The Education Forum

EVIDENCE FOR HARVEY AND LEE (Please debate the specifics right here. Don't just claim someone else has debunked it!)

Jim Hargrove

14 hours ago, David Josephs said:

According to TARRANT COUNTY, there never was a boy named LEE OSWALD attending any of their schools...

?????

But, as you discovered in the Tarrant County records, a HARVEY OSWALD was attending school and living with momma Marguerite at 1505 Eighth Ave. in Fort Worth during the 1947-48 school year.  (Let’s not even get into the Nancy Lee mystery at the moment.)

This is a jarring discovery for several reasons.  One is that there is some indication that the Russian-speaking kid who was eventually killed by Jack Ruby preferred to be called Harvey in school, but there is no doubt that John A. believes the fellow who lived at 1505 Eighth Ave. in the late 1940s was the American-born LEE Oswald, living with his mother, Marguerite.

In H&L John wrote (p.24):

While Marguerite was residing in Covington, Edwin Ekdahl moved out of the Worth Hotel and into an apartment at 1505 8th Avenue in Fort Worth, apparently with another woman.

In early 1947 Marguerite and Ekdahl ended their 8-month separation and re­united. Lee was withdrawn from the Covington Grammar School on January 23, 1947 and returned with his mother to Fort Worth. Marguerite enrolled Lee at Lily B. Clayton Elementary School (Fort Worth-school #19), located at 2000 Park Place Avenue, and Lee began attending Lois Lowimore's first grade class on January 27.64 52-10/11

Ekdahl, Marguerite, and Lee lived 5 blocks east of the school in Ekdahl's up­ stairs apartment at 1505 8th Avenue.6 The short, dumpy, heavy-set "Marguerite Oswald" im­poster, who was never married to Ekdahl, told the Warren Commission, "It was in the apartment house downstairs."

A few pages later, John adds, "There is no doubt that the tall, nice-looking Marguerite Oswald and her family lived at 1505 8th Avenue in the summer and fall of 1947."

Adding to the confusion is the fact that phony Marguerite lived at 1605 8th Ave. in Fort Worth around the time her "son" went to the Soviet Union.  A strange coincidence of NEARLY identical addresses?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, David Josephs said:

John - I think what Jim means is that Fred Blair was not the Uncle... he was considered the brother-in-law.. Emil's brother-in-law in this case, which would also make Emil's brother - the uncle, a brother-in-law.... and brother-in-law to Emil's sisters as well.

If Emil's brothers are not candidates for the UNCLE position, Emil cannot be the father.

Let's take a closer look at the FACTS OF THE CALL:

• SHE COULD NOT GIVE HER NAME AS SHE WAS AFRAID OF BEING KILLED,
    THAT SHE WAS FROM NEW YORK AND HAD TO COME "HERE" TO MAKE THE
    CALL SO THAT SHE COULD NOT BE TRACED

Communists do not trace phone calls... the FBI does, the police does, the "government" does.

• NOTHING BE SAID TO THE PRESS
    ABOUT A WOMAN CALLING AS THEY WOULD KNOW HER IDENTITY AND SHE
    WOULD BE KILLED

Nothing was said to the press, only the FBI.  We don't know if they tried to TRACE the call based on the time.  Was there any record of local calls in 1963 for police/FBI to trace?

• OSWALD’S FATHER AND UNCLE HAD LIVED AT SEVENTY SEVENTH AND SECOND (87th?)
    AVENUE, YORKVILLE, NYC

What do we think, if any, is the significance of this address?  While it used to be part of YORKVILLE, by the 50's it was no longer and was now part of LENOX HILLS in the Upper East Side....  (FWIW this was the most wealthy area of Manhattan comprised of the BANKERS and WALL STREET MEN as well as titans of industry who all supported the Bolshevik Revolution so the Western capitalistic and banking centers would have a strong and growing enemy in the East against which to loan their money to finance wars...)  I mention this as I believe there is a direct connection between what this woman is saying and the original group looking to overthrow FDR's government in the 30's.

Those making up this group and the people in that circle held never-ending wealth and influence.  It's no coincidence WWI and the FED RES ACT coincided. 

• THE WOMAN STATED KARDOS IS HEAD OF THE COMMUNISTS AND THAT THIS
    GROUP IN NEW YORK NOW HAS CHARTS AND MAPS.

GARDOS was NOT the head of the communists in NYC.   That article Paul posted was from Wisconsin, not NYC... in NYC Gardos was not all that well known.

From the HUAC 1949 trial including Gardos:

Mr. Malkin. I testified in Peters' deportation hearing and identified him in New York.
    Mr. Dekom. You identified him as what?
    Mr. Malkin: J. Peters was born in Hungary. He was active in the Hungarian revolution in 1919.
    Mr. Dekom. That was the Communist revolution?
    Mr. Malkin. That is right; under Bela Kun. He came to the United States with another person called Emil Gardos.

