The Education Forum

Research question: Obtaining police reports from DPD (William Whaley)

Oh, I agree that it totally looks like an accident, unlike some other deaths of that era.  That's why I never understood why this one was listed as a 'suspicious death' unless somebody knew far more than what I've read to date.  You can't blame Whaley for his death.  I don't think you can blame the old guy, unless he really was intoxicated as one article stated.  That just left the naval officer.  Since he nearly died in the crash as well, I think we can remove him from the list of suspects.

Now that I've started looking at it, though, I figured I'd finish crossing all the dots.  There are a couple of very minor inconsistencies that I feel are probably typos and/or clerical errors.   (Or I'm just not reading something thoroughly.)   I'd really love to see the accident report to see if it explains one of the question marks, so I'll see if it's still available.

I've wondered myself for years if his death was accidental.  Never read about the other older guy (81?) being drunk.  Whaley being the guy who transported Oswald after the assassination who himself died in the first fatality  accident of a Dallas cab driver ever is naturally suspicious, imo.   Considering whatever the DPD gave the press is what they reported.  And several among the DPD are suspect in the first place.  

On 7/16/2019 at 8:27 AM, John Kozlowski said:

The site I came across dealt with the mysterious deaths of witnesses and gave the address of either the DPD or Sheriff for those looking into getting a copy of records. It had the sheriffs address under Whaley’s name.

John - Apparently your search engine results are doing better than mine.  I can't locate a site which gives that info.  Would you mind sharing the link for that site?

1 minute ago, Stephanie Goldberg said:

John - Apparently your search engine results are doing better than mine.  I can't locate a site which gives that info.  Would you mind sharing the link for that site?

Ill find the  link for you just give me a min.  I assume your using google to search. If so try DuckDuckGo and you’ll have better results

6 minutes ago, John Kozlowski said:

Ill find the  link for you just give me a min.  I assume your using google to search. If so try DuckDuckGo and you’ll have better results

Thank you!  And, yes, I use Google.  I'm not familiar with DuckDuckGo, but I love the name!  I'm surely willing to give it a go.

Just now, Stephanie Goldberg said:

Thank you!  And, yes, I use Google.  I'm not familiar with DuckDuckGo, but I love the name!  I'm surely willing to give it a go.

Here you go. After the summary on each person it tells you where you can get copies of the police and/or death records.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/crs.htm

25 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

I've wondered myself for years if his death was accidental.  Never read about the other older guy (81?) being drunk.  Whaley being the guy who transported Oswald after the assassination who himself died in the first fatality  accident of a Dallas cab driver ever is naturally suspicious, imo.   Considering whatever the DPD gave the press is what they reported.  And several among the DPD are suspect in the first place.  

The initial news reports from that day varied from the Dallas Morning News (12/19/65) which said that the car driven by Wells (the older gentleman) "apparently crossed the center stripe."  It also mentions a drizzling rain falling at the time.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram (12/19/65) says that "...a second man, John Henry Wells, 83, of Dallas, also died and an autopsy was ordered to determine whether he died from injuries or from a heart attack."  

The Corpus Christi Caller-Times (12/19/65) mentions a thick fog on the viaduct where the collision happened and says "Investigators said Wells may have suffered a heart attack, and an autopsy was ordered.  He was alone in his car."

I cannot find any news report online that reports the results of the autopsy, but according to Wells' death certificate there was no autopsy performed.   So I'm curious to see what the police report might say if it still exists.

2 minutes ago, Stephanie Goldberg said:

Google searches don’t show a lot of sites that it did in the past especially when dealing with conspiracies. I found DuckDuckGo to produce a lot more results when dealing with subjects like this

1 minute ago, Stephanie Goldberg said:

Thanks, John!  And I'll definitely give the other search engine a go next time!! Google has some weird results at times. 

If you use chrome you can change your search browser under settings instead of using another app or downloading the DuckDuckGo browser. I still use google a lot but for stuff like this I use the other. You’d be surprised what they censor when you start getting into some deeper subjects

3 minutes ago, John Kozlowski said:

If you use chrome you can change your search browser under settings instead of using another app or downloading the DuckDuckGo browser. I still use google a lot but for stuff like this I use the other. You’d be surprised what they censor when you start getting into some deeper subjects

I did not realize you could switch search engines so easily in the settings.  Good to know.  Thanks again!!  🙂

22 minutes ago, Denis Morissette said:

Stephanie, how about the possibility the real target was Whaley? Is it possible that they wanted to delete Whaley?

I always assumed that if there was anything fishy with this accident that Whaley must be the target.   I'm just curious - since his death is almost always mentioned in the 'suspicious deaths' listings related to the JFK case - what circumstances made his death suspicious.  I agree that the timing is suspect, but I'm just curious to see if there's more than what I've read to date.

I have multiple newspaper articles and the death certificates for both Whaley and John Henry Wells (the other man killed in the accident.)  I'm sending off for the accident report this weekend from the Dallas County Sheriff's office.  (The sheriff's office only accept money orders if you make the request by mail.  I had no idea that anyone still used money orders.)

It would be interesting to obtain a copy of Whaley's log book page for that day, but I doubt that still exists.

All of this may just go to prove that William Whaley's death was exactly what it appears to be - a very tragic accident.  But I figured I'd see if I could collect all the available information and then decide for myself if his death goes in the suspicious or ordinary category.