The Education Forum

Dorothy Kilgallen - Ruby, Tippitt, and Wiseman Meeting

On 2/20/2008 at 12:36 PM, Gary Buell said:

Tippit-Weissman-Ruby meeting

From the Warren Commission Report (p.591, New York Times edition)

Speculation.-Patrolman J. D. Tippit, Bernard Weissman, and Jack Ruby met by prearrangement on November 14, 1963 at the Carousel Club.

Commission Finding.-Investigation has revealed no evidence to support the allegation. Nor is there any evidence that any of the men knew each other.

Excerpts from an FBI document from the National Archives (#180-10020-10469), dated March 28, 1967. The original document is a teletype and is in all caps.

Bureau has received a letter from a Mr. Lawrence Schiller, Alskog, Inc., Los Angeles, dated March Fifteen last ...

Schiller has advised he is in possession of the name and location of Mark Lane's informant who allegedly furnished Lane information. He was supposedly present and overheard an alleged meeting between Jack Ruby, Dallas Police Officer J.D. Tippit, and Bernard Weissman, On Nov. Fourteen, Sixtythree...

Schiller interviewed by Los Angeles, March Twentytwo last, and indicated that Mark Lane's confidential informant is Paul Bridewell aka Phil Burns, and that Bridewell currently located somewhere in Oregon, possibly Portland or Rainier. Exact location of Bridewell is probably known to one John Sutton, who formerly was in radio business in Dallas...

According to Schiller, Mark Lane learned of identity of Bridewell and info in possession of Bridewell from Theodore (Thayer) Waldo, formerly associated with Fort Worth, Texas, newspaper, "Sun Telegraph"...

Waldo indicates that about a week after assassination Sutton asked to meet him at the Dallas Press Club and at that time Sutton indicated he knew a man who witnessed a meeting in the Carousel Club between Ruby, Officer J.D. Tippit, and a Bernard Weissman, but who was reluctant to come forward with this information [over one line redacted]

Waldo indicateds that on or about Dec. Seven, Sixtythree, he met Sutton at the Dallas Press Club and was introduced to Phil Burns, White male, age late thirties, five feet eight, one forty five lbs., chestnut hair, wore glasses and employed by some advertising firm on account of one of Sutton's sponsors. After many assurances that identity would be protected, Burns related that he was acquainted with Ruby [about one line redacted] also that he knew officer Tippit since he had seen him in uniform at the club which apparently was on his beat. Burns indicated he passed a table and Ruby greeted him saying, "You know J.D. here", and Ruby then introduced the other individual as Bernard Weissman from the East. Burns described Weissman as white male, thirtyfive years, black hair, over six feet tall. Burns allegedly returned to his table and Ruby sent him a complimentary drink.

I do not know at this point if the FBI located Paul Bridewell. I believe that Bridewell may have been using an alias because he was in the Carousel Club with a woman who was not his wife.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Michael Clark said:

From the Warren Commission Report (p.591, New York Times edition)

Speculation.-Patrolman J. D. Tippit, Bernard Weissman, and Jack Ruby met by prearrangement on November 14, 1963 at the Carousel Club.

Commission Finding.-Investigation has revealed no evidence to support the allegation. Nor is there any evidence that any of the men knew each other.

Excerpts from an FBI document from the National Archives (#180-10020-10469), dated March 28, 1967. The original document is a teletype and is in all caps.

Bureau has received a letter from a Mr. Lawrence Schiller, Alskog, Inc., Los Angeles, dated March Fifteen last ...

Schiller has advised he is in possession of the name and location of Mark Lane's informant who allegedly furnished Lane information. He was supposedly present and overheard an alleged meeting between Jack Ruby, Dallas Police Officer J.D. Tippit, and Bernard Weissman, On Nov. Fourteen, Sixtythree...

Schiller interviewed by Los Angeles, March Twentytwo last, and indicated that Mark Lane's confidential informant is Paul Bridewell aka Phil Burns, and that Bridewell currently located somewhere in Oregon, possibly Portland or Rainier. Exact location of Bridewell is probably known to one John Sutton, who formerly was in radio business in Dallas...

According to Schiller, Mark Lane learned of identity of Bridewell and info in possession of Bridewell from Theodore (Thayer) Waldo, formerly associated with Fort Worth, Texas, newspaper, "Sun Telegraph"...

Waldo indicates that about a week after assassination Sutton asked to meet him at the Dallas Press Club and at that time Sutton indicated he knew a man who witnessed a meeting in the Carousel Club between Ruby, Officer J.D. Tippit, and a Bernard Weissman, but who was reluctant to come forward with this information [over one line redacted]

Waldo indicateds that on or about Dec. Seven, Sixtythree, he met Sutton at the Dallas Press Club and was introduced to Phil Burns, White male, age late thirties, five feet eight, one forty five lbs., chestnut hair, wore glasses and employed by some advertising firm on account of one of Sutton's sponsors. After many assurances that identity would be protected, Burns related that he was acquainted with Ruby [about one line redacted] also that he knew officer Tippit since he had seen him in uniform at the club which apparently was on his beat. Burns indicated he passed a table and Ruby greeted him saying, "You know J.D. here", and Ruby then introduced the other individual as Bernard Weissman from the East. Burns described Weissman as white male, thirtyfive years, black hair, over six feet tall. Burns allegedly returned to his table and Ruby sent him a complimentary drink.

