The Education Forum

"The Deputy Interviews: The True Story of J.F.K. Assassination Witness and Former Dallas Deputy Sheriff Roger Dean Craig."

I HIGHLY recommend this fabulous book by Steve Cameron called "The Deputy Interviews: The True Story of J.F.K. Assassination Witness and Former Dallas Deputy Sheriff Roger Dean Craig." I have reads hundreds of books on or related to the assassination of President Kennedy and this one is up there with the best! Very well written, entertaining, and INFORMATIVE; not the same ole same ole. You can obtain the book by writing directly to Steve Cameron on Facebook.

79728122_1647827042036283_233584918834184192_n.jpg

How did the book come about Vince since, as we know, Craig has passed on for decades.

8 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

How did the book come about Vince since, as we know, Craig has passed on for decades.

The author, Steve Cameron (also an actor), became fascinated by Roger Craig at an early age (relatively speaking- he was a toddler when Roger Craig passed away). He obtained exclusive interviews with Roger's lookalike son Roger Craig Junior (who was also a Deputy Sheriff after his dad's tenure-1978 thru the 1980's), as well as other close relatives who, to my knowledge, never spoke before (he has photos of them, as well [Roger Junior presented with him at the conference]). His book contains everything remotely connected to Roger Craig- his manuscript When They Kill A President, rare photos, all relevant documents, etc. It is also a very good read; well put together. He also makes a compelling case that Roger did not commit suicide (or, in the off chance he did, he was compelled to do so via coercion as Gary Shaw eludes in the book, as Roger had several attempts on his life)- the rifle was not his, he was in a good mood that day, he just renewed his fishing license in anticipation of a trip, etc. 

Ok, thanks.  YOu should put him in contact with Len Osanic.  He would probably like to have him on the show.

21 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Ok, thanks.  YOu should put him in contact with Len Osanic.  He would probably like to have him on the show.

Update! Len has his book and is going through it now. Will almost definitely have him on the show soon.

Roger Craig was correct about there being an Oswald lookalike coming down the embankment. This was corroborated by both photos and witness testimony.

He was correct in the initial arrangement of the shells, as is corroborated by Alyea and an interview with Mooney by Mary Ferrell in 1975.

The Argentine Mauser is stamped with the 7.65 calibre on top, as proven by David Josephs.

There were differences between what was in printed testimony and what was originally said before the Commission. (See Barry Ernest's book about Adams.)

8 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Roger Craig was correct about there being an Oswald lookalike coming down the embankment. This was corroborated by both photos and witness testimony.

He was correct in the initial arrangement of the shells, as is corroborated by Alyea and an interview with Mooney by Mary Ferrell in 1975.

The Argentine Mauser is stamped with the 7.65 calibre on top, as proven by David Josephs.

There were differences between what was in printed testimony and what was originally said before the Commission. (See Barry Ernest's book about Adams.)

Yes. Craig's original statements (the reports based on them) are very good and hold up well.

I would stick with the Babushka Lady, Denis. I went over your page several times and I failed to see how Craig was making up stories. Quite frankly, several of your photos are misidentified (not Craig). It sounds like you have a specific bone to pick with Roger and anyone who goes against the Dallas Police, Sheriff, or FBI point of view. In addition, I am not convinced at all by several of your arguments/ time 'synchronization' with regard to photos.

Also (as one of literally millions of examples): Hall of Fame baseball legend Roberto Clemente was often called both negro AND Latin; not an error to refer to someone as one or the other.

Edited by Vince Palamara

Not Craig. Note the color of the pants...and it just doesn't look like him and, ultimately, it cannot be proven that it was him anyway:

murray-grassy-knoll-people-craig-maybe-tif.jpg

You wrote "Murray 1-19 allegedly shows Craig (which I doubt) at 12:40 PM looking at the station wagon seen in the previous photo. "

A good thing you doubt it--it's not him. In fact, it looks like James Tague.

murray-craig-station-wagon1.jpg

Using a horrific-quality clip, you state at 1:17 that "a man looking like Roger Craig"...uh, it's not. An infinitely better quality clip of this exact film was used in The Men Who Killed Kennedy (I just saw it last night. I think it was in The Witnesses; one of the early ones) and the man is a reporter with a pen and pad to boot:

The rest of your page baffles me--unlike with the Babushka Lady, your Roger Craig page seems to (very) begrudgingly corroborate Roger, THEN you seize on a small discrepancy or what someone ELSE said about Roger, etc.

-you depicts several photos/ film excerpts acknowledging it is ROGER CRAIG; 

-"he was very credible in the first days following the assassination.

Indeed. This sort of reminds me of Peter Whitmey's blood lust in trying to debunk Jean Hill, who did undoubtedly exaggerate some things. However, at the end of the day, many of the essential details of her story/ statements ARE corroborated by what she said via the media/ television/reports (shot from knoll, etc.);

-My conclusion is that Craig did see a man looking like Oswald getting into a car.

-

Three citizens had similar stories: Marvin Robinson, Roy Cooper and Richard Carr. 

Craig’s story was reported on NBC later that afternoon and Chief Jesse Curry was also asked about it.

-Craig admits he does not know foreign rifles---But the other officers on the scene did. 

-The only rifle found on the 6th floor was this Carcano. No photo of a Mauser was ever seen because none exists. Yes, but, by that logic, you are calling the other beloved members of the DPD/ law enforcement XXXXX, too, not "just" Craig. It doesn't put Craig in an exclusive club all by himself. Others identified a Mauser.

For the rest, see Jim's comments, above.

If anything, your page strengthens my feelings about Roger-thanks! :)

What puts Roger Craig in perspective for me is his being proclaimed Man of the Year or something like it in I believe 1960 (?) by the Dallas Sherriff's office.  Such would not have happened without the approval of the old and corrupt Sherriff Decker ( I say this not lightly, there is proof).  Which means Craig towed the mark and walked the line within the departments official and unofficial rules.

Yet on 11/22/63 he unknowingly chose to defy his superiors and declare what he knew to be the Truth.  Then he stood by it.  Through being fired by Decker for it, he and his family harassed into poverty, attempts on his life, he didn't change his story.  One of those attempts succeeded or they drove him to suicide. 

Penn Jones helped them for a while but going from top of the DSO Deputies to persona non grata to fired was life changing.  Then blacklisted from other area jobs.  A tough row to hoe.

5 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

What puts Roger Craig in perspective for me is his being proclaimed Man of the Year or something like it in I believe 1960 (?) by the Dallas Sherriff's office.  Such would not have happened without the approval of the old and corrupt Sherriff Decker ( I say this not lightly, there is proof).  Which means Craig towed the mark and walked the line within the departments official and unofficial rules.

Yet on 11/22/63 he unknowingly chose to defy his superiors and declare what he knew to be the Truth.  Then he stood by it.  Through being fired by Decker for it, he and his family harassed into poverty, attempts on his life, he didn't change his story.  One of those attempts succeeded or they drove him to suicide. 

Penn Jones helped them for a while but going from top of the DSO Deputies to persona non grata to fired was life changing.  Then blacklisted from other area jobs.  A tough row to hoe.

Well said.