The Education Forum

So - J HERBERT SAWYER was FBI as well

Still pushing my way thru the doc release.... lol

Yet found this in the HSCA alphabetized subject files....  Sawyer appears to have been yet another in the help to convict Ozzie... case in point:

Mr. BELIN. All right, in any event--pardon me, do you have anything else to add? 
Mr. SAWYER. Also, there was a broadcast here in the transcript about the railroad yard. 
Mr. BELIN. All right. 
Mr. SAWYER. And this could be part of what I was thinking about, or what I had heard, was this broadcast on the radio about the railroad yard. 
Mr. BELIN. Then what did you do? You went inside the building, is that correct? 
Mr. SAWYER. We immediately went inside the building. I took--I believe Sgt. Harkness may have gone with me. I am not positive of that. 
Mr. BELIN. Was the elevator on the first floor when you got there, or did you have to wait for it to come down? 
Mr. SAWYER. Best of my recollection, it was there. 
Mr. BELIN. You got to the elevator, went up, looked around back there. How long did you spend up there at the top floor that the elevator took you to? 
Mr. SAWYER. Just took a quick look around and made sure there was nobody hiding on that floor. I doubt if it took over a minute at the most. 
Mr. BELIN. To go up and look around and come down? 
Mr. SAWYER. To look around on the floor. How long it took to go up, it couldn't have been over 3 minutes at the most from the time we left, got up and back down. 
Mr. BELIN. Then that would put it around no sooner than 12:37, if you heard the call at 12:34? 
Mr. SAWYER. Yes, sir. 

1061569352_61-09-26HOOVERrespondstoSAWYERasSec-TreasofFBINATIONALACADAMYASSOCIATESofTX-72dpi.jpg.28c60edf51e2703258ad0e63d2bc6320.jpg

40 minutes ago, David Josephs said:

Still pushing my way thru the doc release.... lol

Yet found this in the HSCA alphabetized subject files....  Sawyer appears to have been yet another in the help to convict Ozzie... case in point:

David,

I spent some trying to determine who the first officer was who ordered the TSBD sealed. Sawyer was one of my candidates. In the end, I dismissed his time estimate of when he returned to the first floor.

In another post, Paul Brancato posted a list of the January, 1959 graduates of the FBI's National Academy training. You can see it here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/25528-lumpkin-gannaway-and-the-dpd-army-intelligence-network/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-395090

Curry, Gannaway, Lumpkin, etc.

I think Sawyer was included in that one as well because of his role as one of the National Academy Associates.

If memory serves me right, Hoover cut off training for Dallas policemen at this Academy until Curry rescinded his quote from Hosty to Revill that the FBI knew about Oswald, that Oswald was a communist, and that the FBI knew he was capable of killing the President.

Steve Thomas

Just to finish the thought....

There are literally no photos of the interior of the 4th floor...  yet we are to remember that this building was 100' x 100'1497034723_4thfloordiagram.png.98a008fcfdd025d08a1e5746c57e1a7f.png

We are also to remember Vickie Adams leaving immediately and going down those back stairs.... with Styles and supposedly GARNER in tow... GARNER does not go down the stairs but does claim to hear/see policemen on the floor...

As opposed to this being BAKER and/or Truly... We also have Sawyer in plain clothes with uniformed officers....

Mr. BELIN. You went up to the top floor that the elevator would go to?  the 4th floor ....
Mr. SAWYER. That's right. 
Mr. BELIN. You got off, and were there officers there? 
Mr. SAWYER. There was one or two other officers with me. (Harness and Haygood???)
Mr. BELIN. Now when you got off, you say you went into the back there into a warehouse area? 
Mr. SAWYER. Storage area; what appeared to be a storage area. 
Mr. BELIN. Did you go into any place other than a warehouse or storage area? 
Mr. SAWYER. No. 
Mr. BELIN. Was there anything other than a warehouse or storage area there? 
Mr. SAWYER. Well, to one side I could see an office over there with people in it. Some women that apparently were office workers.

Mr. SAWYER. I do. 
Mr. BELIN. Would it be fair for me to assume then that you had not at least completely left your car by 12:34 p.m? 
Mr. SAWYER. Correct. 

By that time Vickie is on the 1st floor seeing SHELLEY and LOVELADY with Eddie PIPER also lurking about along with wrapper Troy West (Piper lies his butt off regarding his activities during this time....)

Marion Baker's JOB should have been to secure the front of the TSBD... not run into a potential crime scene without backup AND towing a civilian... but as we hear him say, "he had it...."

Steve - this what you looking for?  

Mr. BELIN. Then you got down and what did you do? 
Mr. SAWYER. I asked the Sergeant to double check the security around the building, and then I took two patrolmen and stationed them at the front door and told them, with instructions not to let anybody in or out. 
Mr. BELIN. Now up to the time you did this, had anyone else sealed off the building, that you know of? 
Mr. SAWYER. When I arrived, the sergeant told me he had the building sealed off. There were officers all around the building. To the best of my recollection, there was no officer actually stationed on the front door, at the front door. There was some on the sidewalk in front of the front door, and also, as far as I know, had no instructions been issued to anyone to let anybody in or out. 