I do not know at this point if the FBI located Paul Bridewell. I believe that Bridewell may have been using an alias because he was in the Carousel Club with a woman who was not his wife.

Good find.

On 2/20/2008 at 2:40 AM, John Simkin said:

Does anyone know if Thayer Waldo is still alive? Waldo worked as a foreign correspondent in Mexico and Cuba. He left Cuba when Fidel Castro came to power and moved to the Dominican Republic. In 1962 he joined the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

It is interesting that Florence Pritchett’s Husband was ambassador to Cuba during the time that Thayer Waldo was a correspondent there.

And... From Spartacus....

In 1943 Florence divorced Canning. The following year she met John F. Kennedy. The couple spent a lot of time together. Betty Spalding said that for Kennedy, "Over a long period of time, it was probably the closest relationship with a woman I know of." However, because Kennedy was a Roman Catholic, marriage was out of the question.

Florence Pritchett 

FDDD9C19-F555-4ADF-8538-AF2EB0F9D9A2.jpe

Edited by Michael Clark

4 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

image.jpeg.da9872745ba5a88a2ce3b31ff67e893e.jpeg

On 7/19/2019 at 6:56 AM, Lewis Reynolds said:

I'm just listening to a radio show about Dorothy Kilgallen.

It mentions that Dorothy got information from someone else that she published in an article.

This information was about a meeting, 8 days before the assassination, between Jack Ruby, Officer Tippitt and Bernard Wiseman at Rubys club.

Supposedly the Warren Commission knew about this meeting and choose to ignore it as they had been told a fourth man was at it (a Texan oilman).

Does anyone have anymore information about this meeting? Has this been written about before? Who was Bernard Wiseman?

Thanks in advance.

Lewis,

http://www.covertbookreport.com/carroll-jarnagin-did-he-actually-witness-ruby-with-oswald/

Carroll Jarnagin; Did He Actually Witness Ruby With Oswald?

By John Titus with research by Carson Horton

April 29, 2016

But the (Carroll) Jarnagin story doesn’t end there. Jarnagin later approached Forth Worth Star-Telegram reporter Waldo Thayer with a new claim that he witnessed Bernard Weissman (who was the signer of the infamous black-bordered advertisement that appeared in the Dallas Morning News on November 22), Jack Ruby, and Dallas police officer J.D. Tippit meeting in the Carousel Club on November 14, 1963, just a few days before the assassination. Later investigation showed that the meeting never happened. Thayer later told conspiracy author and attorney Mark Lane about the claim which became a featured part of Lane’s 1966 book Rush to Judgment, although Lane didn’t reveal the name of the informant who he considered a reliable and responsible person. [Aynesworth, Hugh, JFK: Breaking the News, International Focus Press, 2003, p.231; Lane, Mark, Rush to Judgment, Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1966, p.249] 

November 14th would have been eight days before the assassination.

You'll have to read the article and decide for yourself if Jarnigan was telling the truth.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

On 7/22/2019 at 9:31 AM, Michael Clark said:

It is established that Kilgallen had an exclusive, private interview with Ruby, after the assassination. That would lend credence to a her having-had prior contact with him. So, it seems not-so far fetched and even more likely than not. 

Michael,

It's been awhile since I looked at Kilgallen, but my hazy memory is that her meeting with Ruby was only a few minutes long. So, what could he have said - that he murdered "Oswald" on (????)'s orders, I suppose. But whoever gave Ruby the order to shoot "Oswald" was surely a cut-out, several layers removed from the ultimate sponsors of the JFK assassination. I find it hard to believe that Ruby knew exactly on whose behalf he was acting that Sunday morning in Dallas. 

This is not to suggest that Kilgallen was not murdered - I think there is a good chance she was. Merely that whatever tidbits Ruby may dangled in front of her, it surely could not have been the whole story. There was no way that Jack Ruby knew the whole story of the assassination.

35 minutes ago, Paul Jolliffe said:

This is not to suggest that Kilgallen was not murdered - I think there is a good chance she was

When I read the books Murder in the Vatican and In God's Name about the likely murder of the one month Pope - John Paul - who was investigating the BCCI/Calvi scandal, I thought of Kilgallen's death which mirrored his. I don't know whether she - or the Pope - would have been able to "blow the case wide open" but it seems each was on to something very pertinent and each was presented in death in ways at odds with how they lived.