AND THIS IS IT !   Other than he and his wife listed for wanting visas, this is the only other reference to Emil Gardos in either book of transcripts

So, while this person has some factual data, she seems to be telling the story not knowing the whole story.... 

John - you have any info on AMY BLAIR, Grace's sister?  It seems to me one would have had to read that Wisconsin paper article to get the names GARDOS and BLAIR associated with "brother-in-law"... yet that article is written in 1949.  From the time Georgia Bell says Marge and son leave around Thanksgiving 1947, until the Bronx zoo photo... we have no location for Harvey Oswald... except for in the TARRANT COUNTY school records:

Believe it or not, the TARRANT books skip 1946-47.  There is nothing for Oswald in the 1944-45 or 45-46 sections...

'47-'48 with NANCY LEE OSWALD who has HARVEY's 1948-49 birthday and who first gets crossed out in 48/49 and then TED L OSWALT is listed next (Ted L has been there all along)

1667833118_NancyLeeandHARVEYOSWALDlivingat15058thFtWorthgotoschoolin1947-NotBenbrookSchool.jpg.0ed6673b2e580e542b2756e587cd066c.jpg

in '48-'49 (above and below) - yet we were told that Marge used 7/19/39 as Lee's Bdate to get him into school BACK IN 1945 !

1913723023_48-49schoolyearlistingHARVEYandNANCYOSWALDwithMargueriteEkdahl-SMALL.jpg.cbf2d7bce43b483448887de1e236e75d.jpg

This is for the '49-'50 school year....  Lee was born Oct 18, not 19... right? and when did they change his birthdate from 7/9/39 to 10/19?

803594796_49-50schoolyearshowsHARVEYOSWALDwithMargeyetROBERTOSWALDwithROBERTOSWALDfather-SMALL.jpg.a85793a6b3224bba1fceb1611aba7de9.jpg

And 51-52... this is YEARS after their divorce... 

767242735_51-52HARVEYOSWALDwithMargeEkdahl-cropped.jpg.81ea6bbb40640ec96d73ef2a7ea1e6d7.jpg

According to TARRANT COUNTY, there never was a boy named LEE OSWALD attending any of their schools...

?????

David said,

"John - I think what Jim means is that Fred Blair was not the Uncle... he was considered the brother-in-law.. Emil's brother-in-law in this case, which would also make Emil's brother - the uncle, a brother-in-law.... and brother-in-law to Emil's sisters as well."

This is just a slight misunderstanding probably due to my lack of clarity.  If you take the words "Hungarians and Communists" literally it excludes Fred Blair as the uncle.  Fred Blair was not Hungarian.

If you apply the words "Hungarian and Communists" to Oswald's father and uncle it excludes Emil Gardos.  The exclusion of Gardos is due to there being no known brothers or sisters of Gardos in the records.  If taken literally then there is a need to look further for Lee Harvey Oswald's uncle and father.

If you make a looser interpretation based on the mysterious caller speaking broadly as just a general reference then Blair and the Gardos can apply as father, uncle, and brother inlaw.

David said,

"SHE COULD NOT GIVE HER NAME AS SHE WAS AFRAID OF BEING KILLED,
THAT SHE WAS FROM NEW YORK AND HAD TO COME "HERE" TO MAKE THE
CALL SO THAT SHE COULD NOT BE TRACED

Communists do not trace phone calls... the FBI does, the police does, the "government" does."

I agree.  But, there is the possibility of the FBI, the police, or other government agencies being compromised by communist infiltrators who would pass this information on to higher levels of the CPUSA.  SMERSH was still active up to about 1946.  It was replaced by other Soviet agencies that carried on the task of investigating and at times eliminating traitors, defectors, and deserters.  I would suspect this was still going on by 1963.  The mysterious caller probably feared the Soviets, the FBI, the CIA, the New York Police. 

David said,

"OSWALD’S FATHER AND UNCLE HAD LIVED AT SEVENTY SEVENTH AND SECOND (87th?)
AVENUE, YORKVILLE, NYC

What do we think, if any, is the significance of this address?  While it used to be part of YORKVILLE, by the 50's it was no longer and was now part of LENOX HILLS in the Upper East Side.... "

77th Street and 2nd Avenue is a location not an address.  That reference covers the whole block from 2nd Ave to 3rd Ave going east.  One needs a building number to have an address.

77th-street-and-2nd-ave-nyc.jpg

Somewhere in this area is the place that the father and uncle of Oswald lived according to the mysterious caller.  There are people living there in 1945-1947 that can be related to Emil Gardos, Grace Gardos, Fred Blair, Louis Weinstock, and Louis Budenz.  Louis Budenz was the editor of the Daily Worker before he became anti-communist.  I will develop this more in a later post by speaking about Helen Levi Simon Travis.