Mr. BELIN. So yours would have been the first instructions to stop traffic from coming in and out of the front door, am I correct in that? 

12:36 260 (Sergeant D.V. Harkness) I have a witness that says that it came from the 5th floor of the Texas Book Depository Store.
12:37 Dispatcher All right, do you have the building covered off?
12:37 137 (Patrolman E.D. Brewer)

No, about 3/4 of a block away from there.

12:37 2 (Assistant Chief of Police Charles Batchelor) Can you give us any information as to what happened for these people out here, evidently they had - seriousness of it - the President involved - 1 is at Parkland, along with Dallas 1. We have word it is unknown - Texas Depository Store, corner of Elm and Field - officers are now surrounding and searching the building. (Garbled)

BTW - SAWYER NEVER SAYS "BATCHELOR" in any of his testimony...

12:43 15 (Capt. C.E. Talbert) Are you having them contain that block or 2 block area?
12:43 Dispatcher Yes, we are trying to seal off that building until it can be searched.
12:43 15 (Capt. C.E. Talbert) More than that building. Extend out from that building so it can be searched.
12:43 267 (Patrolman J.H. Caldwell) Do you want me to head south?
12:43 Count    
12:44 Dispatcher Yes, 12:44 p.m.
12:44 9 (Inspector J.H. Sawyer) The type of weapon looked like a 30-30 rifle or some type of Winchester.
12:44 Dispatcher 9, it was a rifle?
12:44 9 (Inspector J.H. Sawyer) A rifle, yes.
12:44 Dispatcher 9, any clothing description?

12:44

9 (Inspector J.H. Sawyer)

About 30, 5'10", 165 pounds.

Mr. BELIN. Could you describe the man you saw in the window on the sixth floor?
Mr. BRENNAN. To my best description, a man in his early thirties, fair complexion, slender but neat, neat slender, possibly 5-foot 10.
Mr. BELIN. About what weight?
Mr. BRENNAN. Oh, at--I calculated, I think, from 160 to 170 pounds.
Mr. BELIN. A white man?   [one needs to wonder why the additional question is needed...  "fair complexion" should give it away... no?]
Mr. BRENNAN. Yes.

1637759146_Brennanisfullofit.jpg.ae860e230512ce55e9731b1287bfde6d.jpg

"12:36        260 (Sergeant D.V. Harkness):      I have a witness that says that it came from the 5th floor of the Texas Book Depository Store."

"J.Sawyer come lately" has some splainin(slang explaining) to do when it comes to the official record.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/351076495

"If memory serves me right, Hoover cut off training for Dallas policemen at this Academy until Curry rescinded his quote from Hosty to Revill that the FBI knew about Oswald, that Oswald was a communist, and that the FBI knew he was capable of killing the President."

Hoover cut the cooperation until Curry was gone as chief of police.

On 7/30/2019 at 5:35 PM, David Josephs said:

Steve - this what you looking for?  

Mr. BELIN. Then you got down and what did you do? 
Mr. SAWYER. I asked the Sergeant to double check the security around the building, and then I took two patrolmen and stationed them at the front door and told them, with instructions not to let anybody in or out. 
Mr. BELIN. Now up to the time you did this, had anyone else sealed off the building, that you know of? 
Mr. SAWYER. When I arrived, the sergeant told me he had the building sealed off. There were officers all around the building. To the best of my recollection, there was no officer actually stationed on the front door, at the front door. There was some on the sidewalk in front of the front door, and also, as far as I know, had no instructions been issued to anyone to let anybody in or out. 

Mr. BELIN. So yours would have been the first instructions to stop traffic from coming in and out of the front door, am I correct in that? 

David,

After the assassination, George Lumpkin returned to the TSBD and took command there.

DPD Archives Box 14, Folder# 4, Item# 10 page 22.

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box14.htm

According to the Dispatch Tapes, George Lumpkin had arrived at the TSBD by 12:49 PM

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/

15 (Captain C.E. Talbert): “15 is at the scene. We... the building's the Old Purse Company on the east side of Houston. Somebody cut off the back side, will you? Make sure nobody leaves there.”

Dispatcher: “10-4, 15”

15: “15's in charge down here. Correction 5's (Deputy Chief Lumpkin) in charge.”

If Sawyer had “placed guards on the building to prevent anyone from going in or coming out”, why did Lumpkin feel compelled to order that the “building be completely sealed off, that no one be allowed to leave or enter”?

Why was Talbert pleading with Dispatch as late as 12:49 for “somebody to cut off the back side to make sure nobody leaves there”?

No, Sawyer hadn’t sealed the building, he was “detaining everyone who had knowledge whatsoever of the shooting”. There’s a difference.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas