaley's reconstruction videos here....

Play-Video-Logo.png

Edited by David Von Pein

9 hours ago, Paul Jolliffe said:

no one has ever come up with a coherent explanation for why Fritz reported that "Oswald' strenuously denied ever living at 214 W. Neely.

That's an easy one to figure out---

Oswald denied living at 214 Neely because he knew that the Backyard Photos were taken there (at his direction), and he knew that those photos were taken at a time when he himself was living there. And the Backyard Photos, of course, show Oswald with the Kennedy murder weapon. Hence, Lee felt compelled to distance himself (again) from any and all "connections" to the murder rifle.

Edited by David Von Pein

31 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

That's an easy one to figure out---

Oswald denied living at 214 Neely because he knew that the Backyard Photos were taken there (at his direction), and he knew that those photos were taken at a time when he himself was living there. And the Backyard Photos show Oswald with the Kennedy murder weapon. Hence, Lee feels compelled to distance himself (again) from any and all "connections" to the murder rifle.

If we believe anything Fritz said (he didn't know Jack Ruby), since he didn't take notes but recreated a very few some days later, and didn't know what a tape recorder was,,, he said Oswald told him immediately that someone had transposed a picture of his head onto someone else's body.  About all we really know he said for sure is "I didn't shoot anybody" , I'm just a patsy".  Then there's that headless version of the picture, wasn't that from the DPD files?

BTW, that's not one of the murder weapons in the picture, and, Oswald never ordered a rifle.  Show me the properly stamped money order. 

Here is an interesting short essay about Neely.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-central-park-jogger-internal-memo-dont-settle-20180720-story.html

Don't you love tthe husband's act after his wife let the cat out of the bag?

Edited by James DiEugenio

If Oswald lied about Neeley St to keep the backyard photos from implicating him then he must have forgotten about their existence until minutes after the assassination. He forgot about them even though he would have known in advance that he would leave the rifle behind at his workplace. He Gave DeMohrenschildt a copy in May that he captioned and signed. Sounds like he had a little pride in that image of himself, yet he forgot all about it.
So I guess he could have shot JFK and as he  placed the rifle down behind some boxes he suddenly remembered those photos and almost sh*t himself.
 But in reality if he really left his rifle and fingerprints at his workplace, then he never intended to get away with it. So then why would he lie about Neely St when he intentionally left a trail of breadcrumbs that would lead straight to him?

Whaley reported Oswald's destination as the 500 block of N. Beckley.  His rooming house address is 1026 N. Beckley.  That's Five blocks.  At a block a minute that adds 5 minutes to the time line.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g55711-d7805018-Reviews-Oswald_Rooming_House_Tour-Dallas_Texas.html

51 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Whaley reported Oswald's destination as the 500 block of N. Beckley.  His rooming house address is 1026 N. Beckley.  That's Five blocks.  At a block a minute that adds 5 minutes to the time line.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g55711-d7805018-Reviews-Oswald_Rooming_House_Tour-Dallas_Texas.html

Hard to believe from the review's this is a real thing people pay money to do.

Nice one Chris, hope it does not go unnoticed.