David said,

"John - you have any info on AMY BLAIR, Grace's sister?  It seems to me one would have had to read that Wisconsin paper article to get the names GARDOS and BLAIR associated with "brother-in-law"... yet that article is written in 1949.  From the time Georgia Bell says Marge and son leave around Thanksgiving 1947, until the Bronx zoo photo... we have no location for Harvey Oswald... except for in the TARRANT COUNTY school records:

Believe it or not, the TARRANT books skip 1946-47.  There is nothing for Oswald in the 1944-45 or 45-46 sections...

'47-'48 with NANCY LEE OSWALD who has HARVEY's 1948-49 birthday and who first gets crossed out in 48/49 and then TED L OSWALT is listed next (Ted L has been there all along)"

There being nothing for Harvey Oswald in the 1944-45 or 45-46 may be a good sign that Harvey Oswald had not yet been selected for doubling with Lee Oswald. 

I don't have anything on Amy Blair.  One could associate Gardos and Fred Blair if one reads what the mysterious caller said in a not so literal manner.  The loose interpretation connects Hungarians, communists, uncle, father with the later reference to father and brother in law.

Which way is best is still debatable.  I lean toward the looser interpretation because it also connects other things such as the location 77th Street and 2nd Ave.

David said,

"THE WOMAN STATED KARDOS IS HEAD OF THE COMMUNISTS AND THAT THIS
GROUP IN NEW YORK NOW HAS CHARTS AND MAPS.

GARDOS was NOT the head of the communists in NYC.   That article Paul posted was from Wisconsin, not NYC... in NYC Gardos was not all that well known."

I agree with Gardos not being the head of the communists in NYC.  Fred Blair and Louis Weinstock were Directors in the National Committee of the CPUSA.  I also believe that Gardos was also on the National Committee, but can't really say that since I need to find that reference again.  Emil Gardos and J. Peters (Sandor Goldberg) were alleged to be Russian agents with the NKVD when they left Hungary directly after the failed communist revolution in 1919.  Supposedly Gardos and J. Peters came to the US at the same time.  Another reference has J. Peters coming in 1924.  As far as Gardos being head of the CPUSA you would have to consider his status as a NKVD agent reporting directly to Moscow.  His connection to Fred puts him in the upper hierarchy of the CPUSA in New York.   

Again, if you take a loose interpretation Emil Gardos could be considered "head of the communists" in Yorkville.  This is where he and Grace lived for many years.  The Yorkville Club was the main organization for communists in Yorkville.  It was conveniently located near 77th Street and 2nd Ave at 350 East 80th Street.  This was just across the block from Helen Levi Simon.  She connects to a lot of people, particularly big time spies such as Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, Whittaker Chambers, and was looked into as being connected to the assassination of Leon Trotsky in Mexico in 1940.

Because you can look at what was said in the Tippit Call doc in different ways it might suggest that the mysterious caller did not know everything or had forgotten relevant things and was speaking generally based on her memory of events that could stretch back to 1945-1947.  This notion might suggest that the mysterious caller had a momentary memory lapse, perhaps from stress, and forgotten the uncle's name (Fred Blair).  And, she tried to convey who that was by saying and repeating the words brother in law. 

Good catch on the Oct. 19, 1939 birth date.  It implies the short Marguerite as filling in that data.  She often made mistakes with historical information.

This is not really a counter to some of your statements.  They stand as sound reasoning.  I'm just trying to fill in data around your statements for clarity purposes and offering a different interpretation for some things.

Edited by John Butler

I think we'd all agree that the surest way to make 2 people look like one is to create a single historical record...

Of course Lee and family are on 8th street....

Personally I don't believe the images from San Saba are of Harvey, but of Lee and mom and Pic at some point when going to collect rent or simply check on the property....

So PIC not knowing nothin' 'bout San Saba is a simple lie to cover for "something" he thought may have been going on there... yet his testimony specifically mentions 2 Benbrook homes...

Since there are no Tarrant records for 46-47 where do we get the info LEE attended school in Benbrook?

(side note:  Can you name the investigation of ANYONE in the league of Lee Oswald that had such concern over the state of mind of the assassin at age 5, 6 & 7??? as to need their elementary school records?  This just screams "BS coverup" to me at least...)

CE1874  

Dallas, Texas April 3, 1964

LEEE HARVEY OSWALD

By letter dated March 20, 1964, the President's Commission requested that investigation be Conducted Concerning LEE HARVEY OSWALD's possible attendance at a day nursery in Dallas, Texas, during the School Year 1944 - 1945, in an effort to obtain school records and information from individuals who recalled LEE HARVEY OSWALD's personality, interests and abilities .