11 hours ago, Paul Jolliffe said:

Michael,

It's been awhile since I looked at Kilgallen, but my hazy memory is that her meeting with Ruby was only a few minutes long. So, what could he have said - that he murdered "Oswald" on (????)'s orders, I suppose. But whoever gave Ruby the order to shoot "Oswald" was surely a cut-out, several layers removed from the ultimate sponsors of the JFK assassination. I find it hard to believe that Ruby knew exactly on whose behalf he was acting that Sunday morning in Dallas. 

This is not to suggest that Kilgallen was not murdered - I think there is a good chance she was. Merely that whatever tidbits Ruby may dangled in front of her, it surely could not have been the whole story. There was no way that Jack Ruby knew the whole story of the assassination.

From what I remember reading about the Kilgallen interview with Jack Ruby, it was private which probably scared the heck out of certain people.  (I don't think I've ever read how his visitors in jail were vetted, but I'm betting she wouldn't have been allowed to have a private conversation with him there.)  He wouldn't have had to tell her the whole story from start to finish.  All he would have had to know was one piece of vital information which could open avenues of research.  Combine that with the research Ms. Kilgallen was supposed to have already done on the JFK assassination, and she could have had a very important key to the truth in her possession with her notes and manuscript.

This is what it says on Spartacus:

Kilgallen was keen to interview Jack Ruby. She went to see Ruby's lawyer Joe Tonahill and claimed she had a message for his client from a mutual friend. It was only after this message was delivered that Ruby agreed to be interviewed by Kilgallen. 

The interview with Ruby lasted eight minutes. No one else was there. Even the guards agreed to wait outside. Officially, Kilgallen never told anyone about what Ruby said to her during this interview. Nor did she publish any information she obtained from the interview. 

The day time murder of Lee Harvey Oswald ( probably the most threatened criminal suspect in America's history ) right inside the Dallas Police Department building with 70 to 90 armed and supposedly highest in their career security alert minded DPD and other agency personnel guarding entrances and exits, lined 2 to 3 deep in the short hallway walkway from the elevator to the waiting transport vehicle, two handcuffed to Oswald himself and at least one even embedded in the basement press crowd ( Blackie Harrison ) by a well known and instantly recognizable armed local strip joint owner who just happened to walk right past, through and down into all that unprecedented security to get right next to Lee Oswald on a supposedly last second grief stricken whim...

left me with a sense of criminal intent suspicion first over simple innocent coincidence belief regards anything I ever read about the JFK assassination event after.

Especially regarding the death of Dorothy Kilgallen who was telling a few close associates right before her strange set up demise, she was on the verge of blowing the JFK case wide open.

Our federal presidential security failed in protecting JFK, the DPD failed in protecting suspect Lee Harvey Oswald and our 4th estate failed in protecting us from a controlled cover-up of the entire affair ever since.

And someone failed to protect Dorothy Kilgallen and probably several others like her who too seriously threatened the cover-up.

That's a lot of failure to protect.

Which logically forces even a rational person to be cautiously skeptical versus instantly trusting of official determinations regards nefarious doings related to the JFK event.

Edited by Joe Bauer

7 hours ago, Stephanie Goldberg said:

From what I remember reading about the Kilgallen interview with Jack Ruby, it was private which probably scared the heck out of certain people.  (I don't think I've ever read how his visitors in jail were vetted, but I'm betting she wouldn't have been allowed to have a private conversation with him there.)  He wouldn't have had to tell her the whole story from start to finish.  All he would have had to know was one piece of vital information which could open avenues of research.  Combine that with the research Ms. Kilgallen was supposed to have already done on the JFK assassination, and she could have had a very important key to the truth in her possession with her notes and manuscript.

I have long agreed with those who argue that Ruby was not merely a mob flunky, a DPD informant and a stooge for the FBI, but also a useful cut-out for the CIA. If (IF!) Ruby gave Kilgallen the name of his CIA handler/contact, then both he and she were dead men walking. (If, for example, Nancy Perrin Rich's mysterious Lt. Col. to whom Ruby allegedly handed a bag of cash to facilitate a guns for Cubans deal, was in fact, Ruby's handler, and if that Lt. Col. was L. Robert Castorr, and If Ruby spilled that name to Kilgallen, well . . .)

1 hour ago, Paul Jolliffe said:

I have long agreed with those who argue that Ruby was not merely a mob flunky, a DPD informant and a stooge for the FBI, but also a useful cut-out for the CIA. If (IF!) Ruby gave Kilgallen the name of his CIA handler/contact, then both he and she were dead men walking. (If, for example, Nancy Perrin Rich's mysterious Lt. Col. to whom Ruby allegedly handed a bag of cash to facilitate a guns for Cubans deal, was in fact, Ruby's handler, and if that Lt. Col. was L. Robert Castorr, and If Ruby spilled that name to Kilgallen, well . . .)

Very good supposition.