The Education Forum

Useful JFKA Books For a Toilet Paper Crisis?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm down to under 16 rolls now.  With grand kids visiting I wonder if I should restock but with still empty shelves, how?  They say there is plenty on the way.  Where is it?  Are the hoarders all scooping it up early each morning, still?  It all kinda chaps my ass to be honest.  I hope not literally. 

https://www.wral.com/deputies-pull-over-stolen-trailer-full-of-toilet-paper/19020773/

GREENSBORO, N.C. — With toilet paper flying off the shelves, a North Carolina truck diver caused a stir when he was pulled over hauling 18,000 pounds of bathroom products in a stolen trailer.

The Guilford County Sheriff's Office issued a news release saying that deputies on Wednesday spotted the driver of an 18-wheeler and determined the trailer was stolen.

They followed him to a warehouse off the interstate and discovered that the driver was hauling 18,000 pounds of commercial bathroom paper products, according to the release. Capt. Daryl Loftis said by phone that the cargo included a mixture of paper towels, toilet paper and other commercial products.

My bargain-hunting sweetie, A.K.A. Internet Woman, has been in the habit for some time of buying t.p. in bulk, like, once a year. We are somewhat well situated as a result. She informs me that dreaded Amazon, along with it's infected warehouse workers, will ship you a portable bidet for around eleven bucks.

12 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I'm down to under 16 rolls now.  With grand kids visiting I wonder if I should restock but with still empty shelves, how?  They say there is plenty on the way.  Where is it?  Are the hoarders all scooping it up early each morning, still?  It all kinda chaps my ass to be honest.  I hope not literally. 

Good thing you bought those Noam Chomsky books, Ron... 😬

(Actually, the only Chomsky book I own is Manufactured Consent, which seems like a decent piece of work.)

Not a book, but a good long-read article in the new Texas Monthly. It's the story of a little-known school shooting in Austin in 1978. Bit of a stretch to call it JFK related, however the shooter was the 14-year-old son of LBJ's former press secretary George Christian.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-school-shooting-that-austin-forgot/

In 1978, an eighth grader killed his teacher. After 20 months in a psychiatric facility, he was freed. His classmates still wonder: What really happened?

1 hour ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Not a book, but a good long-read article in the new Texas Monthly. It's the story of a little-known school shooting in Austin in 1978. Bit of a stretch to call it JFK related, however the shooter was the 14-year-old son of LBJ's former press secretary George Christian.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-school-shooting-that-austin-forgot/

In 1978, an eighth grader killed his teacher. After 20 months in a psychiatric facility, he was freed. His classmates still wonder: What really happened?

Yes it is a very good read.  The first article I read in this month's issue when it came in the mail the other day.  He wouldn't have gotten the treatment or release in 20 months he did without his dad and mom's connections, or money imo.  A poor white or especially brown or black kid would have faced harsher penalties.  His school mates graduating junior high a  few months later then going on to different highs schools never knowing what happened to him was traumatizing for them then and on through life.  Dad's Austin connections as LBJ's former press secretary and mom's being a successful attorney there with her knowledge of the local legal system and judges in particular made it possible.  

Shout-out to ya, Ron.  Somehow, when I think of the contagion today, this is the song that runs through my head.

I wish somebody would lay their big spike down.

Remember - after this we're all going to have to prove we're not infected...

Edited by David Andrews

No TP in the grocery store today.  But they did still have corn shucks for tamales.  I wonder, should I have bought some to forestall the use of Chomsky's pages? 

36 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

No TP in the grocery store today.  But they did still have corn shucks for tamales.  I wonder, should I have bought some to forestall the use of Chomsky's pages? 

One of my sisters spent a semester abroad in the U.S.S.R. back in the early 70s, and she told me that the Russians used to use Pravda for toilet paper.  That was, allegedly, about all it was good for.

A lot of U.S. newspapers nowadays could be similarly useful, including the Denver Post.  Unfortunately, I only have a digital subscription.

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

One of my sisters spent a semester abroad in the U.S.S.R. back in the early 70s, and she told me that the Russians used to use Pravda for toilet paper.  That was, allegedly, about all it was good for.

A lot of U.S. newspapers nowadays could be similarly useful, including the Denver Post.  Unfortunately, I only have a digital subscription.

How does that work, digital toilet paper?  Could get messy?  

Edited by Ron Bulman

14 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

How does that work, digital toilet paper?  Could get messy?  

First you download, then you use your digits?  🤪

5 hours ago, David Andrews said:

I'm using half a brick I found in the garden.  I just rinse it off after.

Is the scarcity of paper products and other sanitizing making the viral situation less healthy?

Quite likely I'd guess.  Maybe you should sanitize the partial brick before re use?  Would flame work, lacking sanitizer?