The President's Commission also advised that ROBERT OSWALD had testified before the President's Commission that LEE HARVEY OSWALD had attended elementary school in Benbrook, Texas, during 1946 and 1947 it we requested that in obtaining information concerning LEE HARVEY OSWALD that efforts be made to obtain information concerning his brother, ROBERT LEE OSWALD, JR., and his half-brother, JOHN EDWARD PIC .

The WCR CE1873 betrays once again the 2 Oswalds....  Like NYC, a child is supposedly gets a SINGLE, PERMANENT CUMULATIVE RECORD CARD

This final card (image 3 below "page 4" ) was obviously created after the fact, possibly by the FBI, and contains quite a few bad mistakes....

Here is a composite of the 3 different PERM CUMUL RECORDS... 

The top record is 1873-B  

Despite having the same "DATE OF ENTRY" as 1-27-47...  record #1 on the card with only 1 line on it does not match the inverted record from the PERM CARD for the same year...
Record #2 shows a staring "DATE OF ENTRY" as 9-9-47 thru 3-19-48 when he transfers to School #18 GEORGE C CLARK  -  again it is obvious the 2 records are different AND that the PERM RECORD #3 does not include any #18 GEORGE C CLARK school info.    While going to GEORGE C CLARK they supposedly were living at 3300 WILLING... before they move to EWING... yet once again, card #3 only offers 8th street and EWING....  it's as if 1947-48 just never happened.  Line 3 of records #3 ENTERING 9-5-48 ARLINGTON HEIGHTS ELEM... This school changed its name to SOUTH HI MOUNT and is literally 3 blocks from 2220 THOMAS....

Whereas if they actually lived at 3300 WILLING, little Oswald would attend GEORGE C CLARK - the only school with a separate listing and still connected to 8th street and not Willing,,,

On the PERM Record #2 we SHOULD SEE the addition of 3300 Willing and on Record #3 it most certainly should be before EWING...

926848514_FtWorthElementarySchool3CUMULATIVERECORDSlikeNYC.thumb.jpg.ca40f03db742c1e064e90c20b134fc81.jpg

This was sent to the TEXAS AG, WAGGONER CARR by Ft Worth's V. T. Sommers via CATO HIGHTOWER Chief of Ft Worth Police

This recap seems to disregard the actual Lee Oswald starting in September 1947 (bottom CUMULATIVE RECORD) which only has the move from Lily B Clayton to George C Clark.
One has to wonder why this 2nd grade record for the '46-'47 school year is on a different PERMANENT CARD and then does not continue on the Final one..

img_10773_11_300.png

img_10773_6_300.png

img_10773_7_300.png

DJ,

Thank you for your hard work on these elementary school records.  This could be important new research clearly suggesting the forgery of school records for Oswald, but I’m having a few difficulties following your presentation, and I wondered if you could help me understand just one small part of it.

Let’s look at image 1, showing us Oswald’s record for the term beginning 1/27/47 on the top row and comparing it to what should be the same data from his cumulative record (image 3) shown in reverse on the second row.  There are some obvious differences, but….

Are we comparing apples to apples?  Let’s look at the first three headings after “DATE OF ENTRY” from the top grade rows of images 1 and 3.  For image 1, those headings appear to be: School, Grade, and Days Present.  For image 3, the headings are: School, Grade, and Room.  Already, the third element is completely different, suggestion one row cannot be pasted directly underneath another with an expectation of the data being identical.

Another example concerns Oswald’s grades in health and phys ed.  Both the term data on the top line of image 1 and the cumulative record in image 3 show that Oswald received an A in both subjects,  But image 1 suggests they are different because the columns simply do not line up.

I do believe you may be on to something important here, but your graphical presentation, as far as I can tell tonight, doesn’t yet prove it, at least to me, although it is true that there are eight Bs listed on the top line of image 1 and nine Bs on the line beneath it.   Can you make the distinctions you are drawing a bit clearer.

Thanks again for your work on this. 

On January 27, 1947 Edwin Ekdahl was not even in the picture....  yet he is listed in this single-record CUMULATIVE document as "Father Name" with no mother???  Marge did all this kind of stuff... usually not the men dealing with school registration....

In the OTHER CUMULATIVE record it starts 9-9-47 AFTER they were married, but shows Ekdahl as deceased....  he didn't die until 1953.  Who goes back to an Elementary school CUMULATIVE record to add "(deceased)"...  to me this just screams FBI alteration...  And the fact Marge asks for and gets her name OSWALD back (instead of Claverie her actual maiden name ???) yet is listed as EKDAHL on the TARRANT COUNTY SCHOOL RECORDS also seems out of place....

The 12 man jury ruled in favor of the plaintiff on June 24, 1948, but awarded Marguerite 250 USD in attorney fees, and 1500 USD additional compensation. Oswald was granted her previous name, and ordered to pay court costs.

