The Education Forum

Mark Zaid, JFK and Trump

James DiEugenio

From what I can see, Trump reacted slowly because he was blindsided and then was in denial. 

His fandom, like Fox News, rushed to his aid and tried to make the virus a political ploy.

The DJIA is now under 20,000.

Trump is finally using national defense laws in order to manufacture more masks and he is finally sending Navy hospital ships to NYC.  He should also send them to Washington, along with a team of epidemiologists, in order to find out why it broke out there.

BTW, the Chinese actually built more hospitals in order to treat all the victims.

Edited by James DiEugenio

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, that is not what I meant by political ploy.

Fox was trying to say the Democrats were using the virus because Schiff could  not impeach Trump.  This is immortalized forever in Trish Regan's nutty spiel, which was as bad as Chris Matthews' tirades against those who don't buy the Warren Commission.

https://tvline.com/2020/03/14/trish-regan-primetime-hiatus-cancelled-fox-business-coronavirus-rant/

As far as it being man made, I have not seen the evidence for that yet.  But if that is the case I don't see how that is a determinant of Trump's very slow rise to action.

From the article link on Trish Regan's spiel, posted by Jim:

'While a graphic reading, “Coronavirus Impeachment Hoax” flashed on screen, Regan claimed Democrats were causing “mass hysteria to encourage a market sell-off” and sparking fear and panic about the virus in order “to demonize and destroy the president.” '

I don't watch Fox.  Does Trish Regan, herself, have producer's credit on her show?  Could she authorize the control room techs to create and run a banner graphic reading, “Coronavirus Impeachment Hoax” on the screen, under her commentary?  Does she write her own commentary? 

I question whether there were more minds at work on this than Regan's.  She may have been sold out by the upper levels of Fox in order to get this propaganda on the air with plausible deniability, plus create all the follow-up press (such as this article) that furthers the message.  Fox viewers: "It must be true, because they're denying it left and right..."

Edited by David Andrews

Trump's stock market drops below 20,000. Drops below what Obama left Trump.

We are trying to unload. Takes a few days.

We have lost over 25% of what we had just 1 month ago!

Advisor/broker won't return our calls.

What a nightmare.

What a GD nightmare.  

To not blame Trump for any of this is ludicrous and hypocritical to the max.

The entire last 3 and 1/2 years have been one big anxiety creating conflict, controversy and personally attacking or overly bragging circus on an almost daily basis!

If this national angst was happening under Obama, the 1% repubs and their massive media propaganda machine would be pounding Obama 24/7 as the worst president in our history.

Putting a one track money mad mind set egomaniac in our highest elective office is the biggest mistake we could have made. 

And we are all suffering to unimaginable degrees because of it.

Edited by Joe Bauer

49 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Speak for yourself.

I danced a jig yesterday, and not just because it was St. Patrick's Day!

Part of the whole Trump appeal is that he gets under peoples skin.

You either get the joke or you don't.

Obviously you don't.

If you think about it, the much of Left of Center really doesn't have much of a sense of humor.

You get the Mark Zaid Prize:

https://www.moneymetals.com/donald-trump-1-oz-silver-round/303?keycode=ADWORDS-DISPLAY-ECOMM_SMARTDISPLAY&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoIPSi9ak6AIVScLtCh1LrQDBEAEYASAAEgKAdvD_BwE

1oz-trump-silver-rounds.jpg.05d0a00bc7843684ffa599c721c7187f.jpg

Edited by David Andrews

1 hour ago, Robert Wheeler said:

It looks like it is man made. If it is, it is a political ploy by default. 

There's a lot of chatter about different sequencing of the virus for Iran and Italy. I don't know if that's true, but it would certainly push the narrative towards man made. The whole Charles Lieber story is ugly at best too. Additionally, the latest consortium news article by Escobar certainly doesn't discount the possibility of it being man made. 
Regardless, trumps response was pathetic and inadequate. His responsibility to the nation was deferred because he couldn't get past himself. He seems to understand that to some degree now at least.

Trump is now calling it the Chinese Virus. He wants to remind us every day where it came from as if that's going to help. I guess xenophobic utterance is irresistible, like pathological lying, for those afflicted with the mental condition.

But I think every president should be a role model. So I think I'll start calling it the Chump Virus. A virus that started in China and happened here on Trump's watch.

Also, if you keep going out to restaurants and bars and parties despite the warnings and risk, you're a chump.

48 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

Trump is now calling it the Chinese Virus. He wants to remind us every day where it came from as if that's going to help. I guess xenophobic utterance is irresistible, like pathological lying, for those afflicted with the mental condition.

There should be some back research on media prediction of virus pandemics originating in China.  I'm certain that's been bubbling on underboil for several years, like the name "Osama bin Laden" was before 9/11.

For instance, I re-watched Steven Soderbergh's 2011 film Contagion last night - a film that's gotten a lot of mentions in Coronavirus press.  The research consultant there was "Dr. Ian Lipkin - professor of epidemiology at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health." [IMDB], and the virus he envisioned is a hybrid inspired by "H1N1 (which originated in pigs), and SARS (believed to have originated in bats)." [Also IMDB]  Nonetheless, the first human contact with the bat-infected pig in the film takes place in a Hong Kong kitchen.

So, the probability of a "China-origin" virus has been floated as a world health risk for some time, st least since SARS in 2002.  How many people remember past media predictions of another pandemic out of China?

Edited by David Andrews

7 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

So, the probability of a "China-origin" virus has been floated as a world health risk for some time, st least since SARS in 2002.  How many people remember past media predictions of another pandemic out of China?

Reminds me of that question asked by Nathanael in the New Testament: "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" (John 1:46). (Just substitute "China.")