The Education Forum

Useful JFKA Books For a Toilet Paper Crisis?

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Catch 22 was one of the most beautifully photographed films of the era by the late, lamented David Watkin.

That was when Mike Nichols was really a director who's work you looked forward to.

He checked out with Day of the Dolphin. From then on, he did not do a feature film worth seeing.  Oddly, he did do two TV films that were pretty distinguished: Angels in America and Wit. The latter is especially good--well acted, forcefully directed, adroitly edited--  I would advise anyone who has not seen it to check it out.

I've always wondered how the Roman Polanski version of Day of the Dolphin would have turned out, with a different screenwriter and different cast.

"[Robert] Merle's novel, a satire of the Cold War, is supposedly the basis for this film, but the film's plot was substantially different from that of the novel." [wiki]

Edited by David Andrews

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Why are people buying up the toilet paper?  Is there some underpublicized alimentary component to the disease that I've neglected to notice?  Something visceral and slippery?

It's apparently based on the belief that most of our toilet paper is made in China, which means the supply could be disrupted, if not contaminated before we can contaminate it ourselves.

The idea that most of it is made in China is a lie, which means it probably originated with Donald Trump.

1 hour ago, Ron Ecker said:

It's apparently based on the belief that most of our toilet paper is made in China, which means the supply could be disrupted, if not contaminated before we can contaminate it ourselves.

The idea that most of it is made in China is a lie, which means it probably originated with Donald Trump.

????!!!!

Don't the Koch brothers own a US-based paper towel/TP empire?

Would anyone ship containers of bulky paper rolls overseas?

I nominate Philip Shenon's A Cruel And Shocking Act. Bought it remaindered, knowing nothing about him. Slogged my way through it and, when I was done, flipped the dust jacket around, so it wouldn't bother me when I saw it sitting on the shelf. Now it's The White Book. And I would get rid of it, except for the danger someone else could read it. Brilliant.

I wish I had the book that I never wrote. Several years ago I had the idea of writing an encyclopedia of the JFK assassination. I sort of made a start at it, but soon realized that the subject is just too, well, encyclopedic. Too much so for one person anyway. And someone beat me to it, Robert Benson, who even stole my title, Encyclopedia of the JFK Assassination. I think I would have done a better job on it (Donald Trump is starting to rub off on me), but like I say, the subject was just too YUGE. The sad thing is, if I had gone ahead and written it, perhaps there wouldn't be a toilet paper shortage today.

Ron:

Its Michael Benson.  His book is not bad.  But there is another one similar to it that I think is better, but I cannot recall the title.

I agree with George that Shenon's book is one of the worst of recent vintage. Right up there with Posner, and Bugliosi.

Jim,

Right, it's Michael. He also wrote Who's Who in the JFK Assassination, if that's the other one you're thinking of. It's good as a quick reference.

I didn't think about what I said on another thread being worthy of it's own.  But to explain about Noam Chomsky...  Jim might remember this as he's the one who educated me about Noam close to four years ago.

Four years ago this November the day after the presidential election in my frustration, anger, and fear about the future I googled "liberal writers", "left writers", more.  Looking for anything as far to the left from what had happened as I could find.  Noam's name kept pooping up.  In my ignorance I ordered three cheap books immediately.  After reading one fairly quickly I thought I don't really agree with much of this.  Slogging through another since I bought them my opinion of the first one was reinforced.  I started the third but didn't get very far.

This was around three years ago.  I posted about my frustration on a thread on this forum.  Jim kindly informed me about Noam's true nature.

Thus I have toilet paper for an emergency.  Until I finally carry it out to the dumpster.  No one should waste their time reading that junk.

His 1993 book, which I didn't buy, is a direct attack on the legacy of JFK.  See, "The Kennedy Assassination Cover-Up" by Donald Gibson.  

Oregon Police: 'Don't Call 911 Just Because You Ran Out Of Toilet Paper'

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/oregon-police-dont-call-911-just-because-you-ran-out-toilet-paper

March 16, 2020

In an almost hard to believe story which proves people are taking the "xxxx hit the fan" description of the current state of things way too literally, an Oregon police department had to warn people in a public announcement against calling 911 because they were out of toilet paper.

"It’s hard to believe that we even have to post this," police in Newport, Oregon stated in an official Facebook message. "Do not call 9-1-1 just because you ran out of toilet paper. You will survive without our assistance."

toilet-paperfile.jpg

The national phenomena of panic-buying toilet paper is the one thing in all of this that makes least sense, unless perhaps given that markets are in nose-dive — and who knows if currencies could be next down the line — people are viewing TP as the next currency of the post-apocalypse, giving new meaning to 'dirty money'. 

3 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

That's what I love about California-- the spirit of solution-focused innovation.

Meanwhile, in Trumptopia, the Mexican-hating Evangelicals are hoarding toilet paper, guns, and ammo-- presumably for the Rapture...  🤪

https://memedad.com/memes/1610964.jpg

Edited by W. Niederhut