The Education Forum

Mark Zaid, JFK and Trump

James DiEugenio

2 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I believe that Biden has a good chance of taking Florida and that Sanders has none. Which means that Biden will quite possibly win the general election. That's the main reason I voted for him in the primary.

Yep.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

It's not because people blame the Chinese for Coronavirus that they've quit dining at Chinese restaurants. It's because they fear that Chinese restaurant employees are more likely than others to have been infected with the virus, given that they are more likely to have recently visited China.

I know that racism is still a big problem, but I wish people would consider other explanations first before fixating on racism.

IMO.

I take your point here about dividing group discrimination from racism, which is why I threw in the xenophobia tag.

If you Google "Asian Woman Attacked Wearing Mask," you will get reports of hooligans or other frustrated people attacking people over Coronavirus fears.  In England and Europe, some language used has crossed the line of "racism."  Here's a borderline case in NYC.  The border's always nearby in group issues, and the line of cars is long, but swift-moving:

https://www.newsweek.com/new-york-subway-attack-coronavirus-woman-mask-1485842

Edited by David Andrews

1 hour ago, Sandy Larsen said:

On the flip side of the coin....

I've lived most my life in Utah. I don't know about in the ski resorts here (I quit skiing decades ago), but down in the valley it's way different now than when I was growing up. As a kid, winters of perpetual snow on the ground -- often reaching 18" -- kept us entertained daily as we sled, tubed, and bizzed cars.

skitch-300x103.jpg
Car bizzing.

Now we usually don't have any snow accumulation in the valleys. It snows much less often, and when it does snow it usually melts by the next day.

Similar here in Colorado.  When I was growing up in Denver back in the 60s we used to go ice skating every winter on Denver's City Park Lake.  The city even had a small warming house down there for the ice skaters.   Nowadays the lakes in Denver rarely even freeze over and, when they do, the ice is too thin to skate on.  For me, it's the most dramatic personal experience of global warming during the past 60 years.

As for Biden, I agree that he has a better chance than Sanders of winning a number of critical swing states-- not only Florida, but North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.  ( I think he was born in Scranton.)  But I still voted for Bernie, mainly because of his strong, correct positions on single-payer healthcare, climate change mitigation, and pulling the plug on the Neocon "War on Terror."

Biden's historic stances on the Iraq War and on our military interventions in Libya, Syria, and Yemen were simply wrong.

45 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

I take your point here about dividing group discrimination from racism, which is why I threw in the xenophobia tag.

If you Google "Asian Woman Attacked Wearing Mask," you will get reports of hooligans or other frustrated people attacking people over Coronavirus fears.  In England and Europe, some language used has crossed the line of "racism."  Here's a borderline case in NYC.  The border's always nearby in group issues, and the line of cars is long, but swift-moving:

https://www.newsweek.com/new-york-subway-attack-coronavirus-woman-mask-1485842

David,

My remark was meant to be in response to the article whose link you posted, not to your comments. I was distracted in the middle of writing my post and forgot to insert the following qualifier:

Regarding the article, whose subtitle is "No one is coming [to our restaurant] because people blame the Chinese for the outbreak" ....

My apologies.

More on the Coronavirus threat to cinemas:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/mar/06/cinema-coronavirus-projected-5bn-loss

"MGM’s decision to delay the release of the Bond film was applauded by many, despite a potential $50m bill to cover logistics – as well as costs and share falls for the many sponsors whose tie-in campaigns have already begun.

"Momentum was built by the release of Billie Eilish’s theme song last month, as well as a $4.5m Super Bowl advert, that will be chalked up to long-lead brand awareness. Had MGM stuck to its original date, estimates suggest that there would be a minimum 30% reduction to a global box-office take that was anticipated to top $1bn."

I believe its like  Trump says, "the virus will go away in April when the sun comes out".  And when that happens , the real significance of Jims Mark Zaid piece  will come apparent and then they'll be no stopping it as a news story. I have no doubt Jim's story will supplant this silly virus story and become the 2020 news story of the year and win Jim a Pulitzer Prize!!

You ever wonder why Robert hasn't made the connection yet that the "Deep State" concocted the Corona virus to tank Trump's Presidency?  Well sometimes people just need a little persuasion. Get on it , Robert!
Edited by Kirk Gallaway

22 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

I came here to discuss Mark Zaid Dammit! Not global cooling or Sean Connery or even the comely Senator Warren. In any case, who among us has never gone to Disneyland by themselves and posed with a bunch of Disney characters? 

