The Education Forum

The Irishman: A Crushing Disappointment

It cost me 15 bucks to see this, plus 17 bucks to park.  I also sprained my quadricep because the balcony at The Egyptian was so dark.

To say it was not worth it is an understatement. 

What follows is a combination review of the silly book by Charles Brandt and the elephantine movie produced by DeNIro and Scorsese.  Oh my aching back.

https://kennedysandking.com/articles/part-1-charles-brandt-s-i-heard-you-paint-houses

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully, you didn't spend more money at the concession stand.  But, what you are saying is basically true of most Hollywood productions in recent years.  They are not worth seeing.  I quit going to the movies some years back.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

It cost me 15 bucks to see this, plus 17 bucks to park.  I also sprained my quadricep because the balcony at The Egyptian was so dark.

To say it was not worth it is an understatement. 

What follows is a combination review of the silly book by Charles Brandt and the elephantine movie produced by DeNIro and Scorsese.  Oh my aching back.

https://kennedysandking.com/articles/part-1-charles-brandt-s-i-heard-you-paint-houses

What a shame, to see the cinematic talents of guys like Scorcese, DeNiro, Pesci, and Pacino used to reinforce the mythology about the CIA/Joint Chiefs' 1963 coup d'etat.

If you read that quote from Scorsese with Entertainment Weekly it really sums up how this picture got made the way it did.

He does not have the kind of historical or political perspective and background that Oliver Stone does.

To spend 160 million on something like this is just unfathomable.

I agree with John, so little out there.

The Current War, involving Scorsese , was just as bad in historical terms.

Like Joe McBride showed, Spielberg did a lot of work on movies like Schindler's List and Amistad. 

DeNiro was advised by some people that Brandt's book was not trustworthy at all, as i showed in my separate review of the book.  But he ignored that and proceeded anyway.

I mean David Ferrie in Baltimore to order the Maryland National Guard to turn over arms for the Bay of Pigs? 

LOL, yeah and I wished I had.

BTW, I do not read film reviews anymore for the simple fact that there are no reviewers worth reading.

As I noted in my review of Tarantino's joke of a movie about Tate/LaBianca, the whole institution of American film criticism collapsed a long time ago. Even Coppola admitted this in a candid moment.  He said the big film companies had bought off the newspapers through ads and other kinds of pressures. Kubrick even got a guy to change his review so it would be a better blurb for Full Metal Jacket. It said the film was the best war movie ever made. (I am sure Joe McBride understands this kind of pressure since it happened to him.)

That blurb was nuts. And Kubrick had to know it since he himself made a much better war movie decades earlier with Paths of Glory.

Once all this unethical influence set in, the real critics began to get marginalized.  And they slowly died out.  Its hard to believe, but at one time in this country we had Andrew Sarris, Dwight Macdonald, Vernon Young, Stanley Kauffmann, Pauline Kael, and John Simon all reviewing at the same time!  I read most of them and I then bought some of their books because I could actually learn something from them about art and history and aesthetics and acting.  What you have now is a corrupt practice with a bunch of hacks/flacks.  The only use for their writings is as bird cage liner.  And in my opinion, this has had an impact on the quality of product on the screen.

Edited by James DiEugenio

I posted something on THE IRISHMAN and the book but it seems to have disappeared, which baffles me.

I write about my PATRIOT GAMES review controversy to which Jim refers in my new book, FRANKLY: UNMASKING FRANK CAPRA.

Edited by Joseph McBride

Jim D. & Joseph McBride;

You must see film critic John Simon and JFK national comedian/conspiracy advocate Mort Sahl go after each other on this episode of the Dick Cavett show in 1970.

The tension is electric.

As much as I consider Mort Sahl a hero of the JFK truth mission, critic John Simon actually had the more reasoned comebacks as Sahl was going off with just too much anger imo.

Although Sahl has always felt that the JFK murder and cover-up should make us angry. That most of us were sedated in regards to dealing honestly and responsibly with the greatest crime in our history. 

Oct 3, 2019 - Uploaded by Archy L
Mort Sahl, Rita Moreno, Alice Playten, Rosalyn Drexler, Erich Segal, Robert Kaufman, Little Richard.

Edited by Joe Bauer

21 hours ago, Anthony Thorne said:

Not just Rolling Stone. Reviews have been near ecstatic across the board.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-irishman

I’d already anticipated the JFK material in the film would be disappointing and misguided, so if/when I watch it I’ll try and concentrate on other stuff.

In spite of the JFK disinfo  the basic story is Sheeran did Hoffa?  On behalf of who?  I'm waiting on the netflix release.

I call for an end to world cinema immediately.  The actors are all pedos and yachters and dope fiends, instead of the raging alcoholics we used to adore.  CGI has replaced honest human trompe l'oeil, nobody has any talent (except the underused Luke Evans), and all the insane, ahistorical story perversions we loved in yesteryear have been ground into the mire by the insane, ahistorical story perversions we despise today.  All the crappy realizations of great or competent novels have been immolated by crappy realizations of comic books, or worse, of graphic novels, which are comic books for community college graduates.  Let Luke Evans fend for himself!  Put an end to world cinema for at least a generation.  Let us return to and cherish the masterpieces of the pre-GHW Bush era.  At least then I'll finally get to see Diary of a Country Priest and Montenegro.  Maybe even El Topo. 

Edited by David Andrews

I haven’t read the book so I’m not sure - before watching it - what The Irishman says about who did what, but I’m just going to accept that it’s fiction and hope for some well directed scenes.

David - Jodorowsky’s films, including EL TOPO,  are apparently getting a big re-release next year. Arrow Video bought the rights and will be bringing them all out on Blu-Ray, and with some select festival screenings too.

10 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Anthony...you mean...I'll actually have to watch it?!

I once went to an all night drive in movie festival years ago here in Atlanta. For some reason they screened El Topo. I'm guessing the person scheduling the films was momentarily possessed by a spirit of hipster mischief when making that choice because,... well, it wasn't exactly the greatest mix of filmic entertainment and audience.