The Education Forum

Robert De Niro And Al Pacino Talk About JFK assassination

From Martin Scorsese says Marvel Movies are 'not cinema'

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/oct/04/martin-scorsese-says-marvel-movies-are-not-cinema

'Marvel head Kevin Feige last year defended his films against the kind of criticism levelled by Scorsese, saying that the series’s lack of major awards was no indication of a lack of quality or ambition.

' “Maybe it’s easy to dismiss VFX or flying people or spaceships or billion dollar grosses,” Feige said. “I think it is easy to say that you have already been awarded in a certain way. [Alfred] Hitchcock never won best director, so it’s very nice, but it doesn’t mean everything. I would much rather be in a room full of engaged fans.”

'Scorsese’s latest film, The Irishman, won rave reviews from its premiere at the New York film festival last weekend, with critics praising the use of “de-ageing” technology.'

The reason de-aging technology was necessary is because comic-book movies aren't producing acting talent as valuable as Pacino-De Niro-Pesci.

Scorsese went on to say that comic-book films are the equivalent of 'theme parks.'  You could turn that on its ear and say that mob shoot-em-ups are, in their way, theme park movies, and that The Irishman is a theme park film set in "Mob-Killed-Kennedy-Land."  But the acting realized within this historical genre is superior to that needed for the comic book genre, which has produced no talent greater than the formidable Margot Robbie (who can be explained by not being an American) and Robert Downey, Jr., (who went in already good).  Scorsese's being kind to the possibilities of the future by omitting this point.

When the cast and director of The Irishman are gone, much will be missed.  What are Scorsese's close competitors from the 1980s and 1990s doing in their senior years that's comparable?

Edited by David Andrews

I, for one, would love to see The Irishman Taco Bell cup!  I'll bet it acts better than the guy who plays Captain America.

It could have been worse: a few years ago DiCaprio was making noise about filming the Lamar Waldron book.

Edited by David Andrews