Cant a single adult male with no kids just mosey around the Park for a few days without being called creepy. Mark Zaid, American hero.

188D3A28-7D6A-4113-A47E-2E718E71D3CB.jpeg

Have to admit it. That's hysterical!

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Similar here in Colorado.  When I was growing up in Denver back in the 60s we used to go ice skating every winter on Denver's City Park Lake.  The city even had a small warming house down there for the ice skaters.   Nowadays the lakes in Denver rarely even freeze over and, when they do, the ice is too thin to skate on.  For me, it's the most dramatic personal experience of global warming during the past 60 years.

As for Biden, I agree that he has a better chance than Sanders of winning a number of critical swing states-- not only Florida, but North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.  ( I think he was born in Scranton.)  But I still voted for Bernie, mainly because of his strong, correct positions on single-payer healthcare, climate change mitigation, and pulling the plug on the Neocon "War on Terror."

Biden's historic stances on the Iraq War and on our military interventions in Libya, Syria, and Yemen were simply wrong.

I remember a new sled for Christmas in 63 or 64 in Denver.  Sledding in the street, at the park,  on a mountain with dad.  Also Dad chopping ice on the tank (pond) for the cows in north Texas in 1980, skating on coke cans.  Hasn't frozen that hard since.  Snow in Summit County and at Wolf Creek are still a blessing I only dream of partaking in.  But global warming is real.

How about starting a new Mark Zaid/JFK/Trump thread and insisting contributing posters stay on that one single subject?

This thread has admittedly become quite compromised and scattered, yet many members posting here have expressed their enjoyment appreciation for this one (just one) open, current event relief thread besides the more serious JFK research mission ones.

My apologies to those who feel upset by this off-JFK-topic thread but I would still like to share some observations about Americans now hesitating going to Chinese restaurants.

I live on the Northern California Coast. 1 1/2 hours drive to the Bay Area from the South.

San Francisco's most numerous ethnic group is Chinese. That's hundreds of thousands.

We must have one or two thousand Chinese restaurants in just the Bay Area alone. We have 12 within 5 miles from our home 90 miles South of San Jose.

Just took out food from one of them last night.

One of my best friends is Chinese. He has a large extended family living mostly in San Francisco with some in the South Bay.

My friend and his family and extended family regularly travel to China about once or twice a year to visit even more family.

My friend's wife just went to Canton in the middle of last December. His sister-in-law went there too and came back in January.

Tens of thousands of Chinese Americans fly back and forth to China from California all the time and have done so for many years. 

Many new immigrants from China take jobs in Chinese restaurants here in Calif.

Most Chinese/Americans who own Chinese Restaurants have huge extended families here and back in China. They get together often. They fly to China often.

I am just now considering not going to our Chinese restaurants for awhile out of pure common sense caution because of these facts.

I grew up with Chinese American kids. I am friends with several now in my old age.

I love so much about them. Their honesty, morality, work ethic, self-respect, family and friend loyalty, their respect for the law and even their appreciation for the opportunities given them here in our country.

Cutting back on going to Chinese restaurants for the immediate future will be hard for them.

However, I am sure they will not take this business downturn personally. They understand the reality of the fear sweeping our West Coast states right now about this new virus.

13 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Corona-noia now reaching idiotic, Andromeda Strain proportions, reflecting fear of more than disease.  Like one of those movies they used to call symptomatic of modern life.

No SXSW in Austin this year:

https://slate.com/technology/2020/03/sxsw-canceled-coronavirus-austin.html

Good idea considering if half what they say might be true better to err for caution?

Edited by Ron Bulman

Why would Biden be any stronger a candidate against Trump than HRC?

IMO, in a debate, Trump will KO Biden on Iraq and Afghanistan.  Just like he did Jeb Bush. Biden would also be vulnerable on NAFTA.

What is weakening Trump is the coronavirus.

Edited by James DiEugenio

James Howard Kunstler wrote today in his column:

There’s a possibility that Corona Virus might interfere with the election itself. Viral contagions are known to work in waves. If this is the first wave now, then a second wave would arrive just about in time for election day, November 3. Second wave viral diseases can be more virulent than the first wave, which was the case with the so-called Spanish flu of 1918. And what if a substantial portion of voters don’t dare venture into public places full of their possibly infectious fellow citizens? Would Mr. Trump be forced to postpone the election, fulfilling his enemies’ fantasy that he seeks to become the American Caesar? It’s not a pretty picture from here as things get interesting.