The Education Forum

Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA and the Secret History of the Sixties

Douglas Caddy

6 minutes ago, S.T. Patrick said:

The Apple podcast app and Stitcher should both go back far enough. On the Apple app - which I use - you, for some reason have to scroll down and click "available episodes." Then they should all pop up. I wish Apple didnt make you go through this step to see all episodes... but they do. Its my understanding that Stitcher has something similar, but I havent used it in a while.

Apple and stitcher only go back to episode 27. No big deal I just used your website to listen. Apple cuts a lot of episode for some reason. Stitcher is usually better but they stop at 27 too.

Edited by John Kozlowski

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, John Kozlowski said:

Apple and stitcher only go back to episode 27. No big deal I just used your website to listen. Apple cuts a lot of episode for some reason. Stitcher is usually better but they stop at 27 too.

It is a big deal if it limit's or disrupts access to information.  I'm glad you brought the subject up.

1 hour ago, John Kozlowski said:

Oh, youre right. they do. Ive never noticed that before. I guess there is some episode limit or something. The 2nd Schreck episode, number 089, should still be on both. But yes, everything is on the website for free. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Ron Bulman said:

It is a big deal if it limit's or disrupts access to information.  I'm glad you brought the subject up.

Ive listened to many of them, almost all of them, on Apple and Ive never heard it cut anything. Not saying it doesn't or couldn't happen, but Ive never had that happen. YouTube, however, does cut anything they think is copyrighted, including many clips and some music that isn't. So, Ive tried to limit the YouTube use for the show. But Ive, personally, never had an issue with Apple cutting anything. They can also be downloaded on the website if you want to use your favorite music player, which some people also do. Thank you. 

40 minutes ago, S.T. Patrick said:

Ive listened to many of them, almost all of them, on Apple and Ive never heard it cut anything. Not saying it doesn't or couldn't happen, but Ive never had that happen. YouTube, however, does cut anything they think is copyrighted, including many clips and some music that isn't. So, Ive tried to limit the YouTube use for the show. But Ive, personally, never had an issue with Apple cutting anything. They can also be downloaded on the website if you want to use your favorite music player, which some people also do. Thank you. 

I didn’t mean it cuts out part of the episode I meant it doesn’t have every episode available. Should have worded that better

Edited by John Kozlowski

58 minutes ago, John Kozlowski said:

I didn’t mean it cuts out part of the episode I meant it doesn’t have every episode available. Should have worded that better

Oh, okay. Yes, but it should have every one back to episode 27 when hitting "available episodes." Should. But Im learning tonight that it only apparently holds so many episodes. So, theres that. But yes, the website has everything. Thanks.

8 hours ago, S.T. Patrick said:

Oh, okay. Yes, but it should have every one back to episode 27 when hitting "available episodes." Should. But Im learning tonight that it only apparently holds so many episodes. So, theres that. But yes, the website has everything. Thanks.

I did a search because there are a few podcasts I listen to that have early episodes unavailable. Apple has a 300 episode limit. Since apple and stitcher both start at episode 27 I think it has to do with what’s uploaded to your RSS feed. I don’t know much about how that works but from what I read that’s that’s the problem.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:50 PM, Pamela Brown said:

In addition to Manson writing "Helter Skelter" at the scene of on of the murders, there may be an odd coincidence between the Tate murders of Charles Manson and the murder of John Lennon -- Sharon Tate was married to Roman Polanski and carrying his child when she was killed.  Polanski's movie "Rosemary's Baby", released the year before, was filmed at the Dakota, which is where John Lennon was killed. 

Off topic a bit...but theres a more interesting link with Operation 40 and John Lennons murder.

José Sanjenís Perdomo was a member of Operation 40 and recruited most of its members. He happened to be the doorman of the Dakota the night John Lennon was assassinated, as the regular doorman was ill.

More research on Lennons death and Operation 40 would be interesting.

17 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Darrell, ya gotta check out Manson In His Own Words (w/Nuel Emmons).  He doesn't spare anyone, much less himself.    That book leaves me with the impression there was no real "masterminding" going on.

Emmons was an ex-con who'd done time with Manson, which is how that book came together.

"Well, he would say that, wouldn't he."  -- Mandy Rice-Davies

Edited by David Andrews

2 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Emmons was an ex-con who'd done time with Manson, which is how that book came together.

"Well, he would say that, wouldn't he."  -- Mandy Rice-Davies

Why don't you read the book before you dismiss what's in it?

Edited by Cliff Varnell

1 minute ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Why don't you read the book before you dismiss what's in it.

Point taken.  I will try to defeat the prejudice that Manson, like all dirtbags accused of heinous crimes, would try to mitigate his heinousness.  Was he not a master of the rhetorical trope of putting his motivations inside other people?  (Them girls, they all wanted sex because they had daddy issues. / You fear Charlie because you actually want to kill Charlie, so here's the gun.)

37 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Point taken.  I will try to defeat the prejudice that Manson, like all dirtbags accused of heinous crimes, would try to mitigate his heinousness.  Was he not a master of the rhetorical trope of putting his motivations inside other people?  (Them girls, they all wanted sex because they had daddy issues. / You fear Charlie because you actually want to kill Charlie, so here's the gun.)

Manson doesn't shirk responsibility for the crimes.  He admits that his hatred for "straight" society fueled the decisions he made.

His account makes a hell of a lot more sense that what Susan Atkins wrote in the LA Times five days after she was charged in the murders.  If anyone is a dirtbag trying to mitigate the heinousness of their crimes -- it's Atkins.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

Has anyone read the Jeff Guinn book on Manson? I was wondering if it was, in essence, Helter Skelter II? Guinn's Jim Jones book had some problems of omission, but he has done some decent work elsewhere. Anyone?

when will  Mr Shreck be in the USA?

Will you have him on?  I would like to hear his take on the O'Nneill book.

Edited by James DiEugenio

On 7/16/2019 at 5:06 PM, S.T. Patrick said:

I've had Nikolas Schreck on the show twice. He's done the 1000+ page The Manson File, and he was the director of the documentary Charles Manson Superstar. He absolutely shreds Bugliosi's myth-making regarding the Manson case. What I like most is that he also shreds the myths regarding who the girls really were (especially Van Houten, who the MSM has always portrayed as the most palatable). Both episodes are over three hours, I believe, but they are worth it. Nikolas was excellent.

MWN Episode 013: Charles Manson and the Myth of Helter Skelter

https://midnightwriternews.com/mwn-episode-026-charles-manson-and-the-myth-of-helter-skelter/

MWN Episode 089: The Legacy of Charles Manson (* recorded shortly after the battle over the estate occurred *)

https://midnightwriternews.com/mwn-episode-026-charles-manson-and-the-myth-of-helter-skelter/

Note: Nikolas Schreck also covers the shared characters in the Manson and JFK cases. He does that in episode 013.

Edit: Another note, The Manson File is very expensive on Amazon right now, but this fall he is re-releasing an updated version with the death, estate, and anniversary information in it.

I've not found time to listen yet.  Who are the shared characters in the Manson and JFK cases.?