The Education Forum

I told you Tulsi's the one!

9 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Sandy - I take it you can afford better than the Bronze Plan level?

David,

Silver plans are subsidized and the subsidy amount is designed to make Silver plans affordable to everybody, regardless of income. The lower your income, the the greater the subsidy will be, and therefore the lower your share of the premium will be... all the way down to zero. (In which case you will be put on Medicaid.) So yes, by design we can afford a Silver Plan.

There are no subsidies at all for Bronze plans. So any low-income person who signs up for one is getting a really awful deal. For a little higher premium he could be enjoying a much better Silver plan.

Even Michael Moore mentions it as a sore point of the Democratic Party in his presentation.

Michael Moore complains because we didn't get a single payer system like most developed countries have. Most knowledgeable Democrats (including myself) agree that a single payer system is the way to go and that the current system is stupid. But to say it is Obama's fault that we didn't get the ideal system makes no sense. Because, first, Congress didn't have the votes to pass single payer, and 2) the ACA that was passed is far better than not passing any plan at all. As stupid as it is, it can always be improved upon by future Democratic presidents.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Moore complains because we didn't get a single payer system like most developed countries have.

I complain likewise.  In our lifetime, we will not see an improvement of the ACA by a Democratic admin.  Trump's best riposte was to cancel the penalty for not affording a plan in the 2018 tax year.

Affordability depends on income, regardless of our needs in spending that income on things we cannot afford to lose or neglect.  So an "affordable" plan was mooted in the case of many Americans, myself included.  My net income is entirely expended on pre-existing necessities, and has been for years.  It is a choice of healthcare or insupportable loss, followed by lawsuits and bankruptcy.

We are too large and too ill-paid a country to go without single payer healthcare.  To say otherwise is to say that every taxpayer is expendable.

I'm going to set up a gofundme.com page.  Perhaps supporters of the ACA will care to donate.

Edited by David Andrews

On 10/28/2019 at 12:01 PM, Kirk Gallaway said:

With Gabbard's  candidacy you can see how the one- issue- MIC conspiracy crowd rates in the greater scheme, about 1%

That 1% is not a reflection of how many people like Tulsi's ideas, it is much more a reflection of how our media controls who is allowed to proceed to the presidency. Most people didn't know who she was until Hilary disgraced herself with the Russian stuff. Tulsi is not a favored choice by the DNC which controls the party.

With the power of the MSM, the Neocon cabal that controls Washington and the press, plus the really bizarre way the DNC controls the primaries, its a miracle she  is  still around.

Edited by James DiEugenio

7 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

With the power of the MSM, the Neocon cabal that controls Washington and the press, plus the really bizarre way the DNC controls the primaries, its a miracle she  is  still around.

Jim,

Wouldn't you agree that Rupert Murdoch's U.S. media empire (Fox News, WSJ, NY Post, Washington Times, et.al.) has always been a major propaganda mouthpiece for the Neocon/Wolfowitz agenda-- since 9/11?

I'll never forget watching Bill O'Reilly ridicule Gary Hart on Fox News during Operation Shock & Awe in March of 2003.  The jingoistic Bush-Cheney war drums were beating loudly that night, and Gary Hart was being ridiculed by O'Reilly for arguing that our invasion of Iraq could destabilize the Persian Gulf and lead to a costly, protracted U.S. occupation of Iraq.

Meanwhile, Rumsfeld and his chief deputy Paul Wolfowitz were insisting that we could overthrow Saddam Hussein and liberate Iraq quickly and cheaply.

But something very odd is happening right before our eyes this week-- a remarkable sleight of hand by Trump's Minister of Propaganda.

The wily old Neocon war monger, Sir Rupert Murdoch, is suddenly promoting Tulsi Gabbard to re-label the Wolfowitz/Bush Doctrine the "Clinton Doctrine," and to blame the Democrats for Bush & Cheney's disastrous Neocon wars in the Middle East!

How did Murdoch suddenly become such a champion of ending our Neocon wars-- including Operation Timber Sycamore?

And how has Murdoch succeeded in using Tulsi Gabbard to undermine opposition to Donald Trump, Sheldon Adelson's "Neocon mule?"

Let's not forget that Donald Trump withdrew from the Iranian nuclear disarmament deal and also bombed Syrian government positions TWICE in response to false flag chemical attacks that were blamed on the Assad regime.

I answered this on the other thread.

I don't understand this.  In their desire to nail Trump, Tulsi gets thrown under the bus.

Beto dropped out.  Harris is shutting down operations in New Hampshire to focus on Iowa, I .E., she's about to drop out too.  With Bernie's heart attack it's going to come down to Warren vs Biden.

What is so amazing about this is that not on voter has case a ballot yet.

That is what the DNC has done to these things.  The debates are everything, as are the rules about them.

Edited by James DiEugenio

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:44 PM, James DiEugenio said:

Thanks Anthony.

But, you can wager that the MSM will now go after her as a Conspiracy freak.

No they won't Jim because then they would have to acknowledge Douglass' book.

Well yeah you may have a point there.

On 10/27/2019 at 12:03 PM, Paul Brancato said:

But the demonization is fracturing the Democrats and destroying any hope we have of coming together.

Paul,

The Clinton/Obama/Biden wing of the Democratic party should be destroyed. They have played a nefarious role and prevented any resurgence of the "New Deal" type democrat that Tulsi is at least close to.

I think these people explain themselves clearly every now and then and Obama recently did that for me.

"This idea of purity, and you're never compromised, and you're always politically woke, and all that stuff, you should get over that quickly," Obama said. "The world is messy. There are ambiguities. People who do really good stuff have flaws."

Can you imagine JFK or FDR saying that? Those guys empowered people with their speeches "I welcome their hatred" and "we all breathe the same air" etc... This wing of the democratic seems to primarily exist to prevent that from happening, and they've done a great job.

Edited by Dennis Berube
spelling

Still waiting to hear what forum members  have to say about Trump's Neocon Minister of Trumpaganda, Sir Rupert Murdoch, using Tulsi Gabbard this week to rebrand the Wolfowitz/Bush Doctrine the "Clinton Doctrine." *

Any thoughts about Murdoch's latest equine excrement?

Recall that Rupert Murdoch was one of the Neocon/GOP kingpins who pushed the U.S. into the 2003 Iraq invasion.

*   https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-can-defeat-trump-and-the-clinton-doctrine-11572389508

53 minutes ago, Dennis Berube said:

Paul,

The Clinton/Obama/Biden wing of the Democratic party should be destroyed. They have played a nefarious role and prevented any resurgence of the "New Deal" type democrat that Tulsi is at least close to.

I think these people explain themselves clearly every now and then and Obama recently did that for me.

"This idea of purity, and you're never compromised, and you're always politically woke, and all that stuff, you should get over that quickly," Obama said. "The world is messy. There are ambiguities. People who do really good stuff have flaws."

Can you imagine JFK or FDR saying that? Those guys empowered people with their speeches "I welcome their hatred" and "we all breathe the same air" etc... This wing of the democratic seems to primarily exist to prevent that from happening, and they've done a great job.

What’s your opinion of the Republican Party?