Jim - I took what you said and looked more carefully...  whoever copied this was paying much attention either... Room 193 becomes 193 days Present, 87 days present becomes 87 days absent... A 280 day school year... nice.  And of course the obvious 2 different forms

1338629481_1stgrade-2differentcumulativerecordcards.jpg.bac9cb00910a066005a86d874d0b90bb.jpg

Finally, the fact is the on card which starts with 9-9-47 and 2nd grade isn't on his permanent record... and if there was some change that needed Oswald to start a new card after 1st grade, why doesn't it just continue on this new card...   add to this the strange tale of Robert claiming Lee/Edwin/Marge go to Boston for 6 months in the winter of 45...

Robert Oswald:

And they had during the winter of 1945 gone to Boston, where they stayed, I would say, for approximately 6 months. I understand Mr. Ekdahl had been married and had a son by a prior marriage, and they had lived together, all of them -
Lee, my mother, Mr. Ekdahl, and his son-in Boston. But that he was on the road quite a bit.

Mr. JENNER. I see. Following their living for 6 months in Boston, where did they live thereafter, during that period of time, until the divorce?
Mr. OSWALD. I believe after they left Massachusetts, they moved to Benbrook, Tex., and resided at Benbrook, Tex

Robert refers to this as the native stone home… so this must be on Granbury…. Bought in the spring of 1946 – per Robert. 

We have them RENTING Granbury in Sept 1945, BEFORE the WINTER TRIP TO BOSTON  

Mr. OSWALD. This particular house I refer to, a native stone home

Could Robert really be that far off?  The go to BOSTON after dropping off Robert and John at Chamberlain

On 1/7/2020 at 5:59 AM, Jim Hargrove said:

If the Deep Politics member finds he can't do this, please let me know.  I might be able to get to Madison sometime also.

Everyone:

Link below is the finding aid for the Blair papers. Can you let me know which ones you want copied of and I will ask them for an estimate. If the cost is too high we can always wait until February or for when Jim will have time to go there.

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi/f/findaid/findaid-idx?c=wiarchives;cc=wiarchives;view=text;rgn=main;didno=uw-whs-mss00234

15 hours ago, John Kowalski said:

Everyone:

Link below is the finding aid for the Blair papers. Can you let me know which ones you want copied of and I will ask them for an estimate. If the cost is too high we can always wait until February or for when Jim will have time to go there.

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi/f/findaid/findaid-idx?c=wiarchives;cc=wiarchives;view=text;rgn=main;didno=uw-whs-mss00234

John,

Thank you for this detailed information.  I had no idea the papers were so well organized.

Looks to me like someone would need to look through a total of 6 folders:

Correspondence with Gardos, Grace Blair & Emil (Box 5, Folder 2)

and 5 others Correspondence Folders: (Box 1, Folders 2-4; Box 4 Folders 3A-3B)

If there is still an active curator of this material, perhaps we could describe what we are looking for and seek guidance.  Otherwise, it would probably be pretty expensive to get all this material copied and a personal visit would be in order.

Thanks again! 

Jim,

I'm really sick of reading about communist activities.  But, will persevere.  We are looking for people who are connected to 77th Street and 2nd Ave.  Lautner is certainly one as a top communist in NYC and also an FBI informant.  He knew all of the cast of the Tippit Phone Call.  Probably was instrumental in the deportation of Emil Gardos and the attempt to deport Louis Weinstock.  He did help put Weinstock in jail.

john-lautner.jpg

This fellow might have been aware of FBI / OSS operations concerning Hungarian Immigrants.  His connection to 77th Street and 2nd Ave. is the Yorkville Club and Helen Levi Simon who live at 350 77th Street and 2nd Ave which was fairly close to the Yorkville Club at 350 East 80th Street.  Helen was a writer for the Daily Worker and a member of the spy ring that featured Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.  She knew Ruby Weil who helped Frank Jacson infiltrate the Trotsky movement.  She was instrumental in trying to free Frank Jacson, the killer of Leon Trotsky.

Edited by John Butler

Helen Levi Simon Travis

Helen Levi.  Helen Levi Simon, alias Maxine Levi.  Helen Levi Travis.

The Tippit Phone Call document identifies the location 77th Street and 2nd Ave. as the location where the father and uncle of Lee Harvey Oswald lived.  The document does not identify an address which needs a building number.  So, this location covers East 77th Street from 2nd Ave. to 3rd Ave. There is a significant number of people living on the average New York block. 

There are on the average today:

So how many people are there on a typical block? We couldn't find any hard numbers, but we did find thoughtful estimates. Perhaps 10,000 on a densely populated residential block that has three or more high rise apartment buildings. The same holds for a commercial block, although that shrinks significantly at night. The average would be 1,400 people per block. (based on 4 million people and 2,872 blocks) And if you're not tired of numbers, here's one more...there are 175,000 people per square mile in Manhattan during the day.”

