The Education Forum

The FBI Knew about David Ferrie on 11/22/63

I have done a lot of research on New Orleans.  I had never seen this document before.  The great Malcolm Blunt fished it out and Bart Kamp scanned it for me.

It is important because it shows that the FBI knew about Ferrie before Jim Garrison did.  And they were getting multiple leads from multiple sources on both him and Oswald.  And the infamous John Rice wanted to talk to Ferrie.

But then the New Orleans office decides to call Deke DeLoach.  That then spelled the end of any FBI inquiry into Ferrie.  But this all adds depth and texture to that famous announcement by the FBI when they let Ferrie go, that it was only the New Orleans DA who recommended it.  Because as the second document shows, the FBI let Ferrie lie his head off to them about everything--and then they let him go.

One of the stupidest and falsest things the late Vince Bugliosi ever said about the JFK case was that there was not a scintilla of evidence of an FBI cover up.  Like many other things he said about the Kennedy case, this was BS.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/the-fbi-knew-about-david-ferrie-on-11-22-63

Edited by James DiEugenio

In addition to the implications of what the FBI knew about Ferrie when, it's really interesting how quickly the interest on the local level in New Orleans was quashed when they contacted DeLoach.  Almost like someone at that level was made aware Ferrie was a CIA contract pilot.

On page 2 of 6 it's also of interest,

"8:45 AM Bill Manning, States Item, advised it was their understanding although they had no source for this that David Ferrie flew to Dallas on the day the president was assassinated, 11/22/63."

Why even mention it if there was no source?   Because it was important and there was one?  But it couldn't be cited for the reporters own safety?

What is being said here?   I think I remember hearing, but can't remember from who, about such an important subject, that I forgot where, from whom I heard it?  Ridiculous.  Remembered but forgotten?  

Edited by Ron Bulman

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

On page 2 of 6 it's also of interest,

"8:45 AM Bill Manning, States Item, advised it was their understanding although they had no source for this that David Ferrie flew to Dallas on the day the president was assassinated, 11/22/63."

Why even mention it if there was no source?   Because it was important and there was one?  But it couldn't be cited for the reporters own safety?

What is being said here?   I think I remember hearing, but can't remember from who, about such an important subject, that I forgot where, from whom I heard it?  Ridiculous.  Remembered but forgotten?  

Didn't Garrison interview the two young men that Ferrie drove to Houston and Galveston with, learning that this car trip originated in New Orleans? 

I could be in error, and even if correct the car trip doesn't preclude an earlier quick flight in and out of Dallas by Cap'n Dave.

Edited by David Andrews

Rich:

Can you produce the evidence that the FBI knew the above was a fact?

And I do not mean quoting from a trashy book by Ragano or John Davis. The HSCA did all it could to make Ferrie a pawn of Marcello, I mean all it could.  This is as far as they got in the regards to transporting  Marcello from Central America:

An unconfirmed Border Patrol report of February 1962 alleges that Ferrie was the pilot who flew Carlos Marcello back into the United States from Guatemala after he had been deported in April 1961

Knowing what the HSCA was up to with Ferrie, I would think if they could have written that the FBI knew such was a fact they would have done so.  Also, notice the lag time in the unconfirmed report by about 8 months.

In looking over at the Shaw trial testimony, it appears that the FBI was investigating Ferrie up until about the 29th.

Because, Mr. Rolland, the manager of the skating rink in Houston where Ferrie went with his two friends, said that the FBI interviewed him around that time.

This is all fascinating, especially in light of the announcement the Bureau went out of its way to make when they let Ferrie walk away: This was all the DA of New Orleans' idea, not ours we had nothing to do with it.

Yeah, sure.

Interesting ... memo to Mr. Belmont (with a copy to W. Sullivan).   We know what happened to those two in 1977, prior to talking with HSCA.  Donald Gibson had this to say about Belmont:

The review of the facts that follows shows that Alan Belmont, the number three man in the formal hierarchy of the FBI, was the primary official in charge of FBI activities following the assassination. It is Belmont, not Hoover, who ran the FBI cover-up.

Reports written by Sullivan and Angleton became the basis for the Warren Commission ... at the time of his death Sullivan was working on a book with journalist Bill Brown about his FBI experiences published posthumously in 1979. The book was highly critical of both Hoover and LBJ

Gene:

Did something happen to Belmont during the HSCA?

I was not aware of that.

BTW, I am going to be talking about this in Dallas next month. 

Thanks Ron, I was unaware of that.

BTW, I have decided to attend the CAPA conference next month and this is going to be my topic:

The FBI versus Jim Garrison.

Are you going Ron?

It might be interesting.