The Education Forum

Racist Nixon-Reagan chat on tape

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I still play but, lately, I need some lessons from a guy like Jeffrey Reilly.

My problem on the (public) courses here in Denver isn't ethnic bias-- it's whacking too many balls into the weeds.

I worked a summer in Jackson Hole a while back...the rough was...well, rough. Venture off the short grass, Mark it double, dude. 

Best lesson you could learn is to wipe out all thought once you’re over the ball. If you’ve birdied one hole in your life, you know how to do it. Thinking of the mechanics while playing will doom you. 

Ive moved on, to the world of public tracks, away from the stuffiness of elitist golf clubs. Have not had so much fun playing since I was a little kid. Scores are reflecting that as well. Haven’t played this well in ages.  

3 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I still play but, lately, I need some lessons from a guy like Jeffrey Reilly.

My problem on the (public) courses here in Denver isn't ethnic bias-- it's whacking too many balls into the weeds.

In a bit of a slump myself. Jeffrey would probably analyze my problem as standing too close to the ball after I hit it.

I feel for Ronald Reagan's daughter Patty.

I have always respected her.

She was much more inclined towards and promoting of liberal causes and values and publicly stating and defending these for many years even while her father and her mother were alive and promoting the opposite.

Same with Patty's brother Ron Reagan Jr.

I can imagine it is a tough decision to take such contrary stands and views opposite of your blood father and mother, especially when they are world wide famous and your public disagreements with them are looked upon as treacherously disloyal by millions of Americans who looked upon her father as a political icon savior.

Patty and Ron took this courageous stand and the heavy criticism that came with it for many years.

And perhaps still are?

So, now that Reagan's private conversations laced with the most graphic and insulting racial comments against African blacks are revealed ( monkeys who are still getting used to shoes ) Patty's immediate public reaction is to refute and condemn them, but she also feels a duty to defend her father as much as possible and point out his other race related actions and words that were not graphically racist as those in this Nixon/ Reagan conversation.

Patty has paid her moral conscious dues. She stood against even her father and mother for decades in defending her strong liberal views versus their right wing ones.

She finally and totally deserves to share some of the good she knew and loved about her father at this later year point in her life and well after their deaths ... imo.

Edited by Joe Bauer