Looking at these numbers suggests it will be difficult to find someone living in that area that knew something about Lee Harvey Oswald and his father and Uncle as indicated by the Tippit phone call.  The numbers can be narrowed to the 342 members of the Yorkville Club, the organization for communists who lived from 49th Street to 96th Street.  There were 342 members of which many lived in the area near 77th Street and 2nd Ave.

There are no records for Harvey Oswald prior to the school year 1947-1948.  This implies that he had not yet been selected as a double for Lee Harvey Oswald.  The provenance of Harvey Oswald is mysterious and the only clue to an origin for Harvey Oswald is the FBI Tippit Phone Call document prior to school records in Texas from 1947-1948.  The creditability of the information contained in the document is problematic.  Some things may be true and others questionable. 

So, from the FBI document one should look for Harvey’s father and uncle in the years 1945-1947 in the area of 77th and 2nd Ave in NYC. Information from Harvey’s unknown family and Lee’s family is insufficient to establish any relationships to help identify Harvey Oswald’s orgins.

If one takes a literal, unquestioning view of the document then the father and uncle of Harvey Oswald are not Emil Gardos and Fred Blair.  However, an alternative view does connect the uncle and father of Harvey Oswald to Emil Gardos, Grace Gardos, and Fred Blair and the location 77th Street and 2nd Ave.  Information from a Gardos family member indicates that Emil and Grace Gardos were not the parents of Harvey Oswald.

The FBI document says the uncle and father were “Hungarians and Communists”.  So, a search for Hungarians and Communists in the location 77th Street and 2nd Ave. in the years prior to 1947-48 is logical.

From the book Communist Underground Printing and Illegal Propaganda:  Hearings  we can find a number of Hungarian communists in that area and in areas close to 77th Street and 2nd Ave. in the years 1945-1947. 

The following Hungarian communists were living there during the years 1945-1947:

Helen Levi Simon- 350 East 77th Street and 2nd Ave.

Lou and Estelle Weber (real name Oringer)- 325 East 77th Street and 2nd Ave.

William and Sonia Arnett- 215 East 77th Street and 2nd Ave.

There are probably more, but not listed.  The dominant communist organization was the Yorkville Club.  This covered a district from 49th Street to 96th Street.  Its membership was 342 people.

I was not able to find any information for William and Sonia Arnett.  The parents of Louis Weber were Hungarians.  There is no information other then Census data on Louis and Estelle Weber.

However, there is information on Helen Levi.  Helen’s parents were German.  She married Abbott Simon in 1938.  Abbott’s parents were from a part of Poland that was a part of Russia.  They spoke Polish, Russian, and Yiddish.  Simon was involved in the 44 day strike in Flint, Michigan involving General Motors.

Helen Levi Simon was a reporter for the Daily Worker during this time period.  The Daily Worker at it’s peak had a subscription of 35,000, but on average of about 17000.  How many papers were sold on the street is unknown.  Whatever, the number of papers sold the Daily Worker was a small paper whose income was probably bolstered by the CPUSA and directly from Russia.  Morris Child in his activities as a Soviet agent delivered something like 28 million dollars from Moscow for CPUSA operations.

Helen was an active communist agent and probably knew all of the communist activities that went on at 77th Street and 2nd Ave.  She was a member of a spy ring that included Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.  She was instrumental in delivering money to Mexico to free Frank Jacson, the killer of Leon Trotsky.  When questioned about these activities in the late 1930s she answered all questions with the 5th Amendment.

Although guilty as charged, it is interesting to note she, as far as I know, was never charged or jailed.

I do not think Helen was the mysterious caller or involved in any OSS operations.  She was a dedicated communist.  But, someone like her is who we are looking at for knowledge of 77th Street in the mid 1940s.

Edited by John Butler

Louis Budenz was the editor of the Daily Worker at the time Helen Levi Simon, known as the writer Maxine Levi, was working there.  Below is an interesting photo of Louis Budenz.  I'm sure any resemblance to Harvey Oswald is coincidental and illusionary.  When you compare photos there is hardly any resemblance at all.

louis-budenz.jpg

Edited by John Butler

Edwin Albert Ekdahl lived in NYC when he died on January 26, 1953... - could the Tippit caller think HE WAS OSWALD's FATHER?

And to bring this around to FRED KORTH again....  Not only was he EKDAHL's lawyer of record in the divorce and somehow involved with Lee's life...
In 1956,  his sister and her husband release a deed of trust..  for land Ekdahl owned in Ft Worth...  I believe he is at the WORTH HOTEL here... so his sister either comes to visit or he simply writes in her name as witness...

More importantly is the ongoing relationship with FRED KORTH who is Trustee for Edwin A Ekdahl.....

483439816_FredKorth-TrusteeforEdwinEkdahl-smaller.jpg.5cb6afac054e77ff118418633096a4ac.jpg

Also of note re: EKDAHL is the lack of mention of his first wife Rasmine in his will.... (I believe)...  An FBI report claims a search for the divorce decree for Ekdahl's marriage to Rasmine has never turned up... (bottom image)

Here is the actual will as recorded by Tarrant County at the time of creation (Dated February 10, 1947 yet changed to May 10, 1947)...
The divorce was final June 15, 1948... a little more than a week later Ekdahl cuts Marge out of the will....

747335322_EkdahlcrossesoutMargewitnessedbysisterElviraLarsen-smaller.jpg.26618f38ec52e678b838332091e72732.jpg

"All that can be ascertained about the dissolution of his first marriage is that he "separated" from Rasmine around 1941-1942. The FBI specifically sought to find a divorce decree in the Boston area for Ekdahl, presumably from Rasmine, but found none.  "  - The Strange Case of Edwin Ekdahl

img_11535_2_300.png

2 hours ago, John Butler said:

Louis Budenz was the editor of the Daily Worker at the time Helen Levi Simon, known as the writer Maxine Levi, was working there.  Below is an interesting photo of Louis Budenz.  I'm sure any resemblance to Harvey Oswald is coincidental and illusionary.  When you compare photos there is hardly any resemblance at all.

louis-budenz.jpg

Honestly John, I really don't see any physical resemblance to our "Oswald" (Harvey) other than facial expression.

However, your post prompted me to take a look at this "professional xxxx" (in Linus Pauling's words) a bit more closely. Budenz was, as you know, a longtime FBI informant, one whom testified that he made $70,000 as a witness in 1953!

It was Budenz's allegations about reds in government that made its way to Joseph McCarthy. What does strike me though is the similarity of language used by both the mysterious woman caller and Budenz when describing the goals of the Communists:

"Uncover a red doing his stuff on a college faculty and a hue and cry is raised over ‘academic freedom,’ as though these people had a God-given right to infect our children with their made-in-Moscow virus….We should understand that this ’cause of peace’ as peddled by the reds is the destruction of the government of the United States.

-Louis Budenz, November 1951.

This suggests to me that our woman caller shared Budenz's general outlook (paranoia?), regardless of whether she and he had any social or professional connection. 

Further, Louis Budenz and Elizabeth Bentley were both paid FBI informers (and both testified before Congress) as former Communists. They both shared the same outlook on the communist threat with the mysterious woman caller. Now, I seriously doubt that Elizabeth Bentley could be mistaken for speaking with an eastern European accent, so I don't think she is a viable candidate to be the mysterious woman caller herself. (Bentley did speak French and Italian, but neither language was mentioned by Mrs. Jack Tippit.)

However, here is a tantalizing clue that Elizabeth Bentley and the mysterious woman caller just might have known each other:

On December 3, 1963, three days after the mysterious local phone call by the unknown woman from New Haven Connecticut, the ex-commie-turned-professional- anti-commie-stooge Elizabeth Bentley died of abdominal cancer . . .

in Grace New Haven Hospital, in New Haven, Connecticut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Bentley

Edited by Paul Jolliffe

1 hour ago, David Josephs said:

Edwin Albert Ekdahl lived in NYC when he died on January 26, 1953... - could the Tippit caller think HE WAS OSWALD's FATHER?

And to bring this around to FRED KORTH again....  Not only was he EKDAHL's lawyer of record in the divorce and somehow involved with Lee's life...
In 1956,  his sister and her husband release a deed of trust..  for land Ekdahl owned in Ft Worth...  I believe he is at the WORTH HOTEL here... so his sister either comes to visit or he simply writes in her name as witness...

More importantly is the ongoing relationship with FRED KORTH who is Trustee for Edwin A Ekdahl.....

483439816_FredKorth-TrusteeforEdwinEkdahl-smaller.jpg.5cb6afac054e77ff118418633096a4ac.jpg

Also of note re: EKDAHL is the lack of mention of his first wife Rasmine in his will.... (I believe)...  An FBI report claims a search for the divorce decree for Ekdahl's marriage to Rasmine has never turned up... (bottom image)

Here is the actual will as recorded by Tarrant County at the time of creation (Dated February 10, 1947 yet changed to May 10, 1947)...
The divorce was final June 15, 1948... a little more than a week later Ekdahl cuts Marge out of the will....

747335322_EkdahlcrossesoutMargewitnessedbysisterElviraLarsen-smaller.jpg.26618f38ec52e678b838332091e72732.jpg

"All that can be ascertained about the dissolution of his first marriage is that he "separated" from Rasmine around 1941-1942. The FBI specifically sought to find a divorce decree in the Boston area for Ekdahl, presumably from Rasmine, but found none.  "  - The Strange Case of Edwin Ekdahl

img_11535_2_300.png

Hmm. 

Thanks for posting this, David. Was the FBI hinting that Ekdahl may have been a bigamist?

After all, if everything was above board, then the divorce records should have been found in the county in which it took place. Yet they were not there.

If Edwin and Rasmine Ekdahl never legally divorced, then his subsequent marriage to Marguerite Claverie Pic Oswald was null and void. Massachusetts does not recognize a second simultaneous marriage as valid. 

Yet, I doubt that - Ekdahl went through the expense and trouble of hiring Fred Korth to represent him at the 1948 divorce proceeding. 

So, is it possible that Edwin and Rasmine Ekdahl never legally married? (And therefore, never divorced?) (And therefore, she got nothing in the will?)

I dunno.

David, as to your question about whether our mysterious woman caller might have mistakenly assumed that Ekdahl was "Oswald's" father in 1953, well I doubt that, too. The woman caller might have known (we hope) the "Oswald" from Yorkville, but not the Lee Oswald from Texas. Yet Ekdahl married the mother of the Lee Oswald from Texas, not the "mother" of the boy from Yorkville.

We have no connection between Ekdahl and our "Oswald" (Harvey), either in NYC or elsewhere. The connection was between the real Lee Oswald and Ekdahl. Granted, both Ekdahl and Lee were in NYC for about five months between August of 1952 and January of 1953 (Ekdahl's death), but I can't imagine that the two of them together (even assuming they ever met under any circumstances that fall) would have engaged in anything that might have been mistaken for or remembered later as "Communist activity." The old guy was dying of a bad heart that fall, not hanging out with the youngest son of his ex-wife, a woman from whom he was bitterly divorced!

Edited by Paul Jolliffe

He married his first wife in China - she was from Denmark - both were living in Shanghai...  maybe that's why they can't find any documents?

The entire marriage to Marge - now that I look at documents and know much more about MIT graduate Ekdahl - seems like a scam....  he buys and sells land in Ft Worth as I have found a number of Deeds yet cannot pinpoint the location.

I also found the lease agreement between Marge Ekdahl and Buster Murray from August 1947....  while notarized, there are no names (see below)

Georgia Bell says that after short fat Marge and son leave around Thanksgiving 1947, no one lived at 101 San Saba. 
Otis Carleton buys 101 San Saba after his house burns down...  (see bottom image...  etux means "with spouse")

2040366041_EKDAHLfirstmarriageinChinatoDenmarknativeRasminaEmiliaHansen1925.thumb.jpg.5d88e17aea3a06336e56c241af701af7.jpg

2008814921_EMargeEkdahlandBusterMurrayLease-nonameslistedforNotarytoattestto.jpg.87d9bad9d46dc5d9bc251617b20bd227.jpg

1210981442_101SanSabaDeedCard-OCarletonbuysfromMEkdahl.jpg.0c336169e5d6162c03825cb5f6471668.jpg

On 1/9/2020 at 11:09 AM, David Josephs said:

Jim - I took what you said and looked more carefully...  whoever copied this was paying much attention either... Room 193 becomes 193 days Present, 87 days present becomes 87 days absent... A 280 day school year... nice.  And of course the obvious 2 different forms

1338629481_1stgrade-2differentcumulativerecordcards.jpg.bac9cb00910a066005a86d874d0b90bb.jpg

Finally, the fact is the on card which starts with 9-9-47 and 2nd grade isn't on his permanent record... and if there was some change that needed Oswald to start a new card after 1st grade, why doesn't it just continue on this new card...   add to this the strange tale of Robert claiming Lee/Edwin/Marge go to Boston for 6 months in the winter of 45...

David,

You raise some fascinating issues, but I wanted  to concentrate a little more on the term and cumulative fields from the Benbrook school records you showed immediately above.  My eyes aren’t so great, but it looks to me like 103 days present (not 193) on the record on the right above, and I can’t find Room 193. 

The field on the left in your illustration directly above appears to be the summary of a half school year (87 days present and 1 day absent = 88 days) whereas the record on the right appears to be a full year (103 day present and 87 days absent for a total of 190 days).  That’s a lot of absences!

I hope your line of research here bears fruit, because I couldn’t agree more that at least some of these school records are FBI forgeries.  Which makes me wonder....

My bet would be FBI agents were told to ask for blank forms of each of the documents they were collecting from schools and early employers of “Oswald.”    “Just for testing,” dontcha know.  However, some of these records at the time the FBI confiscated the originals were well over a decade old and, at least in some cases, the institutions surely no longer had existing blank forms matching the filled out items.

Perhaps we should be looking at these things with a microscope looking for indications that existing data was whited out so that new, improved data could be entered.  I’ll try to start doing that!

Again, thank you for this work.  My bet is this is the first time a serious researcher has looked into LHO records dating as far back as Benbrook since John A. did it a quarter century ago, without the benefit of a modern internet.  Please... keep it coming!